Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:48 am 
So apparently the plan is now to Boo! as many people as possible so that the D1 incident happens and we get more useful psychiatrist questions. However, in order to Boo! as many people as possible, we have to know who was already Boo!ed, so we don't waste one. Post here once you've Boo!ed someone.

Remember! Reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:09 pm 
Remember to do this in front of other people! I don't think there is any need to boo earlier versus later, so this can probably be done tonight when everyone is at ET.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:11 pm 
Agreed. It's worth risking CT dying if it means more witnesses for them booing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:14 pm 
I just talked to issac and jackie. We now believe that we want the paranoia concentrated on as few people as possible. We need CTs to use all their boos, so this will be exactly 2 people. If there exists a mafia DA, all the mafia K can stay hidden for the entire first loop if they choose, by banging a mafia on day 2 who is DA protected. By concentrating the boos, we reduce the chance that we hit the d3 or d4 culprit (and most of the rest of town) with 3 paranoia and trigger d3 without learning the identity of any mafia. We still get useful P questions about the 2 we booed, and we make much more likely a mafia CT must out themselves to trigger d1 or d3 or d4.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:28 pm 
I'm happy if this loop goes several days, because that means we get more time to ask psychiatrist questions.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:41 pm 
I also think I'm also happy with this loop going longer. IMO, it's better to lose loops via culprits early and lose loops via killers later, because having long loops early lets us do n=3 innocence checking, which has a good chance of letting us identify killers before they can even strike.

That said, if people do decide that we do want to concentrate on avoiding I3/I4, I agree that booing 2 people is still better than booing 1. This is both because 2 booed people allow us better day 1 psychiatrist questions, and because I think there's a good chance of a mafia being a claimed CT, who we don't want to have freedom to secretly boo a mafia C1.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:57 pm 
Note that it is the mafia, not us, who chooses how we lose the loop: culprits or killers. We dont yet know enough to stop either one, so our best bet is to force the mafia to reveal themselves to trigger one of them than trigger our own loss. As it is, concentratingstill gives us enough paranoia to ask useful P questions, and we can spread lots of paranoia on day 2 for P questions then without putting enough to trigger d3.
Also, if you want the loop to go longer, putting paranoia everywhere does not accomplish this.

Another thing about paranoia that people may have forgotten: spewing paranoia everywhere (probably) prevents the mafia DA from protecting another mafia on d2 to hide the mafia K, thus, if we want to out all of the mafia K (or at least get a count on number of mafia K), we should spew paranoia. This pushes mafia to make this loop short though, so if you want a long loop early, not spewing paranoia everywhere is better.

I am now confused as to whether we should spread or concentrate, since the main thing that convinced me to switch to concentrate I just proved false.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:55 pm 
Okay, so I think that actually means that if Incident 1 triggers, mafia MUST end the loop by killing. They could theoretically let their killers die or kill a non-KP, but that seems to have all the loss of ending a loop by killing with none of the benefit (for mafia). On the other hand, Incident 1 not happening makes it really hard for mafia to have I3 happen, unless C3 is mafia or the mafia CT is willing to out themselves (both occurrences would tell us a lot of info about who C3 is).

Furthermore, consider my suggestion of lynching a psychiatrist tonight, and the worry that lynching a town psychiatrist will screw up the D2 lynch vote. If I1 happens, then mafia killers still need to kill people, so we still get killer info even if mafia could win the D2 lynch vote. If I1 doesn't happen, then I2 doesn't happen to a townie (without mafia outing a mafia CT) and we can probably still win D2 (especially if aok is alive for the double voting power).

So I think that mafia have to end this loop via killing pretty much regardless of what we do.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:00 pm 
Actually, nvm, if there is a mafia KP the mafia killers can just bang them today.