Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: General strategy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:58 am 
nastya, I think it'd be best if you lied low, pretended to be mostly inactive. That's reasonable town behavior for a new player.

@Dgrazian, what do you think of my list of high priority targets (in spreadsheet)? Is killing lilychen a thing that should happen sooner, later, or not at all?

Post subject: Re: General strategy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:48 pm 
I can lie low or I can play fool, ask lots of dumb (nd sometimes useful for mafia) questions and be very naive because I'm new :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:02 pm 
Lying low and pretending to be inactive would be reasonable, but I think it's too late for that, since you've already asked to run for a position.

So at this point, you should definitely stay involved in the game. Just try to act (both in terms of how involved you are in the game and the sorts of things you do publicly) like you would if you were a townie.

How much did you discuss the game with other players beforehand? Are there players who would have particular expectations for your play style?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:08 pm 
You're making the right decision! It looks like you're clearly going to have more fun as an active player in the game :-D

You might even get elected mayor!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:40 pm 
I think the heat that will come onto me if Lily dies is greater than the threat she currently poses I'll let you guys know if that changes :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:00 pm 
Some general strategy advice and planning:

The single most important thing is to not get caught making kills. Most importantly, this means that you must always surprise your target. If they have an opportunity to text etc before you kill them you'll be caught. Likewise, if any other player sees you. Even nps can be dangerous. If townies know that the np was around the kill site, they will ask the np what they saw.

In general, act as you would if you were a townie. In particular, don't be more or less active in the game.

We'll probably want to conscript a trusted townsperson. I'd recommend not using this ability right away.

We need to elect a don soon. Who would like to be don. More generally, how available are each of you for making kills.

We need to consider what roles we want to pretend to be. In particular, do we want two of us to be gay knights together?

Role powers:
- We will probably want to use the anti-investigatorial ones early.
- Set-a-trap is tremendously powerful if we can use it. However, the town WILL try to trick us.
- I'd prefer to wait on conscripting somebody until we have a particularly good target or until we need to use it (e.g. if one or two of us are dead.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:20 pm 
Do we want to have anyone claim stalker?

I'm proxying investigations from miranda through ltchin, so I have a somewhat plausible investigator claim.

I'd also be willing to claim GNs, though perhaps with nastya is better because you're likely to be lynched for not dying early, no?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:32 am 
If you can get any role information from anybody, that would be tremendous! Just be aware that it can look really sketchy if you're trying to get info (nastya, you might have a 'new-player' excuse.)

But yeah, successful set-a-traps are absolutely tremendous for us!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:06 pm 
In general if you have the opportunity to make a good kill, take it! Even if we haven't planned for it. A good kill is one such that:

1. The person is taken by surprise (or you are otherwise very confident that they haven't texted/communicated with anybody.)
2. There are no relevant witnesses.
3. You aren't an obvious investigation choice.

This will apply mainly for chance encounters.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:57 pm 
Nastya, it looks like you might be checking forums but not your PMs; gods have PMed you a couple brief suggestions for learning strategy as a new player. It looks like you're doing great so far. We hope you're having fun!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:58 pm 
ksedlar asked me if I had a provable role. I told her no. I now regret that, but it's too late and I didn't think ahead and wasn't expecting he to tell me she's a dying desperado.