Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Conscription Plans
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:49 pm 
Although it is useful to have conscription later in game, I think in this small of a game, it would also be pretty useful to have another mafia to help make kills. Additionally, we don't want to conscript too late, because if a conscripted mafia is the only mafia left, town still wins. So, even if we aren't planning on conscripting someone RIGHT away, I think we should actually do so relatively soon.

My proposed conscript target: Lucy
For the following reasons:
1. Lucy is a strategic player who knows the rules well and is good at plotting. I spent a lot of time last game talking to her as a ghost, both when she was playing and when she wasn't, and it is pretty apparent that she is an excellent player who will be very active in game.

2. #1 is not widely known. Lucy is still a relatively new player, and she has, by no poor play on her part, died early in both of the last two games. So, this means she is unlikely to get lynched from it being sketchy that she's still alive.

3. She has experience being mafia. She was mafia in the Fall 2013 game, and so being mafia is actually not an unfamiliar feeling for her.

4. And the biggest factor, at least for me, is that since partway through last game, Lucy has been my go-to person for blabbing to about all my plots and schemes for future games. This is on the order of hours and hours of mafia fangirling, and it would be really inconvenient if I'd forgotten that I'd mentioned a plan to her and I got exposed as mafia because of it. However, for reasons 1-3 and person player preference, I would prefer her conscripted rather than dead. :)

Post subject: Re: Conscription Plans
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:33 pm 
I would rather lucy dead then conscripted. I don't think she helps with any of our core geographic vulnerabilities. I don't imagine she is as strong a player as we could get though she does have the advantage of slipping under the radar. I would propose waiting a few days and eventually conscripting, say, davidkaufman. In any case, strong request not to conscript her yet.

Josh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:29 am 
David Kaufman seems like more of a high-profile player (and thus a more likely lynch target), and although he does frequent EC and Pika, I don't think we would want him doing kills in EC or Pika anyway, as he'd be a more likely suspect. I think we mainly want to kill non-Randomites during class anyway, so I don't think covering more geography is what we want to focus on. I'll certainly hold off on conscripting until mafia reach an agreement, but I'm just registering my belief that Lucy is a very good choice.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:11 am 
Making kills is harder then you would expect. Making kills during classes is really freaking hard. Obviously we should try for it but you know, making kills is much harder than you think. Anyways, the thing is having a contact at EC is nice, it gives us access to useful hitmen and even if one of us, say, rather than david makes the kill, it's useful. I also think you overestimate high profile== likely to kill, in daniel's case that's true. In other cases, less so, not even clearly likely to investigate. Controlling high profile players is important for shaping the discussion to town whims, daniel will soon be dead. Lucy will probably not take over town dialogue. Also, the half of the time Lucy is at ET is completely and utterly wasted given that the only player there is Pesto. My impression is the reason you want Lucy is primarily about her being the person you've schemed with. The correct solution to that problem is to kill her. She seems an excellent assassination target.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:14 am 
I think we should wait at least two or three days hoping to get role information that'd give us a hint who to conscript. Lucy and David both sound like reasonable targets a priori.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:51 pm 
After I gave her the receiver, Lucy revealed to me as conspiracy theorist. So as much as I initially wanted to get her, I guess David Kaufman would be a better conscript target. Also, he was softly advocating lynching Pesto, on the ground that Pesto had a bad alibi, and as a grad student, will continue to have bad alibis. Also, Josh thinks David is onto him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:56 am 
ksedlar wrote:
After I gave her the receiver, Lucy revealed to me as conspiracy theorist. So as much as I initially wanted to get her, I guess David Kaufman would be a better conscript target. Also, he was softly advocating lynching Pesto, on the ground that Pesto had a bad alibi, and as a grad student, will continue to have bad alibis. Also, Josh thinks David is onto him.

Uhh. You should really PM us these sorts of things. Like, really.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:06 am 
Ah, sorry! There has been a lot going on lately, as you know. Not pming about item transfers is a pretty bad habit...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:42 am 
QUESTION FOR GODS: You said earlier that mafia can win if a conscripted mafia is the only mafia left in game. However, the rules document says the opposite. It has also been the case in recent games that mafia won't win if a conscript is the only mafia left alive in the end.

As far as plotting goes, I think if a conscript can be the last mafia, we should wait to conscript. Otherwise, I think we should get an experienced Randomite conscripted ASAP. Although I still think David would be a good conscript, he has his schedule posted on RHRC, which makes him more easily killable.

TO MY FELLOW MAFIA: Regardless of the ruling, if I die, you want to conscript an experienced Randomite immediately. Ideally, I would have warning before being lynched, and I could do this myself. But Random is a geographic area that CANNOT be neglected from mafia control.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:07 am 
How many conspiracy theorists did we start out with? (Broader question- is there a list of how many of each role we started with?) I was originally a conspiracy theorist, and it seems that Lucy's role was referenced before the game was rebalanced, so if we only started with one...

ksedlar wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:13 am 
I think we should recruit the first experienced Randomite we see, both for the advice and because we have no one left in Random that we want making kills (it's unfortunate that you had to make even one). dkaufman sounds good---first who gets a good opportunity, recruit him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:03 am 
There would have almost certainly been more than one conspiracy theorist to start out with. The gods also wouldn't change people's roles without saying something about it.

Also, I am kind of annoyed that so much of our play has to revolve around who posted their classes on the intro page or who is on RHRC (Random Hall Registry of Classes). But unfortunately, it does, so we have to consider the fact that David has listed tons of classes with no other players. So, I think it might be better to kill him tomorrow.

The biggest problem players in Random seem to be David, Dgrazian, and aok. Dgrazian is a bad conscription target since making kills during the day is hard for him, people will suspect him of being a conscript target, he's going to be police officer soon (a role that looks sketchy for living), and he got conscripted last game. Anyway, we want Dgrazian killed instead. So, I think this leaves aok as the best conscript option.

aok has been one of town's loudest voices, and he's going to be a pain to have alive. But, killing him will also be a pain, since he hasn't posted his classes. I happen to know that he is taking 6.01, 8.02, and rifle, but all of those have other players in them. Although, in the case of 8.02, the only other player is me. Anyway, he's dangerous, but we don't have a good way of killing him. He also played brilliantly as a conscript two fall games ago. The only downside might be that he sets off everyone's sketch radar like crazy. But I guess we could use that to our advantage, because him being sketchy isn't indicative at all that he isn't a townie. Unless there are any protests, I'm going to recruit him during 8.02 today.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:38 am 
Sounds good.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:26 pm 
I think I'm still going to conscript aok even though conscript can be the last mafia in game. Especially since I'm mayor, and can secretly burn count the mafia charges. Having a mafia who has actually been mafia before is still something I think we want sooner rather than later.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:17 pm 
Also, here's my idealized prediction of how 8.02 will play out today (I'm in a TEAL group with aok and Josh):

Me: This is the best 8.02 group.
Josh: Why?
Me: Because we're the mafia group! All of us are mafia.
aok: I'm not mafia.
Me: Right... oh well, I can fix that. *conscript*

The problem is that this scene requires aok to actually deny being mafia. Which probably won't happen. :(

Still, I'm super excited about getting to conscript someone!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:03 pm 
aok is conscripted.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:06 pm 
ksedlar wrote:
aok is conscripted.

I'd like both of you to confirm this before I give him access to the Mafia Den.