Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Elections
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:01 am 
It looks to me like electing a police officer has no downside. We might as well also have a mayor, although the mafia could do some permanent damage if we accidentally elect them (by using up our shady contracts).

Is anyone interested in these positions?

Any comments?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:19 pm 
Could someone start circulating a petition for me to elect me as the town Police Officer? I'm ineligible for mayor apparently.

Post subject: dead?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:45 pm 
Didn't you say you were already dead? I don't think dead people can be police officers either.

I forgot to mention in the previous email that I'm fine with being elected to either role, although I understand if my proposal that we elect someone makes people trust me less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:47 pm 
I'd like to be Mayor or Police Officer. I am starting petitions to this effect. We should definitely have a Mayor and a Police Officer. Especially in the beginning of the game, they are town-favored roles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:56 pm 
On a second reading of the script, I'm technically assumed. I think town is allowed to elect me as the Police Officer, should it find the notion sufficiently hilarious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:25 pm 
To clarify, JB is not a player in this game (i.e. does not vote, cannot kill, cannot be lynched, etc.) However, he will provide advice to the mafia and hilarity to the town.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:27 pm 
I'm running for police officer. Adam is bringing the petition to Random kitchens (I'm doing homework) and will leave it in Black Hole's kitchen (290 side, second floor). Please sign it or post an argument to elect someone else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:40 pm 
Proposal for elections:
Only those with a special role run for Mayor.

Why:
Mayor's four votes make it a risk to have a Mafia Mayor, especially later in the game. The Prophet can confirm that a Mayor is a townsperson only if they are a special role. Otherwise, the Prophet cannot distinguish a vanilla townie Mayor from a Mafia one.

We don't necessarily want to use the Prophet's one-use power on the Mayor, but the threat of doing so at some point make it very risky for Mafia to run for Mayor.

There's another cool benefit. The Prophet can then tell the Mayor what the Mayor's special role is to confirm his or her identity as the Prophet, as Mafia cannot fake this except by guessing.

Given that most townies have a special role, I believe the decrease in possible candidates under this proposal is outweighed by the increased trust we can have in our Mayorship.

I realize this reveals that Mayor is a special role, but a majority of townies are special roles and they are all so diverse that little is lost to reveal that a Mayor is also a special role. I do feel bad that this strategy limits the awesome fun of being mayor to players who already had the luck to get a special role, but I think it's the right way to go for town.

(I committed to supporting this before anyone was assigned roles in front of Daniel Grazian and aok. So, my role assignment has no influence in this proposal.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:43 pm 
Alex did discuss this with me pre-game, and I agree that it is a good idea.

And yes, I am a special role.

Also, Alex is about to make another post, which I strongly agree with (we're at et together right now.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:49 pm 
What would the most effective way be to get petitions done before 11 tonight? It would be nice if we could use the once-per-day powers for mayor and policeman today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:52 pm 
Also, I think Arkhipov meant to say "Seer" instead of Prophet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:58 pm 
Alex's proposal seems reasonable, except I believe that he means the Seer instead of the Prophet.

That move will also put pressure on the Mafia to use their conscript on someone who stands a chance at being elected Mayor, instead of the target player's role usefulness, convenience for assassinations, knowledge of Mafia identities, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:03 pm 
For those not at Random: David's petition has 10 or 11(? forgot exactly how many) signatures as of 22:00 when Adam came to Bonfire kitchen where he had me, benkraft, and Lily sign.

(benkraft made the point that this would be more trustworthy if the selection of police officer had been done using RNG with multiple people watching, but decided to sign anyway. I think this is reasonable but I also think it's unlikely enough a priori that David is mafia, so I decided to sign anyway.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:06 pm 
The petition can now be found in Pecker 442.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:13 pm 
Mayors are easy to impeach. We don't need to worry much about electing a mafia mayor at this point. I'm fine with just about anybody being mayor who wants to be (though my first choice would be me:))

I wouldn't want to use a random number generator for this. I want the mayor to be someone who will be quite involved in this game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:28 pm 
I should be the Police Officer. You know that I will take the job very seriously. I know to keep an eye on the Mafia. I cannot seize your items due to lack of proximity, and I need to be impeached before some sleazy buffoon takes the office. And with the power of Police officer, I can meddle in the affairs of the Mafia. If I fail to protect someone on a given day, feel free to impeach me.

Vote JB for CP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:50 pm 
We have 15 signatures on the petition to make dkaufman police officer. We need 17. Please come to Random 442 (Kitchen side Pecker) in the next 10 minutes and sign the petition!