It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Roles list?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:00 am 
Gods, could we get a roles list?

Post subject: Re: Roles list?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:20 am 
You mean the one in the town square isn't enough info? :P Fine, here:

ama (role: gay knight with Daniel Grazian)
asjm (role: mafia)
Daniel Grazian (role: gay knight with ama)
fmajluf7 (role: investigator)
lgunder (role: cynic)
lilychen (role: mafia)
Lucy (role: IC)
Miranda Gavrin (role: superhero)
tsims (role: conspiracy theorist)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:32 am 
Also, here's a list of mafia powers. We're feeling like this might be a bit OP, and we could nerf things if this seems to be the case.

2x Kaboom
3x Set a Trap (non-regenerable)
1x Slaughter the Weak (regenerable)
1x Hire a Hitman
1x Frame a Townsperson
2x Manipulate the Press

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:34 pm 
2 Manipulate the presses is definitely OP. There aren't even 2 Manipulate the Presses in games that have ~60 people.

Game will probably last 4 days. So mafia can hitman, manipulate+kaboom, manipulate+kaboom, frame (and framing with only a few people is basically equivalent to a null investigation).

Assuming no traps are set, that means mafia can make kills on days 1-4 with no chance of being caught through investigations, and no chance of being caught through "I do not die." until the last day of game (at which point beef between two players likely means nothing anyway). Included is 4 kills, a likely gay knight death, and 3 (if no lynch day 1) lynches that are based off of soft suspicions, and which have to hit mafia 2/3 of the time for a town win.

So yeah, definitely OP.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:27 pm 
OK, so seems we should remove an mtp, and *maybe* a kaboom? Don is another OP-ifying power, but we were afraid that without these things the raw power of investigations (especially if town manages to get a mayor/PO elected) would expose mafia too easily.

I guess on the plus side for town it looks like mafia is planning on using hitman+frame+kaboom all on the first kill. We'll see what we can do to make things more balanced...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:13 pm 
Can you post the Rules in graveyard? I can't access them through the web app (I don't seem to be able to log in). There's been a lot of variation on what don/mayor/police officer do.

Basically configuring balance in such a tiny game is REALLY hard. What I did when I ran a game last summer was give less total power, but without eliminating the powers from existence, e.g. there was a single charge that could be used as manipulate the press OR hire a hitman.

For a 16 player game (2 mafia no rogues), I gave the following powers:
1 conscription
1 manipulate the press / hire a hitman
1 frame a townsperson / plant evidence
2 set a traps (these were regenerable)
1 slaughter the weak
2 bring out the big guns

This was the ruleset: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mrA ... wg1k/edit# (I think the main items of interest are the existence of seer (relatively strong role), backup (weak role), no police officer, and a mayor that investigated every day).

Mafia proceeded to absolutely crush town, not even losing a single mafia and without town even knowing who a single one of them was by game end (but that was very player-determined, rather than power determined, IMO).

Mafia has more powers (not counting conscription) available in this game than in that game. So I think it's very likely that mafia have too many powers here. IDK about removing a kaboom (I'm hesitant to only give them one), but I think you should cut a Manipulate the Press and a Set a Trap (yes, non-regenerable makes them weaker, but in a game this size that probably doesn't change much about the power). If I were GMing, I would have given a single hitman/MtP charge that could be used for one or the other, but that's a non-trivial change from your rules and I'm not sure if you want to do it, especially because game has already started.

Also, sorry if I'm being too involved of a spectator here.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:10 pm 
An up-to-date copy of the rules can be found here:

https://github.com/jake223/Mafia-rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:23 pm 
Hmm, I guess mayor/police officer are also decently powerful for this size of game, and they basically see through MtP. Probably having a hire a hitman and a MtP is actually okay.

I do still think there should be one fewer MtP and one fewer set a trap though. I think that's more balanced, and it shouldn't interfere at all with what mafia is planning so far.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:19 am 
Investigators, other than gay-knights are virtually useless in this game. It was coming to this realization (solidified upon learning that don was in the game) that made me so convinced that Miranda was innocent.

Unfortunately, I wasn't fast enough to come to this conclusion with absolute confidence, so I ended up making a half-hearted 'compromise' effort to stop Miranda from being lynched.

So too my credit, I was the only one to realize how obvious it was that Miranda was innocent. To my blame, I didn't figure it out quickly enough, and I didn't act decisively enough when I did.

But my reasoning is basically written in the town square.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:13 am 
You did well--Bayes points for realizing positive investigations are evidence of innocence at least as much as guilt. Maybe if the result had come out sooner--and I had been checking the forum like I should have--I would have lived. So it goes :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:18 am 
No, that was my fault. I was sitting on the investigation result for a while, because I wanted to see how you acted before the result came out.

But I didn't know that don was in the game until less than an hour before day-end, and that was the 'final straw' for convincing me that you were innocent. Still, I should have been faster...