Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Read Message Problem
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:07 am 
dylanhen wrote:
They haven't noticed that josh is dead yet :P . Erin noticed he hasn't been replying to chats, but hasn't confirmed. Dead players should avoid marking chats as read, because reading a chat that says "are you alive" and not responding is equivalent to say you're dead.

Is this a problem?

If so, how do we fix it in the future? It seems weird to ask people to not read messages that are being sent to them, especially since they are relevant to them.

Also, people don't seem to remember what phones are, but analogously it seems weird to not let dead players pick up calls from alive players, but if you're dead and someone asks you if you are alive, hanging up or not responding is the same as saying you are dead.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:08 am 
Maybe the cleanest way to resolve this is to just allow people to say they are dead if asked in message form? It seems like this would still keep the window of when the death occurred reasonably large.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:15 am 
I like the current system because it's cleanly stateable: you can do anything you would normally do as a dead person (take calls, be around people, read chats); you just can't say anything unless asked in person.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:31 am 
I don't think elegance would decrease (in fact, it might increase) if we dropped "in person" from that statement; the only advantage the current system has is a slight amount of extra ambiguity from read messages.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:14 pm 
Is it currently illegal to ask every 5 minutes in the chat if each person is alive? if it is, I suspect that would happen if it became legal, which might be annoying.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:15 pm 
==achester, basically.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:42 pm 
Are investigators allowed to check if a person is dead by performing an investigation on their death?

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:59 pm 
They can do an investigation on someone whos alive so it wouldnt tell them anything.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:00 pm 
Oh nvm they need to select someone dead. In that case yes i would say thats allowed.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:05 pm 
I feel like once everyone in game is actively wondering if someone is alive it makes sense for that person's aliveness to just be broadcast despite asleepness.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:05 pm 
By which I meant, in a meta sense. I think the current rules imply this should not be done.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:07 pm 
(Btw, Jakob, there exists another chat titled "\"I'm alive\" spam" which contains much more "I'm alive" spam than the one you're in. I presume you would not like to be added to this.)

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:17 pm 
So josh is awake right now. I dislike announcing deaths in that case because if josh was alive when he went to bed, it would be a great move for mafia to kill him as soon as he wakes up and have everyone think the kill happened hours before it actually did.