Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:08 pm 
Post useful psychiatrist questions here! Currently I'm disregarding the actual paranoia part of the questions and just thinking of groups to get a count on. Bold means really useful question.

n = 1:
#killers - can tell us if there exist killers other than Troy; getting a result of "too big" proves Troy innocent and shows mafia have at least one killer

n = 2:
# town AND conspiracy theorist; getting a result of "too big" proves Dgrazian, Lotta, Pravina innocent, otherwise we know that of them is mafia
# killers; tells us whether there are two or three killers (we do this after the #killers question for n=1), useful for future questions and bounds on number of mafia
# double agents; tells us whether there are two or more double agents, useful for future questions and bounds on number of mafia
# key person; tells us whether there is a mafia key person other than Jackie/Luke (being sure of key person bounds is relevant for n=3 questions)
# double agent
# mafia AND psychiatrist; mostly useful for helping give bounds on number of mafia

n = 3:
If #killers = 2 or # double agents = 2: # (Key person AND town) OR [insert killer / double agent]; "too big" proves Jackie and Luke are town, otherwise one of them is mafia
If # killers = 3: # (Town AND [insert name of player]) OR killer; "too big" proves the player innocent, otherwise they are mafia (excluding Troy)
# conspiracy theorists; tells us whether there is a mafia conspiracy theorist pretending to be a psychiatrist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:30 pm 
n=1:
#double agent - 'too big' means there's a mafia DA hiding.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:51 pm 
Great questions, Katie! (and aok)

for the n=2 "mafia AND psychiatrist", do you really think there's a significant chance that there are more than 2 mafia psychiatrists? I mean, there are almost certainly more than 2 mafia who *claim* psychiatrist, but they wouldn't show up as psychiatrists for these questions.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:05 pm 
I think n=4 should probably just be for culprit testing. Just take a set of individual players and ask what would happen if they all had 4 more paranoia. This helps narrow down day 3 and 4 culprits, which we really want to find (I think we probably need them both dead to win). The set of players should exclude anyone who is dead, a key person, or a person the CTs are piling paranoia on, so we can get close to binary searching. (Key people seem unlikely to be day 3 / day 4 culprits. If mafia have even one CT, the CT can boo the d1 culprit and d4 culprit day 1, then the d3 culprit and d4 culprit day 2, before we can kill them.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:47 pm 
n=2 "mafia AND psychiatrist" is one of the less useful questions. Might just be worse than searching for culprits, now that I think about it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:42 pm 
Suggested questions for night 1:

Asking a "What happens if [name] started with 1 more paranoia?" question, where name is someone who was booed day 1.
Asking "What happens if killers started with 1 more paranoia?" (too big = vouching Troy is innocent)

Psychiatrists with goodwill should pick randomly between the questions, but pick whichever person they want if they pick the former.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:08 am 
Also, # double agents and # key person are now useless questions, because we got the result from the day 1 lynch vote.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:10 am 
Asking a "What happens if [name] started with 1 less paranoia?" question, where name is someone who was booed day 1, is also a good question.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:15 am 
Also, remember to not reveal the answers to your goodwill questions until we can do it simultaneous-ishly (without letting goodwill askers hear the answer to other goodwill questions first).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:35 am 
Critical error! The question, "If # killers = 3: # (Town AND [insert name of player]) OR killer" only does innocence testing for non-killers. So it wouldn't actually catch a mafia killer, which is pretty important. :(

You can directly test if someone is a killer though, with the question, "If # killers = 3: # ([insert name of player] OR killer".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:38 am 
Possible n=3 or n=4 question, to be asked a bit later: "#town AND psychiatrist"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:34 pm 
we suspect it's no longer necessary to test n=2 "Town AND CT," right?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:05 pm 
I should have registered my opposition to asking about #killers yesterday. I feel like asking about specific players to get culprit info would have been better.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:56 pm 
All the current n=2 questions are shit.

New n=2 question: "[player name] OR double agent" tests whether a psychiatrist is the mafia double agent. Credit to aok.

People should probably ask more paranoia-based questions about specific people though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:28 pm 
Nvm, The question, "If # killers = 3: # (Town AND [insert name of player]) OR killer" is actually fine. Derp.