Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Confirm a Townie
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:57 pm 
I currently have a potato that will allow someone to pick a person and guess what alignment they have. For example, you'd ask the gods, "Hey, is ltchin mafia-aligned?" and they'd say "No". Note that this power only works to check an alignment guess, not to tell you precisely what their alignment is.

Given the very likely existence of 3rd parties, I think the best use of this potato is to get a god-confirmed innocent. I know that having god-confirmed innocent people has been very useful in the past for setting up chains or whatever and having them dictate the vote.

Are there any other town-beneficial / town-independent third parties that exist? This could be the only way I see this plan failing (ex. ltchin is part of the Russian potato collective, which doesn't hurt town. The question "is ltchin town-aligned" fails and ltchin gets lynched even though she's super helpful for town).

What do people think?

Post subject: Re: Confirm a Townie
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:00 pm 
I know of the existence of a positive number of town-neutral or town-positive third parties, but have reason to believe most of game is town or mafia aligned, so asking for town alignment should be effective.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:02 pm 
In particular, we could ask whoever we're about to check whether they're a third party, and pass over them (but flag them for future scrutiny) if they are.

There are potential downsides to this, perhaps more suited for a private discussion. If you would like to pass your ideas for whom to check through me, I can tell you if I know of their third-party-ness.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:06 pm 
I feel like that is a pretty good strat. Are there town negative 3rd parties?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:09 pm 
My gut feeling is that we should use this on "traditionally" sketchy people like lilychen, Daniel Grazian, etc. The meta recently has been for mafia to use their conscription power fairly early, so I think we're safe from the "this confirmed innocent dude gets conscripted from under us" (although by saying that I've screwed up the meta for future games hahaha)

I also recognize that this puts me as a decently sized mafia target, so I would like this potato to be used preferably before day end. I do have some protection from mafia, but I would prefer not to disclose it currently.

Yeah! Can any town negative 3rd parties reveal to town, please? :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:14 pm 
++ to using this today.

I think it might be a good idea to use this on dgrazian and make sure our mayor is actually working in the best interests of town.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:44 pm 
++ to potatoing DGrazian. Just to check: does the guess and God's answer get done publicly and verifiably?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:48 pm 
Unfortunately, no to both. God guarantees not to lie though.

Also, unfortunately, I have eaten a potato in the past 2 days, so I can not eat this potato. I will announce who ate the potato and what they said after I hear.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:15 pm 
So remember how a few days ago I posted "if three people die tonight, it's dgrazian?" I was using a power to check whether he was mafia. So I can vouch for the fact that he's not mafia (which might not necessarily mean that he's town-aligned, but it increases the chances). I cannot prove this publicly, but I can prove this to specific people, at great risk to myself.

My point being, using it on dgrazian might be a waste. If you use it on someone else, and they turn out to be town-aligned, I will use my power to prove the innocence of myself as well as dgrazian to that person. You trust them, so you will be able to trust us.

Unfortunately it's going to be hard to be online till about 10pm. During that time I'll let dgrazian speak for me since I trust him and he knows about my power.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:21 pm 
Oh man, excellent! This saves us a potato usage as well.

I am also getting a lot of messages from people saying that there are quite a few town-beneficial/neutral roles (ex. jamb was apparently one). Given this, I think the correct course of action is to mafia-check someone. I'm personally interested in lilychen (although a lot of people are testifying that she's not mafia) or people on my private sketchball list.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:06 pm 
I have given the potato to inisley to check if lilychen is mafia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:07 pm 
ltchin wrote:
I have given the potato to inisley to check if lilychen is mafia

Cool. I'm on Pecker.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:17 pm 
I have eaten the potato and found that lilychen is not mafia aligned!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:18 pm 
Oh lol ok. I thought it had to be done in person. Cool! I am in fact not mafia aligned; this is true.