Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: David's Confession
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:26 pm 
David wrote what follows. He was going to post it on the forums on Sunday night before he died.

-------------------------------------

Confession of the grave diggers, in hopes that they are not sent to their graves.

So Adam and I have been lying a bit. Perhaps more than a bit. And I still think it was a good idea. But since it looks like we are about to die if we do nothing it's time to reveal everything.

As the title of this message implies, we are both grave diggers. Adam announced his own intent to grave dig (as a proxy for himself) and I was Erin's grave digger. I missed Adam's message that he was going to grave dig (I was at a Techiya rehearsal, so I submitted my own intent ahead of time and told Erin about it; I have no idea if she told anyone else). If I had seen his message I probably would have done it anyway, since I would have been suspicious that he was a mafia trying to avoid the grave being dug (or an unknowing proxy for such a mafia). God released the votes, but for some reason the grave digger results were delayed (they didn't come for another couple of hours). If either of us had been pretending to wait for grave digger results, we would have released our false results. Since we were both actually grave digging, we were merely confused about why god was taking so long. Eventually results came and we both got the same result, along with strong evidence that we were both grave diggers. (Note: if we had done this intentionally it would be a violation of the rules, but since we didn't intentionally exploit the mechanics of grave digging to gain this information it was legal and didn't result in god smiting us). Since then we have known that we could trust each other (with fairly high confidence) and discussed the game extensively. These discussions gave us no reason to be suspicious of one another, which is further evidence that we were telling each other the truth.

We did not tell other people the truth, however. We were both suspicious of Daniel, so we told him that I was innocent child and had "trusted" Adam. I also told him that I had discussed mafia a lot with Adam and had an additional reason I wouldn't reveal for trusting him. This was a strictly beneficial lie because we wanted to convey our mutual trust and it would only hurt the mafia if they tried to use slaughter the weak on me. We did not have a convenient lie for his role (perhaps we could have claimed that we were both innocent child? but it get's pretty suspicious at that point and we had already conveyed sufficient reason for our mutual trust). To date, he has told Daniel, Shike, and Sheena that he is super hero. He has also told Sheena that he was grave digger and that he was politician, so we have no idea what she actually thinks (we're not even sure if she knows the grave digger part; she was just around while we were discussing something and might have overheard).

Daniel revealed that Adam is politician, since if he really were super hero it would leave a trap (Adam-the-iron-heart) for the mafia after the town failed to lynch Adam-the-politician. Adam will not survive, since he is actually a grave digger. We know of no other active grave diggers, so after Adam dies we expect that the town will conclude that he is mafia and lynch me as well.

Other unrelated knowledge: before she died, Miranda told Adam that she was the prophet. Since no other prophets have revealed themselves, this is probably true and any other prophets in the game are inactive. We were reluctant to share this information at first because we were suspicious that Daniel was conscripted, but even if that is the case he already seems to have realized that there are no prophets left.

Be aware that you are not the only recipients of this message. For the benefit of the town, we will not reveal who else has received it. We are both sending you this message to confirm that we both agree on its contents.