Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hello Ghosties!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:22 pm 
You are dead now! What do you think of the game so far?

Post subject: Re: Hello Ghosties!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:36 pm 
That'll teach me to introduce myself to people discussing mafia at the glassblowing lottery. And I even wanted mafia to win!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:37 pm 
Aw, I feel like I'm all by myself in ghost world. Which I almost am.

Anyway, gods, why is michikyo coming up positive for killing me? Is this a secret game mechanism? Do ghosts get to know secret game mechanisms?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:41 pm 
I don't see why not.

Most of the investigators are insane or random. There are a bunch of standard investigations that exist, but not usually as part of a natural role.

So basically everyone is screwing up, but happens to be hitting mafia anyways.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:56 pm 
Funny because michikyo actually killed me last game and was subsequently lynched. Looks like mads dies >>> michikyo is lynched.

Somehow echoing back to the last game would be a weird/cool mechanic.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:10 pm 
lilychen wrote:
past roles and items are some linear combination of investigation-like abilities (investigator, superhero, genie, microphone, gay knight), invincibility-granting (medkit, conspiracy theorist, cynic, superhero, taser), innocence-establishing (gay knight, innocent child), role-information (seer, genie, vampire, police officer), mafia-guessing (conspiracy theorist, vigilante, taser), vote-manipulating (fake ID, mayor), etc.

Unfortunately, Lily is right on the money. Basically all roles are of that form, except a couple of "make up your own role" roles. It's hard to be creative.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:44 pm 
I love it when people get thrown under busses!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:11 pm 
Also, hold up, I'm so confused about the spirit transfer that was going to happen O_O

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:15 pm 
OMG I LOVE THIS POSSUM ROLE.
THIS IS THE GREATEST

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:17 pm 
I REALLY WANT THE ROLE OF POSSUM TO BE IN THE NORMAL GAME

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:22 pm 
The element of wtf would be gone though. And also it has the same problems as ironheart does, what with condemning a mafia with a 1-1 trade.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:23 pm 
ltchin wrote:
Also, hold up, I'm so confused about the spirit transfer that was going to happen O_O

Katie was too hosed to mafia, so she recruited Ellena. And Ellena is too hosed to mafia too, but 3 conscriptions in one game is just too imbalanced, so Ellena is just going to suicide.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:22 pm 
What's with all of these people signing up to play mafia if they're too hosed for it >_<" I know being mafia is too hosing, but this just feels a bit irresponsible, like I don't want to play if I'm mafia. Also, the mildly amusing metagame of "Oh, X is still in the game even though they're hosed. That means they're practically confirmed townie" which would lead to exacerbating the problem.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:26 pm 
Well, mafia also have the power to make up roles, changing daily. Which leads to a lot of conscription-suicides out of being mafia being proposed. A hard limit on two conscriptions in a game of this size seems reasonable, and this is how they chose to use it.

It's unfortunate though. But the metagame shouldn't persist throughout games because a role like that is just terrible and can only be used in a game as wildly experimental as this. Then again, I thought it would be terrible in the "fuck, now mafia is winning too hard" way, not the "fuck, now mafia is constantly suiciding way."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:48 am 
I have got to start psetting. Jesus Christ it's 1am and I'm still on campus.

Where did my life go? There's also someone else all sad in an athena cluster so I guess I'm not quite alone.

This game is intense to mod. And every time I feel like it's going smoothly, I get like 10pms in the span of five minutes and THERE'S ANOTHER ONE RIGHT NOW.

complain complain complain.

The game looks like it'd be fun to be playing in though, and that's the real point of modding.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:42 am 
In a normal game, conscription-suicide nonsense like this wouldn't be allowed (so it would be much more difficult to metagame 'x is still in the game even though they're hosed'.)

In this game, we actually didn't plan on having conscription in the game at all (!), but the wild-card ability, gave us an excuse to allow it when there were compelling out-of-game reasons to do so.

Also, yes, the gods have been very interventionist in this game, mostly on the side of the mafia (so far, though we're resolved to give the town a bit of love too.) No, this isn't fair, but we thought it was necessary to keep a broken game from shattering completely.

Bottom line is that ideally people are having fun in this game and NOT taking it too seriously...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:53 am 
Daniel Grazian wrote:
Bottom line is that ideally people are having fun in this game and NOT taking it too seriously...

I wish this was more true for every mafia game. Taking it seriously is fine of course, but for some people it stops being fun which is sad. Not really a game design problem, just something I've noticed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:02 am 
I'm planning on GMing next game (as I generally plan to after playing stresses me out.) It's definitely going to be much more normal than this game, but there are a few elements I'm thinking of using myself...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:13 am 
*nods* I notice that some people get waaaaay too paranoid and into the game but that's really just my opinion (I don't send out "alone with X" texts for example)

Overall, I really enjoy all of the chaos and randomness in this game. Thanks mods!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:24 am 
I'm glad that you found a couple of things you might want to port into the general mafia sphere.

That's what I was hoping. All of this lovely chaos can be a bit draining, but people may enjoy some aspects of it. And some stuff that the players made up would make really great additions to the normal game.

What do you guys think of the Daily Drama?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:48 am 
I really enjoyed game. I thought it was wonderfully implemented. You came up with some creative ideas (What was aradhana's role? Most of her posts rhyme)

I really enjoyed the Daily Drama. Today's in particular encourages in person meetups. Also enjoyed going around to NPs at ET and "blopping" them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:09 pm 
Ara made up her own role. Dgrazian said that it doesn't have any beneficial effect for town at all; she can force people to write in poetry if they make grammar errors.

I'm really interested in seeing what happens with Oreo. I think she's the one I'm rooting for the most. Although I really hope she doesn't kill Jakob; he seems like he'll basically be the one leading mafia when Ellena is dead.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:22 pm 
I definitely love the serial killer role and want it to stay. Also, it might be interesting to have some roles (like serial killer) kept secret because a town would know about a mafia in town, but might not know that there's a serial killer on the loose.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:30 pm 
I think that a serial-killer role is perfect for a game like this, but would be much harder to fit into a regular live action mafia game.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:02 pm 
There was a request that a ghost here,
who goes by the name of anpere,
must still speak in rhyme,
so he nulls the crime
the grammar police have enforced, dear.

(Obviously, there's nothing to make you speak in rhyme even in the graveyard, but it may still be amusing).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:33 pm 
About the hostage, honestly I would have played as mafia with extreme joy in any other week this semester, but I did not realize that my midterms and psets coincided so terribly with mafia. I was very happy with the role of investigator, but when I got conscripted my IRL life went to shit (like I think I may need to drop a pset now, and I've already begged another teacher to reschedule an assignment) and that's with only one afternoon of being mafia (which I mostly spent in figuring out how not to be mafia in the least harmful way to the mafia).

Mads and I were talking about some way to have it be so that people who are too hosed to be mafia but still want to play can participate. Perhaps you tell the gods when you sign up, and the result would be that those townies (+ a random selection of other players?) die when they are approached with conscription (and mafia gets the charge back? And it uses the mafia's daily kill? Idk, balancing mechanisms or something). I guess there are big problems with this, but it's just that otherwise I'd really only feel comfortable signing up to play summer games and that would be sad :/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:25 pm 
Kevin and I were also planning on leading a sprung game, so we may have to have a fight to the death.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:42 pm 
I also was/am hosed without realizing it before signing up, and became even more overwhelmed with just one afternoon of being mafia (which is why I decided to suicide-conscript you), so I completely understand. I actually don't know if there has been a game of Live Action Mafia where my grades/work haven't been adversely affected... Basically I picked you because summer 2 game mafia Ellena was so OP. Originally I was going to go with ltchin because she we were going to have a lack of Randomites, but then she was killed right before my power was scheduled to be used, and so I had to switch.

Conscription definitely can't sometimes trigger a kill, otherwise conscripting would become way worse and more constrained (most conscriptions happen just while being in class with someone or hanging out with them, which wouldn't be possible if your "conscription" might be investigated). Plus, there would be no reasonable way around starting role randomization. If it was at all known that someone was hosed or didn't like being mafia, they would be way more trusted and so much metagaming would happen. I would love to have a way to prevent myself from being mafia so much, but I don't think there's a way to do it without fundamentally breaking the nature of game. So I kind of feel like it's a situation where I have to risk being miserable in order to do something I really like, which is super shitty.

One thing that I do think is reasonable is if someone is going to be assigned a kind of insane role (like serial killer, or zombie), and game will do fine without the role, gms can pm the person they're assigning the role to and offer a chance to reroll with a normal role. There's one role (which should be kept secret) that I love and really want to put in the next game, but it's definitely pretty insane and I could understand someone not wanting to play it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:46 pm 
Ellena wrote:
Kevin and I were also planning on leading a sprung game, so we may have to have a fight to the death.

Oh no! IDK, I might feel excited about playing again by the next game. I did enjoy taking a GM break after the Summer 1 game though, and I think it helped make the Fall game lower stress.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:50 pm 
There's always the possibility of a 3-gm game or even multiple standard spring games (I remember last year there was enough interest for 2 spring games).