Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Basic Strategy
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:12 am 
Some starting advice, which I can freely give, since I'm not mafia this time!:

1. Investigators, use your role every day (I'm not too worried about this, given their performance in the last game...) Investigators should generally act via a proxy. If you can somehow coordinate with the other investigator(s), that makes the role much more powerful. This can be done, for example, by having your proxy announce that person A is being investigated and that the other investigator should investigate person B.

2. Discuss on the forum and in person throughout the day. DO NOT wait until the last 15-30 minutes to decide who to lynch. This was the only reason I was able to survive the second day last game.

3. Read the "Basic Strategy" posts that Alex and I have posted in previous games. Some of the ideas there may be less applicable to this much shorter game, but it should give you a feel for good basic strategy.

4. I personally don't believe that electing a mayor is a good idea in this game. Of course, I'd be happy to be mayor, but unless someone is pretty solidly cleared (aka anchen in the last game), I don't think it's objectively a good idea.

5. Talk to people. A lot. Mafia do in fact tend to slip up.

6. Get the microphone and receiver to a single person ASAP on day 1. Activate them in one of the first three days (because the game shouldn't last longer than 4)

7. Pass the items around a bit (especially early in the game.) I think it is ideal that if X has item A, then exactly two players Y, Z != X should know that X has A. Y and Z should know who each other are. What we want to avoid is the mafia killing X such that the town's collective knowledge of the item location is destroyed.

8. Speaking of which, if you have an item, the mafia are already thinking strongly about killing you (using the "kaboom" power in the case of the medkit.) Pass off the item quickly to avoid it falling permanently into mafia hands. Again, make sure someone else knows who you're passing it to (so the receiver can't safely say, "Thanks, Bang!")

9. Comment on my suggestions and add your own. Conversation, on-forum and off, is good for us. I'll likely think of more things, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:16 am 
Correction to #8: if mafia uses kaboom on medkit, med kit its destroyed. Not to say its a bad idea to give the medkit away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:34 pm 
If they immediately kill you after you give them the medkit, they have just squandered whatever trust you had in them. That trust is much better kept around. Telling others that you are passing it also is good, but opens up the exchange to an effecient mafia 'kaboom'

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]