Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Day 1 discussion
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:17 pm 
Petitions to elect daniel grazian, asjm, Adam Rodriguez, tsims, and Lucy to both po and mayor have been created.

Post subject: Re: Day 1 discussion
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:21 pm 
What's the reasoning behind selecting those candidates? I'd also be interested in running for either of those positions as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:24 pm 
I decided to create petitions for myself and Daniel (Since he was with me).

Franchi thought we shouldn't take volunteers and so daniel suggested the other three. I'm not really happy with tsims and asjm. Franchi is not really sure about adam.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:35 pm 
So you're not taking volunteers, except for yourselves? Right.

Last time Dgrazian suggested an "arbitrary" candidate, it wasn't exactly arbitrary. Game just barely started, so I'd be interested in hearing what about those people makes you already like/dislike them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:44 pm 
I'll let daniel explain his reasoning. I like adam because he's probably the hardest to kill and I don't think that's true of the other two. Though I'm starting to reconsider since I don't know how active he's likely to be. Franchi I think didn't like adam because I was pushing hard for him/against the others.

Also I was fine with proposals made by myself (me and dgrazian). Franchi arrived later, said that was sketch/a bad idea and Daniel agreed (though he was busy playing minions until she got there so I do believe this is something he would have brought up himself in due time)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:50 pm 
Jfrisch is probably more difficult to kill than Adam, imo. But yeah, paying attention to game and being involved are probably more important than being hard to kill.

I'm probably going to be pretty selective in which mayoral petitions I sign, and I don't think we should even elect a police officer in this game, since the mafia have enough powers to make investigations pretty useless, and giving mafia police officers free kabooms probably makes the position a net negative for town.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:54 pm 
Ok sorry, I take that back. (I didn't realize the mafia don't have a Don this game.) In that case electing a police officer might be reasonable.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:05 am 
I agree that PO is more dangerous than mayor but I don't think mafia have that many ways to waste investigations. (Especially mayoral/PO).

I initially made a mayor/PO petition for myself and only a mayor petition for Dgrazian, then offered to make him a PO petition as well though I told him I wouldn't sign it. Kabooms are always good for mafia, extra votes are also always good for mafia but definitely get more dangerous near end game so I feel more comfortable electing a mayor now, knowing we can impeach them later.

I would probably be willing to sign some more PO petitions at a town hall meeting/after I have more information.

(Atm I'm making all/most of my actions firmly from my own town-biased perspective rather than doing things that are objectively best for town)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:16 am 
If we elect a PO, it should be someone who volunteers with the understanding that they're implying they probably have an investigative role (investigator, superhero, desperado), since those synergize with the PO investigation mechanic w.r.t. gathering clues. And mafia would probably kill them off pretty quickly or we lynch them if they don't die in 1-2 days.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:25 am 
Lucy wrote:
I'll let Daniel explain his reasoning...

I agree with/can confirm everything Lucy said in this post.

I arbitrarily (actually this time) suggested Adam, asjm, and tsims as comparatively low profile players. Lucy preferred Adam because (paraphrasing her) 'He's harder to kill, and I arbitrarily selected him from the group of people you supposedly arbitrarily selected'

Francesca preferred asjm and tsims I believe because she thinks they're less likely to be inactive. I tend to agree.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:26 am 
Lucy wrote:
I'll let daniel explain his reasoning. I like adam because he's probably the hardest to kill and I don't think that's true of the other two. Though I'm starting to reconsider since I don't know how active he's likely to be. Franchi I think didn't like adam because I was pushing hard for him/against the others.

Also I was fine with proposals made by myself (me and dgrazian). Franchi arrived later, said that was sketch/a bad idea and Daniel agreed (though he was busy playing minions until she got there so I do believe this is something he would have brought up himself in due time)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:28 am 
Ignore my last post, with the giant quote and no context.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:29 am 
I am wary of giving even that much role information.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:40 am 
Saying or implying your role in a superset of 3, in a game with no regenerating Set a Traps, is not giving away that much information.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:59 am 
Gods, can you confirm that if a (say) investigator is also a police officer, then the police officer can use investigators' clues to investigate. In other words, the police officer can make double investigations even if they have not predicted a death correctly?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:02 am 
I think I agree with lily but we all need to be very careful to not let any other role information slip.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:04 am 
Daniel Grazian wrote:
Gods, can you confirm that if a (say) investigator is also a police officer, then the police officer can use investigators' clues to investigate. In other words, the police officer can make double investigations even if they have not predicted a death correctly?

Pretty sure this is how Police Officer has worked in previous games. The rules say "Once per day, the police officer may make an investigation, as if they were an investigator," which implies they can make an investigation once per day as long as they have a clue. The rules go on to say "You may make other investigations on the same day if you have a role power that allows you to do so. You may share clues between your police officer power and your role power," which I read as pretty unambiguously allowing an investigator Police Officer to make 2 investigations per day, regardless of whether they cynic-guessed correctly as PO.

jammy wrote:
1x Conscription and 1 Original mafia, or 2 Original mafia
0x Elect a Don
3x Set a Trap
1x Slaughter the Weak
1x total from Hire a Hitman, Poison, and Scheme
2x total from Frame a Townsperson, Manipulate the Press, and Plant Evidence
2x KABOOM!

My general impression of this setup is that the mafia are significantly under-powered this game.

Let's say town has 1 investigator and 1 superhero, and a mayor and a PO who has an investigative role. Then there's 1 + 2/3 + 1 + 1 = 3.66 investigations per day. The mafia have at most 2 uninvestigatable murders (at most 1 from Hitman or Poison, at most 1 from Manipulate the Press, which is pretty weak in this setup -- it can't thwart a mayor, or a PO who's cynic-guessed correctly). If town correctly elects a mayor and PO who can consistently make investigations, then town has enough investigative power to just brute-force the game before too long.

So let's just do it right and brute-force our way to a victory, guys! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:08 am 
I think I'm looking to be pretty embarrassed for not realizing how police officer worked in the last couple games :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:30 am 
I propose a town meeting between 5 and 7 pm to discuss all this.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:31 am 
To confirm, yes, PO gets an extra investigation assuming they have clues from another source.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:23 am 
I like the idea of a town meeting; where/when should we meet?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:52 am 
Sometime between 6 and 7 works well for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:06 am 
Ok, I agree that we want an investigation-capable role for police officer.

Let's discuss this at the meeting tonight (6:00 is good for me.) In the meantime NOBODY give any role information to ANYBODY.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:24 pm 
where should we hold the meeting? I think EC or somewhere else on campus would be best, to have a nice middleground (also I'm lazy).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:39 pm 
How about either EC courtyard or the first floor of the student center?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:44 pm 
I'd prefer EC courtyard.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:56 pm 
I also prefer the EC courtyard #lazyasfuck #4flights4many

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:37 pm 
@tsims you only need 3 flights of stairs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:41 pm 
I probably can't make it, sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:32 pm 
I should be able to make it. 6pm, EC courtyard.