Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Game Introduction
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:20 pm 
You wake up in a dark, windowless room. Through small cracks in the stone and brick you see slivers of moonlight creeping in. The surrounding air is stale and cold, leaving a strange taste in your mouth.

From all sides of the room you hear rustling sounds. As you watch, the darkness in the cell begins to take shape -- forty five distinct shapes, to be exact -- which loom up from the inky blackness, converging upon the very center of the room, where you still lie. As you jump to your feet, your eyes adjust to the darkness and you can finally make out faces. Faces you know very well. In fact, every single member of your small village seems to be present.

Not all is well, however. You are still stuck in a dark windowless room, with the temperature rising and the oxygen content falling. More importantly, as everyone knows, your village has forty five residents. So how can you being seeing forty five shapes? There should only be forty four other people. As you walk through the crowd of people, closely inspecting everyone's face, you recognize both old friends and long-time acquaintances. But where is the impostor?

Finally, in the farthest corner of the room, you find the right shape. The impostor, who has had the audacity to take on a perfect replica of your face and body as a disguise. As you rip off the impostor's hood, you cry out, "I've found the impostor! He must die!" But as the cry escapes your throat you hear your voice pitch drop, feel your skin start to bubble and swell into the monster you truly are.

The sun shines through the curtain blinds covering your window. You wake up, roll out of bed, and go to work.

Welcome to Live Action Mafia!

There are five mafia and two rogues in this game.

Role distribution was computed as follows:
  • 5 Mafia and 2 Rogues were added.
  • Town roles were weighted by power and importance.
  • Your [ambi][bene][male]volent Robot Overlord wrote some code.
  • Role numbers were randomly distributed, then redistributed until both your gods were happy.
  • The only true criteria was Investigators + (Backups*0.5) <= 6.5
Game starts at 11pm on January 8th, 2014. Town is not allowed to lynch before a murder has occurred.

Initial item distribution has been covered in another thread.

Please note that editing of posts has been disabled (unless you're God), so that shenanigans don't happen. Also note that to get the forum to display the correct time, you will need to go to User Control Panel, click on Board Preferences, and set Daylight Savings Time to No.

Have fun, and feel free to post your name, where you live, places you hang out, etc. below so other people can find you. And presumably give you cookies. Which I think someone still owes Justin.

Hugs and kisses,

Your God the amorphous pink blob :)

**Flavor text in this post written by your [ambi][bene][male]volent Robot Overlord

Post subject: Re: Game Introduction
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:24 pm 
Hello, my name is Katie Sedlar! I have brown hair with turqoise dye in it. I live on floor BMF in Random Hall and generally hang out in Random somewhere on 290 side (Pecker, BMF, Black Hole, and Foo). In terms of classes for IAP, I'm doing Battlecode and fencing.

Last edited by ksedlar on Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:34 pm 
Hi! I'm Colleen and I live in Maseeh. I'm taking pistol TR at 11. I'm teaching 6.177 the last two weeks of IAP and live in Maseeh.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:53 pm 
Hi! I'm Lily Chen. I live on BMF (3rd floor on 290 side of Random). I'm taking 6.149 over IAP, and Metal Casting class for the first week of IAP. If you don't know what I look like, I'm the person on the left in this photo.

I am not to be confused with the similarly-named Lilly Chin, who is also playing in this game. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:11 pm 
Hi, I'm Daniel, also known as dmz. I live on Clam (3rd floor of Random's 282 side), and I'm doing BattleCode over IAP and possibly Beginner Skating at 2:30 TR.

Good luck everyone and have fun!

(EDIT: I don't actually have Fake ID #1. God is fallible. Go reveal to people that actually have items. Except maybe don't all do that because that could be (slightly) useful information for Mafia.)

Last edited by dmz on Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:12 pm 
Hi! I'm Ishara and I live in Random, on Pecker (4th floor, 290 side). I'm taking 8.01L and 6.149 over IAP, and otherwise I can usually be found on Pecker.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:22 pm 
Hi. I'm aok, and I'm mafia. If you're rogue, come talk to me!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:28 pm 
Hi, I'm Lisa. I live in Random on Bonfire (282 side, 4th floor). I'm taking Sabre Fencing TR 2-3, 9.S97, and 6.177.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:30 pm 
So, kill aok?

Also, FYI, AustinFathman and Dcosio live next to / across the hall from me. Grill them if I die, especially in Maseeh.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:31 pm 
I'm abergal! I live in Random, can generally be found there, and am also doing Battlecode this semester.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:31 pm 
Hello! I am Victor Lopez (lopezv), and I live over at Random on Clam. I am currently enrolled in 6.149 and 16.682 (Momentum). You can usually find me some where in Random.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:34 pm 
Hi. I'm mafia, and I'm aok. If you're shi-ke, come talk to me!

In all seriousness, I live in Random (although if you're looking for me to kill me, you should go to E.T. instead). I'm taking Battlecode and Caffeinated Zombie 6.001 and otherwise can usually be found in Random.

If you're looking for a good hitman target who is close to me and will have many opportunities to kill me, I strongly recommend someone who lives in New House.

Alternatively, if you're looking for a good conscription target, pick dgrazian so that town can lynch him.

I am very knowledged about game. Therefore, if you want to kill someone but don't know who to kill, you should come and ask me about who to kill instead of killing me.

I also think that appropriately roleplaying your in-game role is very important. Therefore, if you need me, I will be spending lots of time in Josh's room. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:36 pm 
Hi, my name is Jenny Lin, and I feel the urge to kill rising with each hiragana character I fail to correctly write. When I'm not taking Japanese I, I am normally lurking in McCormick, though I guess I should find a more accessible place to lurk and will inform everyone once I do so. I'm also doing that Push Button thing, so if you want to kill me quickly you should probably come to the lectures this week and listen to cool people talk about developing arcade games. Fancy stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:49 pm 
Hi, I'm Daniel.

I graduated last year (class of 2013.)
I work at Oracle (1 Main Street.)
My apartment is at 897 Main Street #3.

I can often be found at Random Hall, especially on BMF and Pecker. I also visit et fairly often.

I'm running for mayor and/or police officer.

We really really want to have a mayor and police officer constantly. Unless somebody is being super awesome about this (and you'll make yourself look really innocent while you're at it!) and getting enough signatures on petitions to elect people tonight, we'll probably need to wait until tomorrow. But we need people elected tomorrow for sure!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:02 pm 
Hi I'm Lucy (lucegtz)

I'm taking 8.01L, 6.149, and Belly Dancing.

I can usually be found on Pecker, BMF, or ET.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:22 pm 
You wake up, roll out of bed, and go to work. Fortunately you are unfazed by the nightmare because you hardly ever remember your dreams anyway. Unfortunately you are late for work because you woke up at 3pm. Fortunately you aren't taking any morning classes over IAP. Unfortunately you have a really strong temptation to publicly reveal as mafia. Fortunately you manage to resist that temptation .... sort of.

I'm David (kaufmand) and I'm rogue (did you know you could write in colors? I didn't). aok/shike should come talk to me; I'm too lazy to get out of my room right now. But not too lazy to write extra flavor text. Go figure. Oh, and for those of you who think I'm a troll, I'm less troll-ish when I'm actually in game and not just trying to amuse myself.

"What does troll even mean?" -- anticipated comment by Shike.
"Don't worry about it. I'll explain when you come to my room to coordinate our kills." -- me

I live in Random on Pecker and hang out on various floors in Random. And ET. And EC. Mostly Random though.

I'm taking battle code and 6.828. Also UPOP next week.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:35 pm 
Hi I'm still Lucy.

This is mchang02's introduction though

"You can usually find me in #334 on BMF. If you knock I'll likely play dead. Sexual favors may make me more likely to let you in. Requests for Medlink services would also probably work. As would a request to see my penises. Or get me food. Flashing me would also work though I guess that falls under sexual favors"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:11 am 
I'm mchang, and I approve of Lucy's message above.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:55 am 
Hi, I'm Krue. I live on Black Hole in Random Hall, and I'm taking a clay class with the SAA from 4:30-7 on W, although the studio is open from 4-10pm on MW, so I maybe there more often. I'm working on a thesis (oh god why), so I'll probably end up spending a decent amount of time in 16-6 or 8-107. Both rooms are card/key access only, so you may have to wait til I need to pee if you want to kill me there, but 16-6 is pretty out of the way. I got killed there in a guild game once. Never trust Ducky Ben. Anyway, I have brown hair with a kind of super faded streak of blue/purple dye, might end up dying it better at some point. I will be playing the IAP 10-day, assuming I get cast. Good luck, all!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:15 am 
Hi, I'm Jonathan. I live in Next, but I'm not really sure where I'll be during the day, so I hope nobody makes the long trek out to kill me. This is my first time playing Live Action Mafia, but I'll try my best (advice appreciated... as long as you're not mafia)!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:18 am 
Hi! My name is Sara Volz, I'm a Cancer, and I enjoy long walks on the beach. Except right now it's really cold out, so.

I'm taking 8.20 over IAP, and I live in McCormick. I have a tendency to wander to places where interesting things are happening, but I'm less good at anticipating when/what they'll be.

Happy killing, everybody!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:41 am 
Hi there,

my name's Elizabeth, live on 4E in East Campus. First time playing LAM (do people even call it that? is that a thing??). Taking Python and Momentum, (also tai chi and kung fu??). I'm terrible at describing things, but I have reddish pinkish stuff in my hair.

okbyenow

-Elizabeth Rider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:57 am 
I'm Miranda Gavrin, and I live at Pika. Sadly I'm going to be at work in a card-access-secured area of building 46, so unless you want to lie in wait in the 6th floor ladies room you should probably kill me between 1PM and 2PM on a Tuesday or Thursday, when I'm taking archery in the rockwell gym. In the evenings and on weekends I'll be at Pika.

@enrider: I think of it as LAM sometimes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:34 am 
Hi, I'm George Xing, and I live in Random Hall (on Clam). At any given time, I am most likely to be somewhere in Random.

This is my first game, by the way.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:38 am 
Enrider: Yes, some people call it LAM, although mostly in text, I generally hear people just call it Live Action Mafia in speech.

Juesato: Believe me, you'll be getting more advice than you can probably handle. There will probably be an advice thread going up soon from some of the more experienced players. Chances are not all of us are mafia, so you can probably trust general advice that gets posted publicly to the forum (i.e. pass off your items from their starting locations, don't tell everyone ever what your roll is right off the bat, visit kill sites if you get the chance even if you're not an investigator so that mafia staking out the place can't easily pick out the investigators).

New players: Welcome! Good luck, don't die!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:06 pm 
Hello! I'm Ellena, I live in EC, 2E, and during the day I'm probably hanging out on hall or sometimes at the bouldering wall in Walker (if I can motivate myself to do exercise). I'm also taking trashcan drumming and bellringing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:22 pm 
Why hellooo there!

I'm Kevin, I live on Beast, the second floor of the Easy, err East parallel of EC. I'm a maslab staff member, so you might find me on the third floor of that buildings where MITERs is. I like to wear capes.

<33

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:13 pm 
Hi! I'm Lilly Chin. I live on Pecker (4th floor on 290 side of Random). I'm taking 21F.501 over IAP, and Battlecode class for all the weeks of IAP. If you don't know what I look like, I'm the person on the left in this photo.

I am not to be confused with the similarly-named Lily Chen, who is also playing in this game. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:24 pm 
Hi, I'm Josh Frisch, aka Jfrisch. (Either Josh or Jfrisch is fine). I am a junior who lives on pecker, the fourth floor of random. I can generally be found around there. I'm also taking the Tuesday/Thursday section of running and jogging with Victor Lopez who is also playing. I was god last game and the fall game before that so I have some idea whats going on.

Anyways, go town!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:17 pm 
Hi! I'm Sarah Hensley, and I live on 4W of East Campus. You can also find me at tEp, and sometimes lurking about Random. I'm taking archery and 6.177 this IAP. And I'm one of the new players!