Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: General Advice Thread
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:55 pm 
Copy-pasting from Miranda two games ago:

"People with items
If you have a medkit, a microphone, or a receiver, give it to someone else! If the mafia think you have a medkit or a mic they'll use Kaboom, so those items are most useful when the mafia have no clue who has them. If you have a mic or the medkit, give it to someone who lives with a lot of other players, is very experienced, or for some other reason is likely to be a target. If you have a receiver, give it to someone who is not a likely target. Microphone/receiver pairs only work when the person with the receiver outlives the person with the microphone.

Elected officials
The elected positions are way more useful to townies than to mafia, so we should make sure to have a mayor and a police officer all the time. Ksedlar and I are both running for mayor; vote for both of us in case one of us gets killed. I don't know who's running for police officer, but you should vote for them too, or possibly run yourself.

Telling people your role
It's usually good to tell one or two players your role, so that town will know who they've lost if you die. It's also good to tell one or two players who knew your role, so that town will know whodunnit if you die by Set a Trap. But don't tell everyone your role, or you'll die by Set a Trap. Relatedly, investigators should find someone they trust to proxy their results. Don't tell more than maybe one other person besides your proxy: if the mafia find out you're an investigator, they will kill you, and town needs you alive."

My additions:

Although Miranda, as God, will not be running for mayor this game, I will be! While I obviously advocate people voting for me personally, the important thing is to get a mayor elected fairly soon.

I also want to reiterate that, as EC found out last game, TELLING YOUR ENTIRE LIVING GROUP/GROUP OF FRIENDS YOUR ROLE IS NOT A GOOD PLAN!

Use your roles! Desperado/prophet abilities are no good if mafia kill you before you can activate them.

That's all I have for now, although I will almost certainly have additional things to say later. Other experienced players should also feel free to add stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:14 pm 
A few especially important pieces of advice:

1. USE YOUR ROLES. I actually think the mafia have an advantage in this game (compared to the past few games, in which I believe there was an overwhelming town advantage.) The only way we have a chance is if everybody is actively using their roles. This means:
- Investigators investigate every day
- Superheroes frontload their power (with high probability)
- Desperadoes, use your power early rather than later.
- Prophets, don't die without using your power. You are our most important role in the game.
- Backups always be backing up two living players
- Conspiracy Theorist, always have people on your list.

2. Be very conservative about telling people your roles. Note the mafia's Set-a-Trap ability. This is how they can massacre us. Don't let them.

3. Items should go to trusted townspeople (Innocent Child ideally.) They should NOT go to somebody who can't demonstrate their innocence. Also, the fake-id and medkit should be in the same hands, so that the mafia can't 'kaboom' the medkit without destroying the fake-id.

4. Discuss lynching decisions by 8:00 p.m.

5. Backups want to backup prophets.

6. Expect the game to last 4 to 5 days. Do not be afraid to activate desperado or prophet abilities, ESPECIALLY if you are physically easy to kill.

I'll think of more quite possibly. But please take these things to heart.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:38 pm 
As long as we're giving advice, I strongly approve of the above posters' decisions to have Pokémon references in their signatures. More people should do that. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:48 pm 
Just a reminder that it's nice to know what's going on for those of us who aren't around for the inevitable impromptu in-person meetings. This is my first time playing this game in which I'm not living in a major living group hub, and I like knowing what's going on. :)