Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:05 am 
I totally called that Lily Chen was mafia! Twice over, in fact. She was the investigator who revealed to Miranda, and look at the conversation Miranda and I had on day 1:

Me:
"I would like to request that you PLEASE don't give the medkit to someone who asks for it claiming to be investigator/that they know an investigator or something. Mafia (or more specifically and terribly, rogues) have gotten their hands on medkits the past two games in this way. Medkit, as nice as it is for keeping a townie alive, is really valuable due to its ability to catch a mafia. To maximize this, I say you should give it to an innocent child.

To accomplish this, I would recommend posting something similar to the above on forum, and then asking ONE innocent child to reveal to you. As soon as they do, you post that you have located an innocent child so we don't have more role leaking than there needs to be. Then, you should give the medkit to that innocent child ASAP."

Miranda:
"Thanks for the tip! Also, a certain person asked for the medkit, and claimed investigator when I said I'd rather give it to an innocent child. So you may have already been right."

Me:
"Keep suspicions of that person in the back of your mind then. I haven't actually seen real investigators be so forward in getting the medkit so far, although it's possible that one is this time. Probably be even more suspicious if that "investigator" isn't using you as their proxy (because why would an investigator be spilling their role like that?) or if the "investigator" is a newbie (because then how are they so on the ball about going after items?)

We of course don't want to risk lynching an investigator, but they should be higher on the prophet smite list."

So, I called that Miranda's investigator was sketchy. I was also super sketched out by both Miranda and Lily Chen, since they were both running for mayor. As of Day 2, when Isaac was smited, I knew that we were both innocent. So, I thought it was VERY unlikely that mafia didn't have anyone running for the elected roles, so I put it at very high likelihood that one of Miranda and Lily was mafia. Then Miranda dies, and suddenly I'm super suspicious of Lily. However, this isn't a suspicion I can use as fodder for a lynch mob though, because it's based off me knowing that I'm innocent and that Isaac was innocent, which was not something that could be objectively known.

I was so suspicious of Lily, in fact, that I sent this message to Isaac at one point:

"Lily wants to talk to me in private. I may be irrationally paranoid of her being mafia, but I may get conscripted. I guess you would have no way of knowing afterwards though. So I guess this is mainly to say "I called it!" if I do get conscripted."

Ironically, he would have had a way of knowing afterwards whether or not I was conscripted. :(

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:20 am 
I did not call Isaac. I, of course, had the standard paranoia of "What if Isaac is conscripted?" But, people always say to not be too paranoid about conscription. I also was careful about who the information about Isaac being innocent got out to.

The people who knew Isaac was innocent/"innocent", in order:
Me and Josh: At the smite
Lizrita: Josh got in contact with her before he died. Unfortunately, she was the only innocent child.
Miranda: Right as I was leaving the Day 2 meeting, I ran into Miranda on her bike. She asked if I was going to reveal the innocent to random townies, and I said I wanted innocents. She said that I should tell her who it was anyway though, because no innocent child had contacted her to get the medkit. I was sketched out by Miranda/Lily for being the other mayoral candidates, but I decided that it was worth it if Miranda was innocent. So, I told her Isaac's identity. She got the medkit to him before she died though. I figured mafia had wasted a kaboom on her, but I let other people believe that she still had the medkit to see if I could catch anyone else who thought it was wasted.
Lzahray/Kemus: Isaac wanted a few other townies to know, and he said he liked Lzahray and Kemus. I trusted his judgment, and revealed him to them.
aok: aok was really concerned about how town was doing as of the end of Day 3. He also declared himself more innocent than average, since he had excellent alibis from different people every day. After confirming with Isaac that it was okay, I revealed Isaac's identity to aok. Ironically, aok had thought that Isaac was super sketchy, which I had been laughing about as a living player, since I "knew" that to be wrong. But aok was the right one.

I counted the mafia shortly after this, so I was fairly non-worried about conscription from direct reveals. I was, correctly as it turns out, worried that Josh's smite in Pecker kitchen was too obvious, in terms of who was smited, because only a few people hang out tons in Pecker kitchen. I was also worried about Isaac being conscripted in general for being a good player and for being police officer. I played under the assumption he wasn't conscripted though, which I still think was objectively the right call.

My paranoia of him being conscripted fluctuated a lot, but ironically, it decreased a ton shortly before my death. My original plan for the "4 mafia" count was to be impeached, have my count confirmed, and then have someone else be smited. Isaac was the one who came up with the plan of just having me be smited, which was objectively a much better plan. At least it would have been if he wasn't a conscript who knew my role. :(

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:24 am 
I do have to give Lily props though for excellent NP prompting. Look at this beautiful email her lab partner sent me:

Me: "Hi! I'm playing a game with Lily Chen, and I'm wondering around what time you and Lily were working on your lab report today. Thanks!"

Diptarka: "Hello,

Normally I would not reply to such emails that seem stalkerish. However, I checked Facebook and you do appear to be on her friend list. Therefore I am taking you at face value about this, hoping that there is no nefarious intent involved.

We began working at around 1400 and concluded slightly after 1535 (give or take 5 mins either way), around the disreputable, unhealthy place in W20, close to Dunkin Donuts-if perchance you happened to need the spatial coordinates as well. It seemed fitting for the idiotic lab that our moronic department insists we take.

I am not going to tell her about this email (working under the assumption that this is an innocent game) but I will keep a record of this conversation.

Goodnight and best of luck with whatever game this is. "

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:48 am 
I feel both good and bad about game. As of shortly before I died, I was rather confused about how town hadn't caught any mafia yet. From my perspective, I was doing everything right. I know I'm innocent, I'm pretty sure Isaac is innocent, and we were the ones running most of game. I made every NP check myself. I proposed every lynch myself. I poked people for alibis, assigned a good chunk of the alibis, and correctly suspected that one of the original investigators was bad, meaning that I was making 2/3 of the good investigations. I also knew an "innocent", did a decent job of preventing leaks about who they were, and was feeding all my plans checking all my plans with them. I even got them a medkit and a taser. I did an excellent job of making sure that I was around players as often as possible, and I would make sure that other players knew what players I was around, so I was pretty difficult to kill. I had no classes without other Live Action Mafia players.

I also think that my "circle of innocent children" plan was super strong. However, it basically depended on there being more than one innocent child. And Isaac not getting conscripted. :( But my "smite me and then send all information through me, the 100% innocent townie" plan was pretty excellent. Although that was definitely partially Isaac's plan... I am very proud of the fact that I counted the mafia when I did, partially over Isaac's protests, and I got that information to town when I did. Implementing my plan would be one of the few ways town could still win. That is, if mafia didn't already know the role of the person who is going to be smited...

So, I think I did a lot of stuff right. But I didn't properly think of the time it would take to get back to Random from ET, and accidentally gave Lily an alibi. Also, what the heck, me:

I interrogate Clam NPs about Victor's death. Sherri claims to have been there at 3:10. I ask if she saw who was around/who killed Victor. She claims the guy with glasses, curly hair, and who plays Magic did it (this describes Isaac). I think she either is trolling or saw Isaac around near the time of death (he was "in BMF," after all) and was mistaken. Then I go tell Isaac about what she said, and he confirms he was looking for his charger earlier. I proceed to NOT THINK ABOUT IT MUCH MORE, instead of investigating with one of my TWO daily investigations. I also basically got a third investigation yesterday, because I "investigated" Isaac for Lucy's death. Basically, I assigned the investigation to myself, investigator C, because I knew with 100% certainty Isaac didn't do it (he was smited afterwards), and then reported that while doing an extra investigation (on Adam for Miranda's death, which ended up being a wasted investigation anyway.)

So there were definitely things I could have done better.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:05 am 
What really screwed me over though was the freaking saferide. So, Isaac and I ran out to the saferide stop after the ET murders were posted to check if anyone comes back on it. As of that point, I'm seriously considering going to ET to investigate, but there's a Random Hall meeting i want to attend. As it gets later, there's debate over whether or not Adam did the kill, so I decide that I really want to check for myself. As of that point, I have one investigation left (the secret one, since I didn't really investigate Isaac for Lucy's death.) I sneak out of the Random Hall meeting (making sure that Lily Chen doesn't see me leave) to catch the last saferide to ET before 11. I plan to investigate the kill as soon as I get there (I have Lucy to let me in), and then have Isaac post that "a superhero" did the investigation. More relevantly, I switch my vote, and I have a 6-vote swing. But...

THE SAFERIDE SKIPPED THE 84 MASS AVE STOP. There were a dozen of us or so waiting there, and the saferide proceeds to skip us altogether. I wait for a few minutes to see if it turns around, but nope, I check on my phone, and it's on its way to Simmons. I consider catching the next one, but I figure it's not worth it to do it after 11:00. So, I just go back to Random.

If the saferide would have gotten there, then I get to ET right before 11, investigate Adam, switch my vote, and have Isaac post. It doesn't matter whether or not anyone else switches their vote; Austin gets lynched instead. He is also innocent, but then Adam would be alive enough to remember seeing Lily biking back on his way back from ET, and maybe point a finger at her. More relevantly, I would be stuck at ET for a while, hanging out with Lucy.

This would mean I never talk with aok and reveal that Isaac was the "innocent." This means Isaac probably doesn't give him medkit, and mafia probably don't kaboom aok (who was an ironheart superhero). I also may very well end up staying past the time when I would have otherwise been killed. Mafia's plan was apparently to kill me and Lisa outside of 5.111 (which was cancelled for today :)), so that wouldn't have worked. Although, I would have told Isaac my exact location for all day long, and mafia just ends up killing me and Lisa in 6.01 or me and aok in 8.02. So I probably would have died anyway, but it would have been a bit better.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:52 am 
The moral of the story is, if the bus skips your stop, YOU CHASE THE BUS, GET IT FRONT OF IT, AND GIVE THE DRIVER HELL UNTIL HE LETS YOU ON. What's he gonna do, run you down?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:37 pm 
It was on the other side of the streeet. And we initially thought it was going to turn around...

I do plan to write a fanfiction on "What Katie should have done if she wasn't a derp." soon though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:29 pm 
I suspected Isaac, I suspected Lily Chen, svolz would have been my next lynch. All I missed was Kemus. And I missed him so badly. He knows everything I knew. I knew everything. Town is dead. So, so dead.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:40 am 
For my part, I'm mad that town doesn't suspect Kemus after what he said about how Ellena died. Imagine if he'd been town: his girlfriend is a valuable townie and almost certainly marked for death. Someone he doesn't know knocks on the door when she's in the room, and he lets them in rather than step out to talk to them? Bad play as a townie and a boyfriend. My boyfriend necer plays, but he still knows that you don't let people into a room where an ally is hiding.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:55 am 
Hmm, that is a note. However, it's subtle. He made a good show of running around trying to find the NP, ect. And the problem is the blind trust Santi and Andres have for him. No one took particular note of him just letting the person in. The only person who would have noticed would be Santiago, but he had so much hope riding on my shoulders that he sort of gave up on game once I died. I look forward to seeing his face when he realizes his best friend managed to lie to him for the entire game.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:31 pm 
This is completely unrelated to my suspicions. But this is the closest thing to a rant thread I have.

Anyway, last game, I was a mafia. I pretended to be investigator, revealed to Lisa, and asked her to double proxy for me. I was also running for mayor, and eventually became mayor.

This game, I was an investigator, revealed to Lisa, and asked her to double proxy for me. I was also running for mayor, and eventually became mayor. Lisa's response was, "Katie, why would you do this to me?!"

I also got to be "Investigator C," just like the first game!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:45 pm 
ksedlar wrote:
I do have to give Lily props though for excellent NP prompting. Look at this beautiful email her lab partner sent me:

Me: "Hi! I'm playing a game with Lily Chen, and I'm wondering around what time you and Lily were working on your lab report today. Thanks!"

Diptarka: "Hello,

Normally I would not reply to such emails that seem stalkerish. However, I checked Facebook and you do appear to be on her friend list. Therefore I am taking you at face value about this, hoping that there is no nefarious intent involved.

We began working at around 1400 and concluded slightly after 1535 (give or take 5 mins either way), around the disreputable, unhealthy place in W20, close to Dunkin Donuts-if perchance you happened to need the spatial coordinates as well. It seemed fitting for the idiotic lab that our moronic department insists we take.

I am not going to tell her about this email (working under the assumption that this is an innocent game) but I will keep a record of this conversation.

Goodnight and best of luck with whatever game this is. "

Hehehe, that wasn't even me... that's just Dip being Dip. All I told him was that if anyone asks, we were in W20 together from X time to Y time working on our lab report.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:47 pm 
This is how you know you've chosen good friends.