Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on game
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:21 pm 
I disagree about having given the town "only bad advice." Though I also think that it was probably reasonable for you guys to ignore my advice since you really knew what you were doing. I assume you weren't publicly revealing the names of exonerated individuals so that they were less likely to get killed? Or were you just wanting to not acknowledge the existence of a ducktective so as to bait the mafia into claiming ducktective themselves? Regardless, I think it was reasonable play. The reason I would not publicly recommend it is that it has a high risk of sowing dangerous confusion without any benefit and even if executed perfectly only gives a small advantage over a direct strategy.

Also, I was basically satisfied later in the game when there were multiple players (Pesto + Luke) who could validate the story. It was when Luke was killed, that I became more suspicious. At that point I thought it reasonably likely that Pesto was pulling shenanigans. I definitely thought that the benefit of revealing all the secret plotting for analysis outweighed the benefit of making the ducktective slightly more likely to survive one more day and be able to investigate a kill outside et (which probably wouldn't happen anyway.)

Sorry for the rambling. My point is that I think I gave reasonable advice for the town. Certainly from my perspective.

I am satisfied with having been highly suspicious of Jordan before it was popular. But Lisa...

The thing is she DID seem suspicious to me, probably the most suspicious person in the game. But in previous games in which she's been mafia, I've been able to read her like an open book. And since I couldn't do that this game, I thought her less likely mafia than average. So yeah, she's gotten harder to read :-P Nice job Lisa :twisted:

Also, in retrospect, I think I should have been less suspicious of pesto. I think he would not have permitted a day-1 investigatable kill. But of course I was not confident that the ducktective WAS alive at all...

I'm kind of (just kind of) cheering for Lisa here now! It will be impressive if she manages to confound the town for the rest of the game.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:22 pm 
Maybe the fact that jamb died on campus will convince Pesto and Sasha that Dylan is not mafia. Dylan is the only one who doesn't know that the Ducktective is dead. (A great example of how keeping all this a secret is good for town). Let's hope they realize this.

Eep! Such a close game!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:18 pm 
Pesto saw that at least. But I don't think they have any clue about Lisa...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:39 pm 
The four people alive stand in a circle.

On three, they point to the person they think is the sketchiest.
Pesto --> Sasha
Dylan --> Sasha
Lisa --> Dylan
Sasha --> Lisa

It is decided that Sasha, who has the most votes should get executed.

The execution target will be... Lisa (because Sasha pointed at her, so if they are innocent, they should get the other vote).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:10 pm 
Have they not realized that game should just be called after tonight's vote? I won't call it because I don't think any living players have figured it out. And maaaybe Lisa can argue her way out of a provable Town Win.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:47 pm 
They've realized.

Anyway, Pesto just went to E17 to see if he can run to the first floor of building 4 in three minutes (after confirming with 2 NPs and Dylan that the class ended about 2 minutes early).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:53 pm 
lol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:07 pm 
Pesto to Arkadiy: "If Dylan were Mafia and asked you to lie, would you?" Arkadiy: "Yes, probably."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:18 pm 
Wait weird things can happen if anyone votes no execution. Maybe? I don't have time to figure this out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:02 pm 
Nice job to town from what it sounds like!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:04 pm 
Yeah I'll wait for everyone to prove to me why I should call game and then I'll call game. Or maybe I won't because no one will believe it and Lisa can talk her way out of it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:06 pm 
Yeah I think I should just call game.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:09 pm 
I'm checking in with Lisa. This is certainly a Town Win but if she wants to argue with Pesto and Dylan then I'll let her do that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:04 am 
Nice job Sasha for making the final choice that won the game!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:21 am 
Yep, congratulations Sasha for picking right! (Specifically, Lisa'dn't've even been in the running if Sasha hadn't pointed at her.)

We didn't actually execute her second because the first execution target was pointing at her: whether we executed Dylan or Lisa second, one person getting executed didn't also get to execute their top target. I broke the tie, so it was relevant that I thought Lisa was more suspicious than Dylan.

I said at 11-epsilon that I thought 50% Sasha, 30% Lisa, 20% Dylan. There was such tension as Dylan and I waited to see whether either of us would walk in and kill the other....

Dgrazian, I thought you gave reasonable advice, although I disagreed with almost all of it (sometimes for reasons you didn't know).

Dylan, congratulations for surviving despite being nearly executed almost every day.

Sorry to the people we kept out of the loop on the ducktective stuff. Doing so turned out to have been really useful, though, since it probably made the difference for me in not picking Dylan.

Congratulations to the mafia on almost winning despite what I think was a town-favored setup! You needed all the kills to be almost perfect to not provably lose, and you succeeded at that. I thought the mafia's ability to not make kills was to make that possible, so I didn't think Lucy needed to change her mind after just three no-kill days. (Reasonable for the moderator to want the hand to progress, though.) The one-shot power ended up fizzling completely anyway.

Thanks, Lucy, for moderating! This was fun!