Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Day 1 planning
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:57 am 
FYI tsims and I will be at Random Hall tonight to watch The Magic Ians on bonfire, probably still going on at game start.

- ksedlar - on the way to Japanese? no sure if she'll go straight from random or stop for food or something. On the way from 4-249 to 36/38? get an NP to help?
- sammyluo - 18.721 in 2-147 at 2PM - perhaps get him before/after this; jingyizz or other past players might be in the class. Be sure to feed them false info if killing him in sight of them. Be careful because maxmurin has class in 4-159 at the same time and they might walk back to EC together for mutual protection or something.
- achester - kill before/after research meeting? anyone know who will be in that research meeting? If we can have someone in it help scout that'd be optimal
- isaacg - before/after 32G-5 meeting on Friday at 2:30p?
- do we want to kill Amanda before she starts living in EC again and becomes harder to kill?
- ltchin's stuck at random hall desk if we can get an NP scout to distract her and we're getting desperate close to day end.

Post subject: Re: Day 1 planning
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:50 pm 
We cannot kill on day 0, right? We should correct our targets based on who is on saints/sinners list.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:09 am 
Correct, day 1 is the first day we can make kills.

Unfortunately we don't know who is on the lists. But the players who Jakob listed are definitely more likely than average to be designated saints.

I'm fine with anybody dying on the first day. I just want it to be a clean kill.

What are your guys' availability to make kills?

Also, if you have nps who you trust it can be tremendously helpful to get np help in executing the kill (e.g. distracting the person, getting precise location info.)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:13 am 
Nice job getting elected mayor so quickly Nastya!!! :-D

Is that official now?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:24 am 
Daniel Grazian wrote:
Nice job getting elected mayor so quickly Nastya!!! :-D

Is that official now?

Yes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:57 am 
I'm busy from 2PM to 11PM and won't be able to make any kills except maybe around 10:30ish.

I think we should elect whoever makes today's kill don.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:03 pm 
Nastya, how able/eager are you to make kills today? I think you're comparatively less likely to be on people's sinner/saint list.

What roles would you and Jakob like to pretend to be this game? Anything other than innocent child is reasonable I think.

I'm leaning toward 'being' a group investigator. Consider being gay-knights together (definitely don't tell anybody your claimed role; it's better to have the flexibility to change later, and it would be a bit sketchy for gay-knights to identify themselves unnecessarily, anyway.)

If I'm group-investigator, then I can 'conveniently' group investigate somebody who we've framed. Better if real investigators do it without my help, though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:39 pm 
I can make kills today, just tell me whom to target and where to look for them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:49 pm 
being gay knights sounds like a good idea to me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:24 pm 
ksedlar was sitting in 34-3 lobby as of ~20 minutes ago, you could try killing her; sammyluo is in EC - call me if you want me to find you a scout on 3W. Don't get caught trying to make a not-clean kill.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:42 pm 
Gods, can we conditionally elect whoever makes the first kill don?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:53 pm 
Daniel Grazian wrote:
Gods, can we conditionally elect whoever makes the first kill don?

According to the rules, "the Don comes up negative if an investigator tries to investigate them for any kill they have made so far while being Don." This means you cannot make the kill, wait to see the aftermath, and then decide whether or not to make the person Don. However, we will rule that you can instantaneously make yourself Don in the moment before you make the kill attempt. If you wish to do this, you MUST submit the mafia Don Power form before you submit the Report a Kill form on the web-app. (You can submit both forms after making the kill, but you must have decided to use the Don power a heartbeat before you made the kill.)

Note that if the kill target does not die, but you had decided to make yourself Don before using bang on them, you must still make yourself Don despite not having made a kill.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:57 pm 
I think this is what we should do.

Presumably, we intend to elect the first player to make a kill as don. This is just a shortcut to ensure that happens.

It risks blowing up on us, but anytime the don (or anyone really) makes a kill has that risk.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:01 pm 
Gods, could you confirm precisely what the don is protected against:

1. Investigators?
2. Desperado investigations?
3. Group Investigators?
4. Mayor?
5. Police Officer?

6. Priests?
7. Gay Knight 'Investigations'?

I believe the don is protected against the first five but not the last two. Can you confirm/clarify? Is there anything I'm missing?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:08 pm 
I believe we should kill somebody other than ksedlar (or other very-high-profile) players on day 1. My reasons:

1. Such players are MUCH more likely to activate very early if they are desperados
2. Such players are much more likely to be on priest lists, especially saint lists.
3. These are deadly anti-mafia traps that the don is not immune to (and it will be the don who makes our kill today.) In contrast, if you kill a less-high-profile player, you are significantly more likely to be safe (you just still have to be very careful about witnesses/paranoia texts.)

Players like:
- ksedlar
- Lucy
- sammyluo
- fmajluf7

seem the most dangerous to kill to me. Unfortunately, they are among the most dangerous alive as well, but I'd rather the don make a lower-risk kill.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:12 pm 
Daniel Grazian wrote:
Gods, could you confirm precisely what the don is protected against:

1. Investigators?
2. Desperado investigations?
3. Group Investigators?
4. Mayor?
5. Police Officer?

6. Priests?
7. Gay Knight 'Investigations'?

I believe the don is protected against the first five but not the last two. Can you confirm/clarify? Is there anything I'm missing?

Don turns up negative in investigations, so yes, it is protected from the first 5.

Correct, Don kills will still return the normal results for priests and GN questions. Also add 8, Stalkers: a stalker who is stalking the Don WILL be notified that they made the kill, so Don is not protected from the last 3.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:34 pm 
I am not going to be able to safely make a kill today (Lily will be back at our apartment in the relatively near future.) Speaking of which, this would be a reason to kill her sooner rather than later.

Nastya, do you think you will be able to make a reasonable kill today? One possible scenario would be something like the following:
Talk to a randomite np who you know. The randomite np helps scout for you, and you sneak into Random, quickly make a kill, and leave.

That's just one idea that I think is pretty good; there are lots of things you can do.

It would definitely be best if a kill was made today (otherwise, we'll be under greater-than-desirable-pressure to make kills on each of the upcoming days.) But if it's a choice between making a highly risky kill and not making a kill at all, go with no kill.

What are your thoughts on this?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:52 pm 
At this point, timing is, while not critically urgent, something to carefully note. Day end is in a little more than five hours. We should try to communicate with each other relatively quickly when possible (it isn't always possible) especially at this point in the day.

With that said, above all, the goal is to have fun. Winning is great, but having fun is the most important :) And being mafia can be stressful, especially when you're being tasked to make kills. So please don't hesitate to say if you're getting stressed.

With that said said, let's win this thing :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:16 pm 
Day ends in two hours and I can try to make a kill. Whom should I target? Is there someone in Baker? I don't know anyone at Random (not really friends with anyone there), so it might be hard for me to get in.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:24 pm 
I don't believe there are any players in Baker. Pretty much everybody is either at EC, Random, Epsilon Theta, or off-campus.

I have contacts at ET who could help guide you to making a kill there, but you'd have to go a couple miles to Brookline.

You'd definitely be able to navigate EC better than me (you live there, right?)

Also, I know Josh Frisch's boyfriend well; he would be willing to help you kill Josh. They live together a block away from Random. Would you like me to try to put you in contact?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:28 pm 
If you have Mats' help, killing Josh is about as safe as you can get. Definitely not your only option, though. Even killing somebody at EC would be very reasonable (you'll be immune to investigations after all) as long as you're not seen.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:35 pm 
I've sent a message to Mats (Josh's boyfriend) asking if he could help. Assume he's unavailable unless he says otherwise.

Also, I can't type much more w/o seeming suspicious to Lilychen (she's in the same room.)

What's the best email address for you (I'll want to forward you his response when/if it comes.)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:57 pm 
Just use my kerberos nasty@mit.edu Also, I can kill someone today during the party. Just give me a hint whom to kill.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:03 pm 
Use your own judgement on whether or not to make a kill. I'd recommend doing it if you can without getting seen by players or (more likely) tattle-tale nps. Remember that other players WILL go around asking nearby nps what they saw.

If you do make a kill and something goes wrong, we won't blame you :-) So don't feel hesitant on that front.

I won't be able to communicate much in the next hour due to being in same room as Lily.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:06 pm 
You can kill anybody as long as nobody will be able to say you did it. I think the execution of the kill is much more important than the actual target.

Gods, can you clarify how to make oneself don? Nastya, if you make a kill be sure to make yourself don before inputting the kill info into the web app.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:08 pm 
Decent chance you can do it discreetly doing the party.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:08 pm 
Make the kill that is.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:22 pm 
You can go to the Mafia Powers menu in Mafia-app to make yourself don. If you're having trouble, PM gods and we'll make you don and then report the kill for you.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:33 pm 
I've used the mafia-stalker account to have us 'stalk' fmajluf7 tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:35 pm 
I think the party is small enough right now that you'll be a little sketchy. Wait until there are a few more people there but don't let it get too late, probably?