Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:46 am 
Upon looking back through previous Graveyard forums, it has come to my attention that we need a thread like this. The cool stories, plans, and ranting is a bit too formal for general discussion. Basically, I intended for that thread to be me posting official storyteller stuff and for other people posting similarly long descriptions of in-game plots and events that we don't know about from the other forums. However, we should have a place for people to post opinions, get in arguments, etc. Essentially "cool stories, plans, and ranting will be for telling ghosts stuff we don't know, and running commentary will be for talking about already known stuff. Feel free to leave comments on if this seems like a good/bad idea!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:26 pm 
I have to say, I love the alibis for aok's killing on the alivi spreadsheet.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:11 pm 
I feel really bad for Lily. She was playing a great rogue, gathering tons of items and information, planning out kills, offering good help to the mafia, etc. And then she hits this bad luck that's almost certainly going to get her lynched. :(

It sucks that my two favorite plotters to storytell about (Lucy and Lily) either died or will die soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:13 pm 
ksedlar wrote:
I feel really bad for Lily. She was playing a great rogue, gathering tons of items and information, planning out kills, offering good help to the mafia, etc. And then she hits this bad luck that's almost certainly going to get her lynched. :(

It sucks that my two favorite plotters to storytell about (Lucy and Lily) either died or will die soon.

:c

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:23 pm 
What a rotten bit of luck for Lily. Totally against the laws of narrative, too. At least I got killed by the energetic detective work of smart townies.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:07 pm 
I guess the plus side is that things are looking good for town. Especially because once town stops having obvious lynch targets, Dgrazian and Asya will probably be on the top of the prophet-check/lynch because they've been alive too long pile.

I would have really liked to see the see my movie idea come to pass though. What am I talking about, you ask?

Live Action Mafia: The Movie

Daniel Grazian and Lily Chen are just a normal couple living normal lives. One is the mayor of their small town, and one is a diligent townsperson with a no-tolerance attitude towards crime. But they both have dark secrets. While Dgrazian tries to hide that he is a member of the mafia from his girlfriend, Lily tries to conceal her identity as rogue from her boyfriend. Neither knows that this secrecy is unnecessary, until Lily decides to take out that pesky police officer Asya, who stands as the ultimate symbol of the law. As Lily pulls a gun on Asya, Asya whips out another gun and shoots Lily first. Lily falls to the ground, but as blood seeps out from the gunshot wound in her side, she struggles to pull out a medkit, and she heals herself. The fact that Lily tried to kill her means nothing to Asya, who calmly offers Lily a hand up the ground.

"So you're one of the rogues around town trying to join us," Asya says, smiling. "Well, you've proven yourself, albeit in an unusual way. Welcome aboard." When Asya takes Lily to the mafia meeting that night, Lily's jaw drops to the floor.

"Daniel?!" she exclaims. Dgrazian looks up from the mayoral papers he's forging, and looks similarly stunned.

"Lily? What are you doing here?"

"I'm a rogue. So... all this time, I was hiding from you, thinking that as mayor, as Lord Protector of the Town, you would have condemned me to death for what I'm doing. But really, we were on the same side all along?"

"Apparently so."

Dgrazian and Lily walk towards each other knowing that now, there are no more secrets. Now, they can trust each other like they always wished they could.

"Oh Lily," Dgrazian says, embracing her, "I was so sure you were an innocent member of the town. And I tried to protect you. As much as you seemed to be helping the town, I told my organization, 'No, don't kill Lily. She deserves to live, for as long as possible.'"

"But I was trying to get the mafia to attack me!" Lily says, suddenly understanding. "That's why I got ahold of the 'medkit,' a one-of a kind prototype developed by the medical researcher Lily Chin. It instantly heals gunshot wounds. I convinced her to give it to me, and I planned to make myself a target for the mafia. When they tried to kill me, and I survived, I would keep their secret, and then they would allow me into their organization. When that didn't happen, I decided to just prove myself by killing a valuable townsperson. Luckily, things worked out even better than I had hoped."

Dgrazian continued showing Lily around the organization, introducing her to the other mafia members, some of whom died off in the next few days. But, Lily and Dgrazian's combined power proved to be a force to be reckoned with for town. They provided alibis for each other's kills, and sometimes, they would even kill together, which let them take out pairs of people instead of just individuals. Although some voices in town called for Dgrazian's death, they were quietly taken out, and no one noticed as town slowly descended into inactivity, leaving Dgrazian and Lily to rule together, a trail of bodies in their wake.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:22 pm 
ksedlar wrote:
I guess the plus side is that things are looking good for town. Especially because once town stops having obvious lynch targets, Dgrazian and Asya will probably be on the top of the prophet-check/lynch because they've been alive too long pile.

I would have really liked to see the see my movie idea come to pass though. What am I talking about, you ask?

Daniel Grazian and Lily Chen are just a normal couple living normal lives. One is the mayor of their small town, and one is a diligent townsperson with a no-tolerance attitude towards crime. But they both have dark secrets. While Dgrazian tries to hide that he is a member of the mafia from his girlfriend, Lily tries to conceal her identity as rogue from her boyfriend. Neither knows that this secrecy is unnecessary, until Lily decides to take out that pesky police officer Asya, who stands as the ultimate symbol of the law. As Lily pulls a gun on Asya, Asya whips out another gun and shoots Lily first. Lily falls to the ground, but as blood seeps out from the gunshot wound in her side, she struggles to pull out a medkit, and she heals herself. The fact that Lily tried to kill her means nothing to Asya, who calmly offers Lily a hand up the ground.

"So you're one of the rogues around town trying to join us," Asya says, smiling. "Well, you've proven yourself, albeit in an unusual way. Welcome aboard." When Asya takes Lily to the mafia meeting that night, Lily's jaw drops to the floor.

"Daniel?!" she exclaims. Dgrazian looks up from the mayoral papers he's forging, and looks similarly stunned.

"Lily? What are you doing here?"

"I'm a rogue. So... all this time, I was hiding from you, thinking that as mayor, as Lord Protector of the Town, you would have condemned me to death for what I'm doing. But really, we were on the same side all along?"

"Apparently so."

Dgrazian and Lily walk towards each other knowing that now, there are no more secrets. Now, they can trust each other like they always wished they could.

"Oh Lily," Dgrazian says, embracing her, "I was so sure you were an innocent member of the town. And I tried to protect you. As much as you seemed to be helping the town, I told my organization, 'No, don't kill Lily. She deserves to live, for as long as possible.'"

"But I was trying to get the mafia to attack me!" Lily says, suddenly understanding. "That's why I got ahold of the 'medkit,' a one-of a kind prototype developed by the medical researcher Lily Chin. It instantly heals gunshot wounds. I convinced her to give it to me, and I planned to make myself a target for the mafia. When they tried to kill me, and I survived, I would keep their secret, and then they would allow me into their organization. When that didn't happen, I decided to just prove myself by killing a valuable townsperson. Luckily, things worked out even better than I had hoped."

Dgrazian continued showing Lily around the organization, introducing her to the other mafia members, some of whom died off in the next few days. But, Lily and Dgrazian's combined power proved to be a force to be reckoned with for town. They provided alibis for each other's kills, and sometimes, they would even kill together, which let them take out pairs of people instead of just individuals. Although some voices in town called for Dgrazian's death, they were quietly taken out, and no one noticed as town slowly descended into inactivity, leaving Dgrazian and Lily to rule together, a trail of bodies in their wake.

This. This is rpf, yes? Or Live Action Mafia fanfic? Or, actually. Is Live Action Mafia fanfic considered rpf?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:28 pm 
It's both!

With action, romance, suspense and plot twists. Popcorn will be available for ghosts outside room 332 in Random Hall. Seriously, I have popcorn if any dead people want some.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:42 pm 
ksedlar wrote:
It's both!

With action, romance, suspense and plot twists. Popcorn will be available for ghosts outside room 332 in Random Hall. Seriously, I have popcorn if any dead people want some.

This non-dead God person would like some.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:42 pm 
I would absolutely act in a production of this movie. Or be tech crew. This just needs to become a thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:46 pm 
We can all be ourselves. It'll be great. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:55 pm 
Or this is how it can start:

Dgrazian in Mafia Den: "Lily Chen came over to my apartment and tried to bang me."

Well Dgrazian, we didn't think you would be so surprised. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:57 pm 
Best. Line. Ever.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:01 pm 
It does look like Lily is having some performance issues though. XD She's tried to bang two people today and it hasn't worked with either. XD

Anyway, I'm really glad Lily and Dgrazian finally had that moment of finding out about each other, although they don't get as much time to work together as they would have in my movie plans.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:01 pm 
So much win. Imagine how shocked and annoyed Lily must've been when Dgrazian told her he didn't die! What's the record for "most attempts to kill invulnerable people by one person in one day"?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:02 pm 
Pretty sure Lily just won that. The only other time I've been aware of this happening is during last game, when both Eric Yang and krue failed one kill each. In Eric Yang's case, he then turned around and took out tjhance.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:01 pm 
No, I'm pretty sure Lily wasn't annoyed by Dgrazian not dying. I would post more, but I'm sure Lily will just tell the story after she gets lynched.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:59 pm 
Lily is being a total genius. And everyone thinks Asya is a pillar of the community XD.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:05 am 
Lucy and I have decided that more people should write Live Action Mafia fanfiction! Some brainstorming we did:

1. Fanfic with the Lucy, George, Lilly Chin trio of gay children
2. Fanfic of the love story of gay knights juesato and kemus
3. Fanfic of "What if Shi-ke COULD convert people into being gay knights with him?"
4. Fanfic of Josh's transformation from backup to investigator
5. Fanfic of David Kaufman's plan for tomorrow (and maybe if it worked)
6. Fanfic of killing someone during a Resistance game
7. Fanfic of what would happen if someone summoned Cthulu mid-game
8. Fanfic of what would happen if David Kaufman were mafia, with a standing invitation to someone's room, and then he rappelled through the window and killed that person
9. #8, but while the person is having sex with someone else
10. Fanfic of if there were a resurrection special power
11. Fanfic of mass resurrection power: swap living with dead players
12. Fanfic of what would happen if players finally had a meeting at Random, and then we ghosts turned the lights off, ran around wearing sheets, and touching people on the shoulder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:04 pm 
Daniel Grazian wrote:
Lily Chen came over to my apartment and tried to bang me. It failed

This is the most hilarious statement out of context. XD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:24 pm 
Re: kaufmand

What the fuck, I don't even.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:26 pm 
I'll leave it to ksedlar to update Graveyard on today's events. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:32 pm 
The thing about fanfic reminds me: I once had this whole elaborate thing about how the plot of Atlas Shrugged could be modeled as a game of live action mafia. I should re-remember it and write it all down.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:43 pm 
Ugh, I have so much work to do! So many things happened today, and there aren't even any deaths.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:10 pm 
Oh man, I'm kinda hoping they don't manage to kill Alex so that we get to hear about his crazy convoluted plans.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:09 pm 
I really hope they lynch a townie today. So far there have been three no lynches and three dead baddies.
On the other hand, two kills today! Go us! Also go Asya four killing four people plus a bonus gay knight with evictions. Super public kills that don't look sketchy at all FTW.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:23 pm 
But eviction kills actually aren't good for mafia. They're just saving town the trouble of lynching inactives. Total inactives are almost certainly not mafia, but they still have negative benefit for town. They have no positive contribution to town, since they don't help people figure anything out or use their roles at all. Yet, they make petitions significantly harder for town, mafia can kill/ask them for items, and they add extra confusion on spreadsheets where they haven't posted anything. Additionally, town SHOULD very much have a general policy of lynching/evicting inactives, because if they don't, and let it slide that inactives don't post alibis or anything, then inactivity becomes a great place for mafia to hide.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:05 pm 
I disagree. Evictions are absolutely good for mafia. They save the mafia the trouble of tracking down and killing ~5-10 townies who are more likely to be west campus people who nobody else in game knows personally. This is equivalent to accelerating a potential mafia victory by 5+ days.

Even if they're completely inactive, they still have a positive benefit for town by staying alive due to being hard to find/kill. As long as they're alive, they help the town by standing in the way of a mafia victory.

The only benefit town gets from evicting/lynching inactives is making petitions easier. This is not really a problem until the number of inactives starts to approach half the number of living players, which is far from the case.

Daniel and I both think that optimal town lynch strategy is probably to go no-lynch and wait until there is a preponderance of evidence that someone is mafia-aligned before lynching, rather than randomly lynching inactives or only-mildly-sketchy people. To combat this, future games might want to introduce some sort of penalty against town for not lynching, much like mafia's Psychotic penalty.

The mafia really can't hide very well by being inactive, unless the player in question would have been inactive regardless of alignment, in which case they wouldn't be very useful to the mafia anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:16 pm 
Also, according to Isaac, the good guys and the bad guys have been dying at approximately the same rate (36-37%). This makes me slightly more hopeful for a mafia win, though I'm still pessimistic for a mafia win overall, since Daniel and Asya might get lynched soon. They've both been alive "too long" for powerful/knowledgeable, skilled players.

I really hope Hassan (Sibyani) does something soon. He really should have made a kill the day after I died, if not sooner. He and Austin are likely to be the last bad guys left alive, and they really need to get their shit together in order to pull a mafia win.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:16 pm 
++to townie penalty for no lynching. But it shouldn't kick in until day 3 or so, or until there have been two kills.