Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:30 pm 
Wait is AmyC in this game? I didn't see her on the player list. This is starting to really not make sense to me. I don't think Daniel actually killed Steven Mo, but he might be trying to cover for one of his Next House mafia buddies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:04 pm 
Nur wrote:
Personally, I'm of the opinion we should lynch both of them.
They may orchestrating the whole debacle.

i agree, we should lynch both of them. since at least one of them is the mafia. then mafia lose by the number's game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:10 pm 
So I'm a little late to the party, as I check the forums pretty sparsely. I'm on the fence with this issue though, and here's why.

I work in the same room as Spenser. Over the last two days, Spenser hasn't seemed to act too out of the ordinary. I spend most of the day with him, and he seems to act pretty regular. I was not with him that night when Steven was killed, though, so I cannot vouch for his innocence. I did ask Steve (his roommate) and Eva (the girl down the hall), though, and he did say that they were playing DotA that night.

Daniel's argument could be sound. However, it's too easy to do this "someone told me who told me" claim. Now, there are a couple possibilities to this. He could be telling the truth, he could be the actual investigator, he could be a townsperson trying to draw a reaction in a sequence that went too far, or he could be a mafia trying to run a risky gambit. Until more people stand up, though, I can't really make up my mind. I've asked Spenser a couple of times about this, and he's just really angry at Daniel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:33 pm 
bianca just told me to write that she's going to be in the country kitchen in 10 min.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:36 pm 
No need to lynch either of us yet. Wait for the other investigator(s) to confirm or deny my accusation, then make your decision according to that.

The three way communication link is very logical. It is an anti-conscription measure. Obviously, if I were investigator I would not want to publicly come out like this, but even if I merely knew who the investigator was I would be a powerful conscription target. This way, conscripting me will be useless, because I cannot even give the identity of the actual investigator.

And while I completely understand people's suspicion against me at the moment (though I should soon be vindicated) the three-person communication should not itself seem suspicious at all. Two reasons:
1. It's a logical anti-conscription tactic as described above
2. If the mafia try it, it is doomed to fail. There is a line of communication that can be traced back to the perpetrator.

I expect that the other investigator is one of the many inactive players in this game. Hopefully he/she will soon read the forum and perform the investigation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:39 pm 
And one thing that you should certainly not do (at least not yet) is lynch both of us. Either my story is true or it is false, and it should soon be either confirmed or refuted. Wait, at least for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:44 pm 
I honestly don't know how Daniel is so sure of himself. Sending information through two people? Probability that at least one of the 3 people is mafia is extremely high. Should any one of the people be mafia, the chain is screwed, and you guys just cost yourself an investigator. It doesn't make sense from any point of view.

I just don't buy it. If you're the mafia you should have tried to makeup a story that sounds more reasonable and use a strategy that actually makes sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:05 pm 
What's very strange is not only has there been no other claim against me, no one else has verified Daniel's so-called inspector's claim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:54 pm 
i think skates' argument is very weak. i'm voting for spenser tonight.
i'll be with jy for the rest of the night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:01 pm 
just putting it out there, everything skates claims to be "this does not make sense," pretty much makes sense to me. and stuff he claims to "you seriously expect us to believe that?" seems like perfectly normal arguments. personally i think when one claims things that make sense to be not sensible simply is trying to cover up a lie. i think we should still wait for the 2nd investigator, but nehh spenser u sound wayyyy too guilty for me to trust u. and dan is making a lot of sense and i believe him to be non-mafia. also daniel is bad at pretending--when my boyfriend was making him suspicious of me in the last game, i sensed it right away. i think dan is not mafia and we should not lynch him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:12 pm 
Announcement: Rutu is killed in her room McCormick #385 at 8:55pm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:33 pm 
My argument is this:

No one besides Daniel has come out with any information. I'm not sure if Daniel has been manipulated by the mafia or is the mafia himself.

He also sent me this PM earlier today in response to me (for all those who believe he is inspector):
"Skates, if I am wrong about this than I sincerely apologize, but you cannot blame me for acting as I did (trying to get away from you quickly) and subsequently revealing the message. It would have been an incredibly reckless move to fake that "investigation." If we do not get a second affirmative response, I will reveal the person who sent me the message, and s/he will surely reveal the fake investigator. Then you can lynch all three of us, and you will be sure to get at least one mafia!"

I believe it's pretty silly to lynch me on the basis of Daniel's claims, especially because no other person has claimed to have either heard from an investigator, or even heard from the same investigator that Daniel has. I already gave my alibi as being in my room with my roommate playing DotA, and numerous people walking by my room at 2am can verify this, including my roommate Steve, Eva my neighbor, and another neighbor Adam. Ask anyone around Next House about my presence and you can see for yourself. I hope you guys realize (especially JJ/JY, given how I much I trusted the both of you) that lynching someone on the basis on thirdhand information is not a sound strategy.

Finally, Daniel said himself he would like to wait until the other investigator corroborates his claim before any action is taken. I still haven't heard anything from anyone.

Also, if you really believe I killed Rutu, please investigate away too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:48 pm 
Have you guys considered Nur? Who is usually hanging out at McC? I don't know if we should trust Daniel...? Investigator, if we lynch Skates, inspect Daniel or JJ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:15 pm 
ok, i think it's pretty obvious that daniel cannot be mafia. seriously, by the time daniel made his "investigation result" claim, with only steven mo killed, we should have at least one investigator left. seriously, if daniel were lying, the investigator can refute him like whenever he likes. if daniel were mafia, it wasn't just risky for him, it's 100% losing situation for him. plus daniel made numerous "investigator, please investigate" claims. he simply CANNOT be mafia.

seriously, i didn't think something this obvious needed to be pointed out = =
and bianca, if u are still suggesting me or daniel is mafia, i'll start suspecting ur innocence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:21 pm 
btw, i suggested the 3-link communication strategy to daniel yesterday at dinner in baker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:26 pm 
hmm, acowall, u voted yesterday w/out joining discussion at all. u live in mcC too. what's ur alibi? if i were to suspect u, what's ur defense?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:27 pm 
1) Inspector please inspect me.
2) While I can't really prove it, I've been playtesting Civilite since 7am this morning, i.e. I've been on campus since 7am till 10 minutes ago.
3) My next door neighbor as well as the desk workers know I haven't returned to McCormick till 10 minutes ago. And if you ask any of the residents of the Annex (where Rutu lives) they'll you I haven't been there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:29 pm 
Also,
acowall (Ashley)
Hilary.Monaco
and
michiyohitomi(Judy Hao)
live in McCormick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:14 pm 
Hey this is Ashley (acowall)

Regarding voting yesterday and lack of posting:
I am new this round, and wasn't really sure what was going on at the beginning. I haven't posted because I really don't know anyone from the previous kill zone, and don't feel I know enough about the game or any of you to do any speculation yet.

The forums were complaining about people not voting though, so I did vote yesterday for No-lynch because I didn't have enough information to make an educated lynch decision, but wanted to show that I was trying to pay attention to the game and forums. I'm not sure if it's allowed (newbie and all), but Alex would be able to confirm that the text of my vote yesterday was simply "Not enough data yet..." Until I can make a confident decision or am persuaded by someone I trust to vote for a specific player I will continue to either not vote or vote No-lynch. If someone would like to tell the newbie which is preferred by the regulars, I'm happy to oblige.

As for the killing of Rutu:
I do live in McCormick, but did not kill her. I was watching Top Gear (AMAZING SHOW) on Netflix in Rm 435 (East tower, Rutu lives in the Annex). Obviously this is not a very useful alibi. In truth, I've been hiding in 435 all day (excluding a meeting with Olimpia Estela of MIT Libraries and Mary Masterman from 1-3), watching hulu and Netflix, terrified of the beetles that are hanging out in my normal room 428.

The only justification that I can give for why I wouldn't kill Rutu are simply that I'm not mafia, and I reallllllly despise stairs. I have an old knee injury that Nur can confirm gives me trouble with stairs and other activities. If I were Mafia, WHICH I'M NOT, I most certainly would have conscripted someone else to do the dirty work, because the Annex stairs are at a particularly tough height for my knees and its 2.5 flights of stairs (no elevator) to get to Rutu's room. Or I would have waited til I was working desk tomorrow night when she would inevitably come visit or walk by.

Hilary is NYC for weekend (she posted about this earlier), which leaves Nur and Judy, whom I will now avidly avoid (sry Nur). I will look into whom is on guest lists the next time I'm at desk and post if I find anything interesting.

That said, Hey everybody! I'm Ashley - this sounds like a really cool way to do mafia, and I plan to get more involved just as soon as I have a clue what's going on. Please don't waste a lynch or an investigation on me. I'm just a naive newbie still trying to figure out how not to get killed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:39 pm 
It would be slightly hilarious if one (or all!) of the mafia were a hitherto untalkative player working from entirely behind the scenes and not voting at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:52 pm 
I didn't assassinate Rutu..... I've been with my parents all day.. and I had music class from 4-5:30 and 8-10. I guess you guys can ask my parents are witnesses? but that would just be weird........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:57 pm 
Can we vote no-lynch since there's no consensus on what is going on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:35 am 
Wow, someone is out of the loop. I need to catch up.

I was out the entire day with three of my friends (Chao, Jason Chiu, and Sarah) celebrating Sarah's birthday. You can ask any of them, or a number of other miscellaneous people, to vouch for me.

I personally think bits and pieces of Daniel's story sounds a bit fishy, but it may just be the way that he's saying it. Also, his spiel about Steven wanting to remove himself from the game because of pressure? I don't buy it. The first day, Steven came and interviewed like, six of us individually. He seemed pretty into the game, and I don't think he would just easily decide to remove himself.

Anyways. I still have no idea who to lynch. There's been an influx of people that I don't really know in this game...