Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Thoughts on game
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:45 pm 
Well, Lily has agreed to meet her tonight. So she should probably wait until then and then kaboom Lily on sight.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:53 pm 
Oh, and then she should post, "I just vigilante-killed Lily Chen. She was mafia."

Then she could maybe bait mafia into wasting a set-a-trap charge.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:53 pm 
Dude, I just realized that from Lily ' perspective it looks like Ama is not only not a threat, but trusts Lily enough to investigate who she suggests. So looking forward to the meeting tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:07 pm 
Following the townies-lynch-anyone-who-looks-like-they-can-kill motif, whatever ama does may cause her to get lynched "just in case." Which I suppose doesn't hurt town that much since she's dying tomorrow night anyway.

Also, if there are witnesses (especially asjm), ama's GN kaboom is going to be less easy to hide as a vig kill.
I'm interested to see how asjm is going to deal with all this.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:10 pm 
Lol, I agree that she should do that, but that would be a hilarious mafia trick, to kill somebody in plain sight and say that you were a gay-knight/vigilante.

And I didn't tell anybody before I died that I was a gay-knight (I think set-a-trap makes role-revealing terrible here.)

My advise to Ama was that if I died she should 'Rule the town with an iron fist'. Unilaterally killing mafia definitely falls within that definition :-D

But I'm worried she'll die beforehand if she lets on about her role.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:13 pm 
Yeah, they might lynch her. My guess is that it would be about as reasonable as lynching Miranda (natural to do but wrong.) Possibly more reasonable than lynching Miranda. I haven't thought about it sufficiently.

She should do it anyway though. If she catches lily by surprise, asjm will hopefully be thrown for a loop.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:14 pm 
If she got Lily alone though, claiming vigilante would be better than gay knight IMO.

Actually, it's even better for Ama to wait to kill Lily after Lily suggests a new mayor, suggests a lynch vote, etc. Assuming she's confident enough that Lily will give honest opinions. It's dangerous game from Ama's perspective though. For all she knows mafia could have an extra kill today, and so keeping Lily's guilt secret could be bad.

I wonder if Dgrazian told her fmajluf7 was his investigator. If so, she could maybe bank that with Lily being mafia and accusing fmajluf7, she's likely not mafia. Then, Ama could tell fmajluf7 she made the kill so that she doesn't waste investigations (although there aren't actually any investigations to waste). Meanwhile, she could keep quiet overall. Plus, she probably knows that there's a decent chance she'll get killed tomorrow if she doesn't out herself as a gay knight.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:50 pm 
Yes, I told Ama that Francesca was my investigator. I didn't deliberately hold anything back from Ama.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:24 pm 
Yay, she killed Lily!

I'm REALLY glad she was decisive and didn't dither about it. Good job Ama!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:24 pm 
Then if Ama tells Francesca that you told her she was the investigator, Francesca will have good reason to believe that you trusted Ama, and thus good reason to believe that Ama really is a gay knight. A theoretical mafia (especially one who is mayor) pretending to be your gay knight could completely screw town over if they bluffed well enough, and someone pointing this out could disrupt Ama's control. But the loudest townies right now seem to be Ama and Francesca (and the remaining mafia is a relatively quiet one), so I think Ama is likely to keep her power.

My hypothesis is that gay knights are significantly more powerful in small games.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:25 pm 
Ama wrote:
Daniel Grazian was beyond hella sketched out by lilychen

I love that quote :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:26 pm 
Just realized that claiming vig would not have worked, because lily had the mic and asjm had the receiver :P :P :P

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:29 pm 
Gay knights are much, much more powerful here than normally. Two reasons:

1. The downside of dying the day after you're partner is killed is minimized by the fact that the game only lasts a few days anyway.
2. Gay knights are the only useful investigations this game!

When I've been gay-knight before, I haven't even been certain that my role was better than a vanilla townsperson. In contrast, I felt like a powerhouse role this game.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:32 pm 
Wheee, now I'm dead. I honestly did not see that coming. Well played, Daniel and Ama! Good job all around, town. This was definitely not my best game... (I wasn't thrilled to find out that I was mafia, but alas.)

I'm not optimistic about mafia's chances at this point. I hope asjm figures something out. I think there's a larger chance that we'll lose due to not being able to make a kill than asjm getting lynched.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:34 pm 
Do receivers and cameras make a distinction between mafia kill, vigilante kill, and gay knight kill? Also, hi Lily, it's so good to see you! :P

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:35 pm 
Nah, asjm will be able to make a kill. It just might not be a good kill.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:38 pm 
Asjm has the receiver, and I was kaboomed by Ama, so I imagine he'll be able to figure out what happened. I don't think they distinguish between killers, just between bangs and kabooms.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:39 pm 
Cameras and receivers only "hear" the word bang, or see a person die. They're both destroyed by kaboom. They thus only give the killer, no other information.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:43 pm 
The rules say "If the player holding the microphone is killed by "KABOOM," the player with the receiver will be informed only that a "KABOOM" was used."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:52 pm 
Oops, I think that's not properly implemented, I think. I'll send asjm an email telling him he hears a kaboom.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:04 pm 
Can you please also tell him that the denizens of the graveyard would appreciate it if he continued posting his thoughts and plans in the Mafia Den? :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:17 pm 
So the good news for town is that asjm's kill target is, correctly from his perspective, Francesca. But if he uses kaboom, he'll almost certainly be facing either conspiracy theorist tsims with him on the list or activated cynic lgunder (Gods, can we see who lgunder has on his watchlist / cynic list?) in the endgame.

The main dangers for town are electing asjm mayor, lynching wrong, and having asjm correctly guess a role via set-a-trap.

Also, Gods, how would you rule if game ended with two players both voting for each other? In the past tied lynch votes with no tiebreaker votes were decided by a coin flip, but with the rule being "both die" it seems difficult to give either side the victory. I guess game could be a tie, which would make live action mafia history.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:24 pm 
I doubt a perfect tie would happen if we use extended tiebreaker logic because Miranda voted for asjm on day 1 :p

Um, if we don't do that, I guess we'll have to wait and see...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:26 pm 
Oh, cool! It would be crazy if town won based on Miranda's day 1 vote.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:29 pm 
ksedlar wrote:
Oh, cool! It would be crazy if town won based on Miranda's day 1 vote.

Dude, I want that to happen now.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:31 pm 
Also it looks like lgunder's cynic list was lily and tsims. Presumably he'll update it if he doesn't forget. I don't see his police list, though, and I second the request for gods to tell us.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:39 pm 
I'm not sure he has made a police list yet :( to be fair, he was pretty busy yesterday

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:45 pm 
asjm just convinced fmajluf and ama it was a good idea to impeach Lane (and not elect another po) :( I guess this doesn't actually affect much for at least one more kill.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:58 pm 
Well, it actually is. :shock: Police officer has slightly negative utility to town; all non-gay investigations are worthless, but getting kabooms instead of bangs is useful for mafia (and more useful than it would be for a vigilante). Small game dynamics are weird.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:32 pm 
I deliberately waited to reveal the positive investigation against Miranda in large part because I didn't want to make the mafia suspect that the investigator lived at ET. Seems to have payed off.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next