Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:52 pm 
I wouldn't worry all that much about general safety issues yet (except for special roles like inspector, politician etc.) The mafia have already demonstrated that they have no problem making kills. If somebody were to get killed when they were leaving Random, then 1. we have the whole day to discuss it and be safe 2. we would probably have a relatively narrow range of suspects.

As far as being available to vote, people can just borrow laptops. And especially tonight, I'm not concerned about voting disasters, because no lynch seems to be the consensus. (Though I personally am not confident this is a good idea, I'll cooperate with it just for this first day, unless something major comes up.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:58 pm 
As Elizabeth has already said, we've both been on a train for hours now (tickets as proof if necessary). Does anyone have a general idea who, out of the Random residents, were actually AROUND Random at that point?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:59 pm 
[quote="Alex"][quote="JB Parkes"]Since the search warrant is probably in the mafia's hands, I'd recommend not touting whether you have items from this point forward.[/quote]

The rules require you to always carry your items with you. That way whenever you have an item, there's a risk of it being taken by search warrant or murder.[/quote]

I think what JB's saying is that you shouldn't talk too loudly about it if you have an item. Although...If you have an item, yes you have to have it on you, but do you have to have it visible? If not it'd be pretty easy to keep it quiet that you had the item.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:00 pm 
*insert complaint about computer being dumb here*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:00 pm 
*insert complaint about computer being dumb here*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:01 pm 
QED

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:04 pm 
Elizabeth Krueger wrote:
Alex wrote:
JB Parkes wrote:
Since the search warrant is probably in the mafia's hands, I'd recommend not touting whether you have items from this point forward.

The rules require you to always carry your items with you. That way whenever you have an item, there's a risk of it being taken by search warrant or murder.

I think what JB's saying is that you shouldn't talk too loudly about it if you have an item. Although...If you have an item, yes you have to have it on you, but do you have to have it visible? If not it'd be pretty easy to keep it quiet that you had the item.

My mistake. I confused touting with toting.

Last edited by Alex on Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:05 pm 
I've been away from Random all day too, I was in New Hampshire skiing and then at home in Newton.
<insert plea about this not being a secret mafia ploy here>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:10 pm 
Elizabeth Krueger wrote:
In response to the list of Randomites posted, I just want to say that I've been (and still am) on a train back to Boston, so it is physically impossible that I killed her.

Anyone in an accusatory mood will probably point out that I'm trying to deflect attention from myself and therefore I'm obviously mafia, etc etc. However, I just don't want to be in the running for who-do-we-blame-for-killing-Laura.

It is true that it is impossible for you to have killed Laura. That's not deflection, that's an alibi. You were not the killer. You however are absolutely a suspect for being mafia as is any of us.

Quote:
Also, Brogan was on the train with me, further narrowing the probable suspects list for Laura's murder.

Relevant testimony.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:15 pm 
hmm, i do think randomites are more likely to have made the kill - at least someone who goes to random a lot, in order to know what laura looks like/where she can be found etc

so at this point, if a lot of people from random can provide valid alibis + interrogate those who cannot provide valid alibis => reduce the suspect to mafia ratio to <1, then it wouldn't be a bad idea to lynch the most suspicious person. so yeah, people, speak out loud if u have alibis!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:20 pm 
As the first kill of the game, it will be the one where the most time is spent investigating. I wouldn't be surprised if mafia either got a hitman or scrambled the presses to make it that much harder on the investigators. It's what I'd do.

If you want my alibi: I was making banana tempura @ tEp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:28 pm 
JB Parkes wrote:
That's not deflection, that's an alibi. You were not the killer. You however are absolutely a suspect for being mafia as is any of us.

I understand that. I didn't say that I was trying to deflect attention, but that someone might think that and thereby conclude that I was mafia. Nowhere did I say that this should be taken as decisive evidence against the possibility that I could be in the mafia, and I fully understand that you have no more or less reason to suspect than anyone else at this point. I was just trying to avoid any immediate assumptions that because I'm being up front with providing an alibi I obviously have something to hide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:32 pm 
On the basis of the previous posts, amend my previous list of people to investigate to:
alexwest
AmiGreene
Bobby Fortanely
Brian Iglesias
Daniel Grazian
Fluffy
JB Parkes
kaima
Kate O'Connor
Lydia Krasilnikova
mats_a

A couple people I'd particularly like to see investigated include:
- Lydia Krasilnikova
- Kate O'Connor
- kaima
- AmiGreene

I am slightly more suspicious of them than the others. Nothing definite, though. I'd just like to see them investigated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:09 pm 
At 6:10 PM today I left to the Galleria in order to pick up an event Raikou, deck of Magic cards, and DVD box set of Full Metal Panic. I caught the 7 PM bus ride back. I have the receipt from the Best Buy transaction which is timestamped for 6:57 PM. It is highly unlikely I could have made it from BMF to Best Buy and made a purchase in eight minutes. Therefore, I could not have been Laura's killer. I can provide the receipt for inspection on request.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:39 pm 
Regardless of where you live, it's always good to provide alibis after a kill. Last year we had someone who lived in Next go over and kill someone in McCormick, and we never even though of the possibility, instead choosing to lynch someone at McC instead. So yes, it happens, and we should still be wary of everyone.

As an alibi... first, I don't know what Laura looks like (and still don't). At 6:49pm, I was also asleep. Lame alibi, I know, but there's no other real way to prove I was here.

I am still voting no-lynch. Our suspect list is still too large to accurately pick someone out, and it's getting close to midnight. Let me know if anyone discovers anything, and I'll change my vote accordingly if it's useful information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:00 pm 
Alright, alibi time... Writing this from Foo lounge, as many people playing regular Mafia can confirm - I got here about 15 minutes ago and wasn't in Random at all earlier today (if you must know my whereabouts, I was in SidPac all day until around 8pm-ish, and then MacGregor until I came over here. Didn't see anyone involved in the game all day until I got here - but I can have out of game folks vouch for me if necessary.)

Also, I still haven't met Laura, afaik.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:07 pm 
@vivian: haha that was me ;P i also had an elaborate alibi and dressed up when i made the kill, so people thought i was some class of 2011 lol...

so yeah, at that time i was in my room w/ my boyfriend, unfortunately no witnesses other than my boyfriend (but he lied for me last yr, so i guess he's not that creditable)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:10 pm 
Votes are due at midnight (in ~1 hour). Don't forget that you may vote with a Fake (if you have one) in addition to your regular vote. Please include the ID number in your PM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:11 pm 
JingJian-JJ wrote:
@vivian: haha that was me ;P i also had an elaborate alibi and dressed up when i made the kill, so people thought i was some class of 2011 lol...

Joy also did it too in the first game, and we all ended up lynching Hilary or something, haha.
Someone just came by and knocked on my door... I didn't answer, but then I realized that it's not midnight yet and thus I'm safe. If it was important, whoever knocked can come back and and chat~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:11 pm 
I had dinner at 6 at Baker and came back to Next House at around 7. A lot of people were with me the whole time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:23 pm 
Vivian and I were talking online, each (presumably) in our own rooms at Next and ADP respectively.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:23 pm 
Oooookay. So Jason Chiu and I were just chatting and - if it hasn't been done already, it needs to be said.

Laura was the original holder of the search warrant. This means that, unless she passed it away before 6:50pm today, the mafia MOST LIKELY have the search warrant. As such, the Medkit and fake ID's should NOT still be in the hands of the initial holders (fluffy, brian, mats, kaima). I know it might be a bit early in the game to fully trust people, but if you don't pass on your items, we're basically giving them up to the mafia.

DO NOT POST on the forums who you pass items to (I hope this is a fairly obvious thing). DO NOT PUBLICLY POST any plans for meeting up - arrange via IM/PM/email with a small group of people and carefully execute.

In the case that you let people know you hold items, the mafia are probably going to search-warrant you and then kill you (otherwise, you'd know who they are...) so be on the lookout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:49 pm 
Brian Iglesias wrote:
At 6:10 PM today I left to the Galleria in order to pick up an event Raikou, deck of Magic cards, and DVD box set of Full Metal Panic. I caught the 7 PM bus ride back. I have the receipt from the Best Buy transaction which is timestamped for 6:57 PM. It is highly unlikely I could have made it from BMF to Best Buy and made a purchase in eight minutes. Therefore, I could not have been Laura's killer. I can provide the receipt for inspection on request.

FUCK I KNEW I FORGOT SOMETHING! TT_TT

Ah well. At least I have my Japanese Raikou, still -.-"

Anyway, I guess I'll vote no lynch, general consensus among people for day 1 still, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:49 pm 
k, so far no incriminating acclaims have been heard..i'm voting no lynch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:54 pm 
not people are playing...a little bit boring

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:57 pm 
I was in Chinatown with 4 other people who will vouch for me from 5-8pm. I'm voting no-lynch.

Yea - it was Joy that killed me in McCormick last game ;) don't underestimate people from other dorms coming to make a kill. However, there *are* 4 mafia. I think there is probably least one is in randomsimply given the concentration of players in random.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:02 am 
Around 6:49 today I was in Random Hall basement working out with my boyfriend. Ami Greene was also in the basement, watching Dr. Who with other people, including Bobby. So it couldn't have been either of us....

Post subject: alibi
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:37 am 
Sorry I haven't been responding, I was out all day.

Basically, my schedule today was as follows:

- 1-2 Taekwondo Demo Practice
- 2-6 HMMT Team Test Solving
- At 6, I hopped on the first Saferide out to my fraternity (Theta Xi), where I spent most of the rest of the night.

As a side note, whenever I am out, I check my iPhone very frequently, which means I check this forum, my email, and Facebook messages. Responding is a pain in the ass, though (except in email), so I might not do it immediately.

If you're in the game, friend me on Facebook! I will probably be visiting Random tomorrow (at a random time in the afternoon) to get to know some players better, so feel free to PM me or contact me in some other way if you want to talk with me (and preferably a few others :P).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:57 am 
I was being super lame and was in lab until 30 min ago. I checked the forum randomly but didn't type anything b/c I was wearing gloves. I did chat briefly with Hilary right before I headed out. People in my lab will vouch for me.

Also, be careful who you talk to. I was mafia the second game last IAP, and Daniel (who was detective, I think) decided to trust me randomly and told me his identity. That gave the mafia a serious advantage throughout the game. In conclusion, don't arrange one on one meetings. The more people, the safer it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:31 am 
A note about that. Joy is right that I randomly decided to trust her, but I do believe my decision was correct. The alternative was coming out as investigator directly (I had just gotten an affirmative result and it was important that the rest of game knew about this), in which case the mafia would definitely know who I was. Instead I randomly chose two people to tell the truth to so that they could come out as surrogate investigators. I was unlucky in this instance, but I think that our investigators would be wise to use a similar technique if they get an affirmative result. The worst thing that an inspector can do is get killed without having disseminated his/her investigation results.

I subsequently felt obliged to come out as investigator directly, but that was for independent reasons and does not affect the logic in the above paragraph.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2