Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Natter about this game
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:55 pm 
What, no natter thread yet? Fine, I'll start one.
I was amused when two halves of a cohabiting couple both got innocent child. I was even more amused when they trusted each other day 1. And now DGrazian attends a meeting and "arbitrarily" elects lily mayor. If I wasn't worried this would break the game for town, I'd be delighted. (I still sort of am.)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:23 pm 
It would have been so perfect! </3

And can we talk about how perfect Jakob + Sammy is?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:44 pm 
Damn, Mafia have their shit together. Killing me early, and then poisoning Daniel. At this point I'm kind of rooting for them to win... :-(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:50 pm 
Oh man, go Francesca for making it to South Station to investigate my death!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:42 pm 
Go Francesca for actually going to South Station and investigating my death!

And </3, because me and Daniel being ICs together would have been so perfect.

Mafia really have their shit together at this point. I told Jakob as much, but he put so much effort into killing me (stalking Amtrak schedules, waiting behind a pillar and watching for me in a reflection), that he really deserved to kill me. Plus poisoning Daniel was a good move, I think. I might be rooting for the Mafia at this point. :O

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:47 pm 
Yeah, the mafia really have it together. Also, one of them complained to me that there was no way fmajluf7 could have investigated the kill site already. I've asked her; presumably she'll say she did and I'll drop it because what am I gonna do.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:49 pm 
Update: francesca took a selfie at south station. lol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:22 pm 
sammyluo wrote:
After typing all these out, I like the first theory the best, and would be up for trapping fmajluf7 as investigator near day end if we don't get better ideas. (If she's desperado, we lose a trap but get a dead townie in a day; if she's GN, we get a dead townie immediately!) Or, we could wait to see if a GN dies tonight, and trap her tomorrow. But if that happens the GN will probably reveal beforehand.

I hope Francesca told someone else who to suspect if she dies... If they trap-kill her on a multi-kill day, especially if Daniel is still alive and is mayor, I could see this going south pretty fast for the mafia -- Sammy is suspected of trapping Francesca and then lynched and shoveled as mafia, and then Jakob gets investigated for my death due to their mutual alibis.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:41 pm 
Darn, Sammy is right on the money about Francesca being investigator. She should probably have been a bit more careful with the timing re announcing her investigation results. Here's hoping Sammy second-guesses himself.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:32 pm 
There are a lot of set-a-traps to use and not many better uses. Sammy will have to be careful about sharing the information that Lucy/Arkadiy know her role though, because they're gay knights and will be demonstrably innocent.

Also, Dgrazian and Lily being innocent children is great. I'm surprised they revealed to each other though; I would have thought their natural impulse based on previous games would be to not trust each other. Also, I think poisoning Dgrazian was a great idea. It's a very likely play for him if he's mafia, so he doesn't appear any more innocent. Plus, it's also extremely consistent with him being a conscripted innocent child, so I don't think town will trust him even if he reveals.

I also got a selfie from Francesca. She told me to post it in the graveyard, but I'm not sure how to upload images here...
[img]file:///home/katie/Desktop/11846422_10207249372815133_961089315_n.jpg[/img]

As a side note, I'm rooting hard for mafia this game.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:41 pm 
Let's try again. I think I have to upload it to an image hosting site.

The picture from facebook shows a locked icon on my desktop, so it wouldn't upload. I guess I have to take a screenshot.

Ugh, Linux's image viewer doesn't have a crop option. Why can't everything be macs?

I can remove this after the game if Francesca wants.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:43 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:44 pm 
Gah, this forum's image interface sucks.

Just take the link directly. http://i.imgur.com/uq9NxVR.png

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:49 pm 
ksedlar wrote:
Also, Dgrazian and Lily being innocent children is great. I'm surprised they revealed to each other though; I would have thought their natural impulse based on previous games would be to not trust each other.

Yeah, I didn't think it was particularly optimal play when I revealed to him. I just wanted to actually do something with my role, and I figured it wouldn't be a huge deal if I died early as a result, since it'd be a short game and I usually die early anyway. Daniel also had the same reasons for revealing to me. He thinks that innocent child is a really sucky role and maybe even net-negative for the town, and the sheer awesomeness of us being ICs together persuaded him to throw caution to the wind.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:01 pm 
It is pretty awesome when two ICs meet up.

I think a huge danger for mafia is a single one of them getting caught, because it will dump a huge amount of suspicion on the other. My bet is that they'll both make it to the end or neither of them will. I think the biggest threat to them is the Lucy/Arkadiy pair. The longer they leave those two alive, the harder it will be to get lynches pushed through. On the other hand, if either of them is killed, there are two untrickable investigations around to catch them (plus Francesca).

Also, which of MtP, frame, and plant evidence did mafia get?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:16 pm 
ksedlar wrote:
if either of them is killed, there are two untrickable investigations around to catch them

I think Gay knights only have 1 infallible investigation this game, to make them less ridiculously OP.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:04 pm 
If mafia can make a kill today, avoid getting lynched tonight, and then triple kill Dgrazian/Francesca/someone else tomorrow, they'll be in a very strong position. At that point they'll probably want to be seen publicly arguing with one another / expressing suspicion of one another.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:15 pm 
GKs only get one infallible investigation this game, and the mafia got MTP. Item list coming up in just a minute.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:20 pm 
Initial item distro was:
Lucy: Shovel
lgunder: Shovel
asjm: Microphone 1
arkadiyf: Receiver 1
abobu: Microphone 2
lily chen: Receiver 2
jakob: Microphone 3
aneary: Receiver 3
fmajluf7: Medkit
Daniel Grazian: Taser
sammy luo: Taser

Current item distro is:
Lucy: nothing
arkadiyf: Shovel, Receiver 1
fmajluf7: Medkit (activated!)
Daniel Grazian: Taser

I got a PM from fmajluf saying she gave her taser to arkadiyf, but I never got informed when she *got* the taser, so as far as I'm concerned DGrazian and Sammy still have them. I'll let you know when that gets cleared up.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:45 pm 
Update on the item situation: DGrazian gave francesca his taser and forgot to tell me. Items are as follows:
Lucy: nothing
arkadiyf: Shovel, Receiver 1
fmajluf7: Medkit (activated!), Taser
Daniel Grazian: nothing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:25 pm 
Jakob got my receiver when he killed me. I think he said he destroyed it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:24 pm 
Transcribing Daniel's thoughts as he's telling them to me, for the graveyard's amusement:

- Asjm has claimed vigilante, arkadiy claims gay knight with lucy, I trust arkadiy though I believe that lucy could be conscripted. I told arkadiy to be very wary of that esp if lucy is still alive on day 4.
- If I had to make a single guess as to the *pair* of mafia, it would be sammy/jakob. For one, sammy seems sketchy to me, just based on interacting with him. He doesn't seem to be nearly as active as previous games, and overall sketchy vibes. I could totally see that being the case.
- Here's the thing: the mafia made a kill and it was not a hitman kill b/c I've been poisoned. Francesca told me she investigated you (lilychen) twice, and there were 2 clues at the investigation site so they did not MtP. There aren't any other claimed investigators. That means the mafia *are* vulnerable to investigations.
- And they haven't made a kill tonight, so all of this adds up to me that they have framed a townsperson and they are waiting for us to investigate and hit that person.
- Conditioned on that being their strategy, the most sensible people to have done that would be sammy/jakob, because they alibied for each other and could plausibly hope to not be investigated.
- At 10:30 I'm going to make an investigation, probably on one of them.
- I'm not very confident about all of this.
- I think the mafia are deliberately making a no-kill day in order to stall for poison to run its course.
- This is odd is because assuming poison and no hitman and no MtP, that means the mafia *are* vulnerable for this kill. The *only* reason they would do this is if they think they won't get investigated or can frame someone.
- I really hope that Francesca is innocent because I think we're in a good position if she is innocent. If Francesca is mafia, then this is going to be really difficult because she's the only claimed investigator.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:30 pm 
More of Daniel's thoughts:

- Asjm signed my petition immediately before being told I was an IC, makes me a bit more of a fan of him.
- We encountered abobu, who said she wants to give up the game because she doesn't have any time. She's either mafia (probably not) or a useless inactive.
- If Francesca is mafia, she's really good. I got an innocent vibe from her. It's rare that there's a mafia that I have very good vibes from. I'm not betting the game on that though.
- The only theory that makes sense for how the mafia are playing is sammy/jakob. Or Francesca I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:49 pm 
Daniel, upon getting a positive investigation:

- If I'm correct about all this, i will be very proud of myself. This is perhaps the best deduction I've ever made.
- I wonder who they framed, I'm assuming they framed someone for it. Unless Jakob was framed. I did mention to Francesa today that I think it was plausible that sammy or jakob did it. But I believe this is the real thing.
- Maybe they framed me? Lane?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:51 pm 
He's sending a PM to all the non-jammy players that he got a positive investigation on Jakob, and that he strongly suspects sammy and jakob are mafia together.

GG, mafia. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:55 pm 
He sent a decoy PM to sammy and jakob saying "Please send me your roles. Almost everyone else has already done so."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:57 pm 
He's telling arkadiyf to shovel Jakob immediately post-mortem.

Daniel: "Nice try, Jakob and Sammy. I feel bad, because this is the type of thing I would have done. If I'm wrong about this, then Francesca is a genius."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:58 pm 
Jakob claimed vigilante to Daniel.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:01 pm 
Sammy responded almost simultaneously (which Daniel noted), saying he was superhero and had just been too lazy to go to south station.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:03 pm 
Daniel: "I got either lucky or unlucky by guessing jakob over sammy. It was a psychological thing based on who I thought they thought people would think I would investigate... But really I think I just got lucky."