It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Welcome, Mages!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:27 pm 
Welcome, Mages! You are:

lukesci
lzahray
mayars

You’re expert craftsmen inspired by the innovative spirit of alchemists throughout the ages, whose potions spurred on the forward march of progress. You creatively weave magic into the fabric of the world to bestow useful items upon your friends. Your art is an inherently selfless one, so you can never grant these items to yourself or to other mages - instead you wish to enlighten the rest of your fellow citizens. Unfortunately, you’re competing in the public eye with those boring, traditional, ritual-following warlocks whose magic is far inferior to yours.

Each of you has a power, usable twice per day, to grant items to a player by guessing that player’s role (via a “set a trap” mechanism). You’ll be told whether you were successful in your trap or not, and the player will receive their item immediately when you guess (modulo Mods’ response time). As a faction you may only successfully trap each player once as each role. You won't be told when your teammates trap, you'll just silently fail if you repeat a (player, role) pair that has already been successfully trapped. So communicate with each other!

Whenever items that you created are used, it releases mana into the world. Whenever warlocks’ items are used, it releases blood into the world.

Mage Goal: more mana than blood exists in the world by the end of game. This is a secondary goal, so any town / mafia / third party goals you might have come first. The amount of mana and blood in the world will be posted publicly each night.

Mana Fountains: when any mage departs from the world of the living, their escaping soul releases a mana fountain into the aether. This fountain releases 1 mana into the world each day, including the day when it begins existing.

Mana Power-ups: when the Mana-minus-Blood delta is positive, mages gain powerful bonuses, but when it is negative, they suffer. These bonuses/drawbacks apply only while the delta (at the start of day) is at least as big in absolute value as specified:

+8 Each mage can use their classical role abilities twice each day (if they have a classical role for which that makes sense).
+6 Any time someone attempts to trap a mage, the trap fails.
+4 Each mage's vote quietly counts for 2, but is only recorded as counting for 1.
+2 Mages no longer need to visit kill sites to use abilities that would otherwise require them to do so.
+1 Each day, the mage forum will receive an inspirational image or text.
0 Nothing happens.
-1 Each day, each mage must do a push-up for every point they are losing by.
-2 If a mage needs to visit a kill site to use an ability, they must stay there for at least one minute.
-4 Each mage's vote quietly counts for 0, but is recorded as counting for 1.
-6 Any time a mage attempts to trap someone with their mage item-giving ability, the trap fails and no item is given, but the attempt generates +1 mana.
-8 Mages may not use their classical role powers, and any previously activated role powers lose their beneficial effects.

Warlocks have symmetric Blood Power-ups, Blood Fountains, and Warlock Goal.

Post subject: Re: Welcome, Mages!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:53 pm 
Rules Change: The limit on only successfully trapping a (player, role) combination once is now faction-wide as opposed to per-player.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:21 pm 
If you make a trap attempt, put it on this spreadsheet, and whether it succeeds:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:23 pm 
Also, mana fountains are really powerful, I think. Like, a dead mage is better than a live mage at generating mana. (If only they were as good at other things...)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:26 pm 
I'm a bit confused - is the (player, role) guess the player's classical role or special role? If it's their classical role, I don't understand the once-per-faction rule. If it's their special role, does that mean we can trap a mage? If this is allowed Day 1 I can claim trapping luke.

Should we all just try to get killed? If we can only guess successfully once-per-faction, dying Day 1 seems pretty strong. I guess if people have super useful roles for town (or I guess mafia) then maybe you wouldn't want to do that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:27 pm 
Oh derp, reread the rules - I believe the correct interpretation is we trap a player's classical role, but that we can only successfully guess a (player, role) combination once between all of the mages.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:30 pm 
Yep, that last interpretation is correct!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:36 pm 
Also note that you can't just trap Luke: see "Your art is an inherently selfless one, so you can never grant these items to yourself or to other mages".

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:51 pm 
I messed up. From now on, I'll just say things like "I'm trying trapping X person" and "I succesfully trapped person X", without saying trapping as what. Otherwise, if one of you's mafia, it's too much info. You two should do the same, probably.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:57 pm 
Sure, I made a second sheet. We can each claim a person we're currently working on so we don't overlap guessing the same person (unless one of us is pretty sure about the role of someone another mage has claimed).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:45 pm 
You weren't creative enough today, so each of you owes Gods three push-ups today. Also, you have to hang out at kill sites longer today.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:26 pm 
You're at a delta of 0. Keep it up and get back in the positives! :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:15 pm 
Is that an inspirational message?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:38 pm 
Definitively not. It was, however, a nonnegative message.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:23 am 
Uh-oh, you're behind again. 3 more push-ups and another day of hanging out longer at kill sites!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:33 pm 
You're down by 5. More push-ups! Also, your votes will quietly be worthless today.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:41 pm 
Only down by 2; fewer push-ups for you! And your votes count again! Keep it up.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:28 pm 
3 push-ups today.

Aren't you in such great shape because of your wonderful mage abilities?