Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The party theme
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:32 pm 
(Flavor only)

We're in this because we "want the best theme for the party ever, but [we] know that no one else is competent enough to do it correctly". We should, therefore, have an actual theme. I nominate wordplay/bad puns, since we seem to have done some of it already in the confusion-sowing thread.

Post subject: Re: The party theme
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:38 pm 
Now that we have just about rid the town of its CRAPPY elements, we should decide on the theme for the party. I'll be coming back from the grave for this!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:49 pm 
Same here!

Additionally, the corruption of the mafia has extended past just the roles of mayor and police officer, all the way to the position of soc-com chair! So, the party will be fully funded!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:11 pm 
So guys, do we actually want our theme to be bad puns/wordplay? That might be hard to get decorations for. But we could do visual-pun type objects.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:31 am 
There have also been suggestions of Game of Thrones theme and Frozen theme. I would also suggest Death Note theme, even though that was technically a different Live Action Mafia game. Because Death Note is awesome.

If people have any other suggestions, they should suggest them today. Otherwise, discuss what theme you like best. Here are some of my ideas/comments for the current themes:

Wordplay/bad puns: -can print out pictures such as these: http://www.sparkypower.com/VisualPuns/ to decorate with
- we could prepare some bad pun-type jokes in advance (DGrazian is apparently really good at coming up with these)
- we can probably incorporate it into the food (e.g. pi pie, especially in wake of pi day)

Game of Thrones: - very fitting with the manipulative, backstabby game this is
- we could probably fit characters to many of the people in game
- don't currently have decoration ideas

Frozen: - discussed in Graveyard about how it fits the endgame
- don't currently have decoration ideas

Death Note: - Live Action Mafia is basically Death Note: The Game with all the parallels that go on
- we could have a "guestbook" where people sign in as they enter the party (secretly a Death Note)
- I have a Death Note pillow I would lend to the party
- Easy to food theme (apples, potato chips, chocolate, cake, etc)

I personally like the Bad Puns and Death Note themes best, mainly because I have some ideas for them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:31 pm 
I have a fairly strong preference for not death note. This was not the death note game. There was no Light and there was no L. I would prefer not using this on a theme where it doesn't fit. I would vote for Game of thrones. I think aok and victor need to have a red wedding :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:18 pm 
It'd be really fitting for the theme to be basically wordplay/bad puns, since we suggested halfway through the game, before knowing it'd matter. Some ideas for implementing it in party form:
-(S)wordplay
-Pads and buns.
-Ghostly rocks (a reference to lzahray's rock-solid alibi)
-The town square is so... square. The mafia den is so much better. (If the party's on half-tau day, this'd work even better: make the mafia's flag circular and the town's square.)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:23 pm 
me: poke
Opinions on the party theme?
Adam: no opinion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:02 pm 
As a fan of game of thrones I'm sorely tempted by that option. But I'd be all for a bad puns theme if you guys have ideas for it!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:19 pm 
I'd rather not do Game of Thrones, since I haven't read it, so it'd presumably be less interesting for me and spoilerful for if I ever read it. But I'm happy to do it if you collectively prefer it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:15 pm 
It seems like bad-puns themed is the thing that people most agree on.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:42 pm 
I talked to jfrisch in class, and he was fine with wordplay/bad puns. Sounds like that's the theme.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:31 pm 
What food ideas do we have?

We could do:

Pi pie (Also, we could promise cake, but the cake would be a pie. Although we don't want to steal ideas from Vanqeri Technologies.)
Pairs of pears
Whirled peas (not actually, because it wouldn't taste good)
Some sort of cobbler with buried berries
Forbidden donuts (labeled "Donut eat!")
A half-baked attempt at ice cream ( half-baked flavor ice cream)

What do you guys think? Are these puns too awful? What ideas do other people have?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:11 pm 
More ideas:
Chalk-shaped chocolate
Trix, to commemorate all the mafia's tricks
Wontons, to celebrate the mafia's wanton destruction
Multiple soups, to poke fun at the town's "oops"s.
Squash and Crush (the drink), since we squashed and crushed the town.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:31 pm 
Please feel free to ask Gods to do things for you.

How are you guys on food? In the absence of anything extremely punny, we could order some PIzza and that would likely feed lots of people, but if you guys have better, punnier food that would be even better.

Keep in mind that budget is $100.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:44 am 
It sounds like I misunderstood who was organizing things: the end-of-game thread said "Winners of this game (the mafia) will select the theme, and Gods will do our best to make this theme happen."

I'll come over to Random this afternoon for last-minute prep; will anyone else be around?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:31 pm 
No, you were correct, but Gods assumed that Mafia wanted a larger-than-expected part in planning things.

Regardless, we will do things today and will appreciate your help if you offer any.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:05 pm 
I'll be at Roadkill Buffet starting at 8. But I can help before that.