Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:45 pm 
Today's ability:

Can spawn a dud item that sounds good. Planning to give this item to ksedlar.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:09 pm 
Lolol, that was my actual townie ability, but I could track the items too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:51 pm 
Ksedlar, what ability do you plan to suggest for tomorrow?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:16 pm 
I think the conscription-suicide ability seems pretty good right about now.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:04 am 
So Dgrazian has okayed the ability "spirit transfer," where I die and transfer my role and powers to another person, although town will be informed that I transferred my spirit. This seems to roughly be a conscription-suicide that is not done in person. The people I'm considering are:

Ellena
+ really excellent mafia (in a game where we knew nothing about roles and I would be living through the conscription, I would easily pick her)
- lives in EC, where we already have a lot of mafia
ltchin
+ pretty competent at being mafia (judging from her being rogue in Fall 2014)
+ lives in Random
+ lower profile than many other options
- possibly less active this game? (haven't seen her post all that much
Lily Chen
+ really excellent mafia
+ lives in Random
- conscripted last game
Josh Frisch
+ good player
+ lives in Random
- questionable ability to lie well
aok
+ really excellent mafia
+ people think he's innocent
+ lives in Random
- people totally expect a conscription/killing of him (if it weren't for this factor aok would easily been my choice, no debate necessary)
Anpere
+ has a role that is innocence based, according to his pm
+ looks innocent from being the first one to bring up Isaac's post
- not sure how he is as mafia
- tends to end up looking suspicious / getting lynched (this happens regardless of his alignment)
Lucy
+ good player
+ role we want to get rid of
+ doesn't seem out of place in Random
- often ends up looking suspicious / getting lynched (although this has only been when she's town...)
- not sure how she is as mafia (she's been accidentally killed by a mafia early on both times)

Things to consider:
The living in Random factor is relevant because if I'm dead, it's a big living group that wouldn't have any mafia in it. That said, you guys and everyone in my "consider" list are on Random's guest list (I added a bunch of players to mine during my desk shift: over half of my guest list (20 total) is playing in this game, so it's not suspicious.)

Getting a player who is wiling lead mafia is pretty important imo (Sasha and Jakob have never been mafia / are fairly new, and michikyo seems to be busier irl).

Who do people think I should pick?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:08 am 
To clarify "+ good player"

All the people on the list are good players, but this refers to players who are really into game (always put a ton of time into it, very strong town, gmed before, etc) but who aren't specifically good as mafia.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:42 am 
Okay, thinking through things more, I think I want to narrow my choice down to Ellena, ltchin, or Lily Chen. Especially with town people being publicly notified I'm spirit transferring, I think aok is too risky. I also think that Lucy might be arousing the suspicions of people at ET a bit too much. I'm worried about Anpere being too hosed to commit tons of time (like last game), and I'm worried about the fact that in previous games Josh has been known as "really easy to read as mafia."

I think at this point my pick should have a lot to do with how you guys are expecting game to go. If you're going to kill off all the high-profile players one by one (aok, Alex, Josh, Lucy, etc), then Lily Chen might be too risky, since it's suspicious if she's still alive when a lot of other high target players are dead. If you guys think you'll have problems making Random kills, Ellena might be a bad choice. Ltchin avoids both of these issues (also, actually looking at town square I don't think there are activity problems with her), but I think Ellena or Lily Chen is a better choice if you guys aren't worried about their respective downsides.

Basically, if your strategy:
Prioritizes killing high-profile players and/or Randomites (especially in Random) ASAP, we should go with Ellena (I think this will be best if you can pull it off; since having Randomites dying like flies will make the other Randomites paranoid and suspicious).
Prioritizes killing off high-profile players ASAP, but finds it hard to kill Randomites in Random, we should go with ltchin (I think this will be the next best if you can pull it off, since it will make it hard to kill mafia by "it being suspicious they're still alive").
Doesn't specifically focus on high-profile players and finds it hard to kill Randomites in Random, we should go with Lily Chen. (I think this is likely the most plausible scenario mafia is in.)

What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:20 am 
In light of the "Sammy Luo is rogue" info, I think I'm also cutting Ellena off the conscript list. Too many EC people.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:22 am 
Okay, Jakob has a good poison chance for Lily Chen on Wednesday and other mafia are concerned about her being too high profile, so I'm planning to spirit transfer conscript Lilly Chin.

Final relevant info: Lucy was sending me messages like this: "Wait no probably if I die today btwn 6 and 7 suspect ltchin." So don't kill her in a way where she sees it coming. Josh was also sending me similar messages about who knew where he was and stuff.

Kill priority list, in order:
aok - ASAP, looks innocent and is a dangerous player
Lucy - investigator and and excellent townie who basically slaughtered several mafia on her own last game. Though it may be possible to get her lynched (since Sarah Pratt is suspicious of her).
Josh and Lily Chen - generally good, involved players
Anpere - someone knows he's innocent via role information
Alex, Ellena, Kemus, lzahray - other good town players who could be dangerous
And finally, anyone who is talking too much (with good ideas), although be careful not to let someone right after they've expressed suspicions about a mafia

General strategy:
If caught in a lie or caught doing something weird, make up some weird ability about it. Generally don't volunteer your fake role powers unless there is a reason to, so you're less likely to get caught on bullshit. Lying is way easier this game because people don't know what is and isn't possible (e.g. investigators can have false results with no consequences.)

Be really careful about voting and proposing lynches. If your lynch suggestion is shot down and you are later caught, that person will look innocent. Also be careful about too clearly defending a person, especially if you don't have a reason to (Sammy and Jakob can probably get away with defending each other since townspeople often falsely trust people they hang out with a lot). Bandwagoning is your friend, although be careful to not have mafia obviously vote as a block. If there are two townies proposed for lynching, consider splitting your vote. Also, consider just not voting at all (if it's reasonable for you to not vote; michikyo is probably the one who can get away with it most).

Don't bother to kill inactives, and get people on the high priority list dead as soon as possible (once a few of them are dead you can mention something about it being suspicious that all these good players were killed but X is still alive, though don't do this for Anpere).

Break up or infiltrate different trust groups; ET and Clam are covered, and the Simmons group is probably small enough, but the Beast group could be problematic (although they've been hurt for being too trusting in past games a lot).

Jakob, Michikyo, and future ltchin, use your powers every day. If you're considering suggesting a lynch target, have Michikyo check if they're innocence-verifiable first. Jakob, don't worry too much about about poisoning being suspicious; bonus, uninvestigable kills are REALLY powerful, and if someone catches you before you get them poisoned, you can make up some townie power that gets charges from getting people to say words.

If some mafia needs to take a risk, have it be Sasha; since they can survive a lynch, and losing that power doesn't cost mafia as much. When lynched, claim something along the lines of politician (a past town role that could survive lynches).

Goodbye mafia, and good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:30 am 
One more thing; elected positions are probably bad for mafia. Even though they both let you make kills, the kills have too much accountability to be worth it IMO. That said, if petitions are getting made, getting elected keeps a townsperson from getting elected.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:57 am 
POison is not guaranteed uninvestigable.