Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ] 
 Post subject: Future Rules Changes
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:40 am 
I'd like to suggest some changes to the rules:

1. No overlap with Guild's 10 day.

-Pretty clear why.

2. Any time at which other activities would influence the game to the point where things break, a halt should be called. This means no mafia kill and no lynch.

-Shorter events like mystery hunt aren't that harmful to game if the are properly halted. However, Synch really messed up this game, so see the above rule.

3. After 3 days of no mafia kill, God gets annoyed and randomly smites one person at random. They can be mafia, or any other special role. Ironheart can die to this, as they are only immune to bullets.

-To avoid game getting stagnant. This encourages the mafia to actually make kills.

Any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:19 am 
The non-overlap sounds like a good idea. Would there be enough time otherwise though?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:15 am 
I greatly agree to rule 3. I've kind of taken this one on already..

There was no other way to play mafia this IAP without overlapping with the guild game, Dgrazian, Dalton, Alex and I tried very hard to make the *least* overlap happen, but it didn't turn out very well, sorry! (We started this right after mystery hunt, which was so early in IAP that it would have been super hard to begin before.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:38 pm 
I think the best way to handle Mafia inactivity as follows:

Proposed rule wrote:
If there are three days in a row with no Mafia kills but with lynches on those days, Mafia loses.

(Maybe exceptions need to made for conscript days or kills saved by medkits.)

The lynch requirement stops town from pointlessly stall in hope of the Mafia timer running out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:39 pm 
I'm now convinced that the destruction of Fake IDs was the right strategy for town, and is generally the way to go. Since it's really boring, I propose a rules change that Fake IDs may not be destroyed. Yes, they're likely to get into Mafia hands, but the game can be balanced around that fact.

Search warrants also have the same problem, but even if you were banned from destroying them, you could always use them up. Would nerfing search warrants to not take Medkits make town not just destroy them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:55 pm 
No, but I agree on the indestructible Fake ID's.

the Search Warrants should be destroyable, even if town convinces everyone to get rid of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:59 pm 
I put it too many negatives to parse. Let me re-ask.

Would town still destroy search warrants if they didn't affect medkits?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:07 pm 
I like these ideas so that the ID's can't be destroyed. In the last game it seemed that the ID's, Search Warrants, and medkits were used much more for trust swaying reasons, and that seemed to add to the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:01 am 
I also agree. Fake ID's at least should be indestructable.

My main idea for encouraging the mafia to make kills is the following penalty:

Immediately after the 3rd, 5th, 7th etc. day that the mafia fail to make a kill, god selects a townsperson at random and declares him/her to be innocent. This provides two forms of incentive for the mafia to make kills. First and most directly, they want to avoid this penalty. Second, if the penalty is actually enacted, the mafia have strong motivation to kill the relevant townsperson.

Comments, critiques, or modifications to this idea would be welcome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:07 am 
So the failure mode I'm worrying about has, say, 10 townies and 1 inactive mafia. Getting a random townie declared innocent that way would take a really long time to do anything most of the time. That's why I think Mafia should just lose if they don't kill for too long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:08 am 
I would prefer something stricter.
Along the lines of after the third day (in a row) of no mafia kill, a mafia is randomly killed. On the fourth day of no kills, then two mafia are killed, and so on.
If they mafia do kill someone, then the penalty resets but for two days in a row of no kills equaling a random mafia death. It would scale from there as usual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:10 am 
So I guess the Mafia losing if there are no kills penalty would just lead to Mafia saccing their own. So maybe just having a random Mafia killed might just be better so they don't choose to sac their weakest Mafia. The triangular scaling is excessive though I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:57 am 
I had a terrible idea. Have a Vigilante, but they don't start with the ability to kill anyone. They get one free kill for every day the mafia don't kill anyone (so they almost certainly get at least one, because conscription).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:26 am 
new mafia power charisma, "choose whatever bullshit story you want, all the town are now forced to believe it", one mafia member at the beginning of the game may automatically use charisma, Dalton may use charisma as much as he want regardless of whether he is mafia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:39 am 
I'm curious, what exactly did Dalton do, besides appear completely innocent until late-game?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:40 am 
He was just a baller.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:24 pm 
Vivian: He made the monster lynch its creator with, like, pure charisma. The monster knew how late in the game it was that it was created, and knew that the mafia had almost certainly used the conscription ability before said creation, and the mad scientist bothered to make a kludgite-townsperson anyway.

Anyway, I agree with the first part of Jacobi's rule and the update Alex made, such that after 3 days without a kill, a mafia gets smited. (perhaps "the boss in the shadows offs one of them randomly for being incompetent"?) I don't think it should scale up, or even have a mafia killed this way every day after the third, but perhaps every 3 full days without a kill.

Not sure if Alex's part about townspeople needing to lynch should come into effect, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:19 pm 
Proposed rule wrote:
At the end of each three consecutive days with no kill, if there least three people have been lynched since the last kill (or game start), a random mafia is autolynched. That Mafia's items are redistributed.

Proposed rule change wrote:
The Mad Scientist may also harvest body parts from lynched players, but these only give half a body part. This doesn't require going to a specific location, but is still limited to one harvesting per day, and each body only once.

Items cannot be destroyed, except for petitions.

Proposed rule clarification wrote:
If the Monster dies, items he held are randomly redistributed, regardless of how his Mad Scientist died.

Proposed rule change/clarification wrote:
When a Politician's power triggers, votes for him that day are erased, and don't figure into future tiebreaks.

Change "majority" to "strict majority" in Mayor election and impeachment requirements.

If there are no votes in a day, or no votes after votes for Politician are erased, No-Lynch wins.

Other ideas:
- Give Investigator an option to check specifically if MtP was used on a kill
- Make Search Warrants not take Medkits to discourage town from just destroying it
- Add an item that can be used once to say how many Mafia are currently alive
- Make Microphones more powerful by having them last until the next kill (rather than 24 hours) or just tell the Receiver holder who made the kill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:35 pm 
fluffy wrote:
Not sure if Alex's part about townspeople needing to lynch should come into effect, though.
I know the lynching part feels arbitrary, so let me explain why I think it's needed.

Imagine an endgame with one Mafia left and where players are scattered throughout campus and have no idea who the Mafia is. The town's best strategy might be to hide and vote no-lynch and run out the Mafia's kill timer. This is a really boring cheap win and would be would go completely against the purpose of the rule, to avoid stagnation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:54 pm 
I would prefer a penalty based on cumulative, rather than consecutive, "no-kill" days. I really do not want to see a sequence like [no-kill, no-kill, kill, no-kill, kill, no-kill, no-kill, kill, no-kill...]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:26 pm 
So I agree that it would be annoying if Mafia simply skirted the restriction by having rare but periodic kills.

Here's the tricky thing: Imagine if Mafia are active for a while, but then lose their only active players, and the remaining players are inactive and make no kills. If there were, say, a kill quota for fraction of days, it would take a while for it to drop below the threshold.

Maybe make Mafia lose a member both when they have too few consecutive non-kills and when they have too low of a kill rate?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]