Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Day 1 discussion
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:28 am 
Sorry, my OCD tendencies choked up in horror when I saw a series of threads open and it only being day 1 and all. For purposes of keeping days straight, let's post in these numbered threads ^^;

... hi everyone! I still don't know what half of you look like. Any chance for a table Mafia game sometime?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:15 pm 
Hanging out with Eli and Jacobi on Floor Pi at EC. Hopefully no dead people will happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:00 pm 
Also, if we have no other information, I think lynchig trolls is a good start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:11 pm 
Hmmm, classes came and went for me without murder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:25 pm 
Jacobi entered Destiny kitchen while I was there and asked if I was mafia. I crawled under the table to escape but, overestimating my ability to speed-crawl under tables, crawled so slowly that if he were mafia he could have easily killed me. In short, I don't think Jacobi is mafia.

Process of elimination. *inhale, exhale* Who's next?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:29 pm 
That was amusing by the way. It was just a casual question... I'm not a part of those heinous thugs.

Post subject: Mayor Idea
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:31 pm 
Not sure how good of an idea this is, but I decided to throw it out anyway. What if we elected a mayor early with a partial intent of blackmailing the mafia into not conscripting anyone? The plan works as follows. We all choose someone to elect as mayor but also put together an impeachment petition for them (and make 4 copies of it to be given to 4 players chosen at random to make sure it is not solely in the mafia hands). Then we make the firm statement that if there is ever a day when there is no mafia kill, the mayor will be impeached. Under the common assumption that the mafia will make either a kill or a conscription each day, this basically is saying that if the mafia conscripts someone, the mayor is impeached.

This improves two scenarios. Scenario 1, the mayor is not mafia. The biggest threat in this case is that the mafia will conscript the mayor and make him/her mafia. However, this ensures that if the mayor is conscripted, s/he will immediately be impeached following. Scenario 2, we messed up and the person we elected is mafia. This doesn't help the mafia out too much in the very beginning of the game. However, if they want to keep this power, they would have to refrain from ever conscripting anyone, because the moment they do, they lose their mayor.

Choosing who to elect is still hard, especially when we have little info at the beginning. However, if we wait longer, there will likely be a higher chance of us electing a mafia member (due to the high likelyhood that the first couple/few lynchings are innocents) as well as a higher chance that the mafia would have already conscripted someone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:36 pm 
Scenario 3: The person elected is innocent and the mafia just skip the kill for a day, getting us to lynch an innocent and convincing us that we no longer have to worry about being conscripted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:36 pm 
I don't agree with your plan Chewy. Not all mafia teams are coherent, and they may forget/not manage to kill someone due to derpiness. If that were to happen, and the mayor is innocent (statistically more likely), then we just spent a lot of our townspeople time not helping out team. Plus, the mafia can read this and might choose to conscript someone else assuming that we blindly follow your plan, completely foiling it without harming them much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:38 pm 
My (completely serious) proposal for lynching: Disco243
Reasons: Either this person is mafia or a troll (from the obvious thread), and either way deserves death.
Also, that is not a name, what are you hiding?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:43 pm 
Also, if the Mayor is Mafia, they can just postpone their conscription until they've killed half the town. Having a Mafia as Mayor is much more detrimental to town than not conscripting is for Mafia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:44 pm 
You both bring up good points. First let me clarify for Krue. My plan was not that we lynch the mayor, simply that we impeach. As you state, there is no clear proof that the conscription has happened. However, in Scenario 3, if the mafia does simply let a day go to waste, that benefits us as well as it helps our ratio and chances. I will further clarify that for this reason, I was not proposing that we necessarily suspect the impeached mayor at all. However we realize that at this point it may be best to elect someone else just in case. So in Scenario 3, the mafia loses a kill, which benefits us.

Jacobian brought up the final Scenario, Scenario 4: the mayor is innocent and the mafia conscript someone else. This puts us at no worse of a state as we had an innocent mayor helping us through the beginning up to this point, and as long as we don't get too trigger happy, we are fine. A conscription is going to happen anyway. So this scenario does not harm us, and the other three benefit us somewhat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:45 pm 
I would agree with lynching disco243 for pretty much the same reasons Jacobi mentioned. He's obviously being a troll, which is both annoying and also stupid if he's a townie. Also didn't pay attention to the request to use a name that you're called in real life as your forum name. I will note that he posted his real name in the introductions, but either way it annoys me. Since we currently have nothing of substance to go on, I would be okay with lynching people who are unhelpful and annoying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:46 pm 
benkraft wrote:
Also, if the Mayor is Mafia, they can just postpone their conscription until they've killed half the town. Having a Mafia as Mayor is much more detrimental to town than not conscripting is for Mafia.

This is the only determination that I see as being what may make this a bad plan. If we definitely think early mafia mayor is worse than losing someone we trusted to the mafia side, then my plan is in fact bad and flawed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:49 pm 
Chewy: Ah, I was misinterpreting your plan. Sorry, my brain is not working the best today.

Also, I may be biased against the "pick a mayor early" plan because of the whole JB incident from last IAP, but nonetheless, my opinion is that picking a mayor too early sounds like a bad plan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:49 pm 
Just for clarity sake (and not at all to support him) I would like to point out that disco 243 changed his name to AustinFathman on the forum now. I too would be in support of lynching him if nothing drastic happens today to give us a different suspect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:51 pm 
Krue, to deal with the JB problem, we can decide that we will not elect anyone who has an influential voice, but rather a mayor who promises to follow the crowd. Any time the mayor does not go forward with what we deemed to be the best lynching, we can take a vote for possible impeachment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:58 pm 
It's kind of a paradoxical problem, though, because the mafia are likely to follow the crowd so they don't stand out and get themselves lynched, and thus getting elected would be the perfect cover for a mafia member.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:13 pm 
It's also true that it's not hard for people to influence the consensus of the group; see for example the Fall 2011 game. We had several consensuses that felt like they came from a group and in fact came from one or two members of that group. Surprisingly enough, they involved killing townies when there was an obvious mafia suspect.

That said, a mayor who follows town is probably not a bad idea. Just be careful. In particular, I'd prefer someone with a good intuition for Mafia but who might occasionally use that intuition in their decision to someone without who wouldn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:41 pm 
benkraft wrote:
...I'd prefer someone with a good intuition for Mafia but who might occasionally use that intuition in their decision to someone without who wouldn't.

Sorry, what does this mean?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:43 pm 
Sending Andrew's question. You lost me there.

I'm also apprehensive from the JB issue from last IAP (although I did play on the mafia side lol). There were definitely days when those few critical votes were enough to swing things the wrong way. It's also not a good idea to have a puppet mayor who just does what we want- if I were Mafia, I would use that as the perfect disguise, following along with votes.

Just another reminder- don't blindly give up items. No-brainer, really, but last IAP all of the fake IDs ended up in the mafia's hands by like, day 2. No good. On that note, if you believe you can make better use of fake #3, please lmk and we can arrange something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:37 pm 
Did no one die today?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:39 pm 
I'm sending in a PM to vote for a no lynch. I can come chill in Random and get to know people / discuss items if anyone will let me in :]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:49 pm 
Andrew wrote:
benkraft wrote:
...I'd prefer someone with a good intuition for Mafia but who might occasionally use that intuition in their decision to someone without who wouldn't.

Sorry, what does this mean?

Sometimes a person with a good intuition for who the mafia is is more useful than someone who will simply follow a bandwagon. Problem is, sometimes they aren't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:22 pm 
I am going to vote for Austin Fathman. We don't need trolls in the game. They are either bad townspeople or very-difficult-to-uncover mafia. I am sorry Austin.

Also, announce your vote in advance. Uncoordinated votes are bad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:24 pm 
For anyone reading the forums, my vote is pretty obvious. For anyone now, you really should =P (Fathman btw).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:32 pm 
I will also be voting Austin for tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:42 pm 
I am also voting for Austin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:51 pm 
I will be voting for Austin. I may or may not end up going to sleep before shit hits the fan (assuming the mafia gets themselves in order and actually kill someone today), so unless something happens soon, that is my final vote.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:58 pm 
A lot of people have not announced their votes. You should vote, but you should definitely NOT vote without announcing it ahead of time. The general consensus among those who have been discussing the game is that AustinFathman should be lynched. If you vote otherwise without announcing it ahead of time, it will look very suspicious.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next