Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Strategy brainstorming
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:28 am 
Hi everyone! Let's discuss some strategy ideas here (specifically/most importantly those relevant to day 0-1). New players' ideas especially welcome! New rolesets are exciting :D

I'll start:
I think splitters should consider splitting early, maybe even on day 0 or 1? All that matters here is picking a bunch of players who are reasonably likely to be town and likely to survive until they get to use their investigations, so picking new players works really well in early game since mafia is generally discouraged from killing them early. The main potential downside is that if too many splitters activate early and mafia manipulates all their early kills / makes few early kills, a lot of investigations are wasted.

Thoughts (and other unrelated ideas)?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:43 am 
I agree with Sammy. In particular, if a splitter activates day n, the actual effect of people getting investigations happens on day n+2, so there is a significant delay. Currently the total set size is 7, which gives a 3-4 split (AKA 3 people get the effect). I think that splitters should definitely split before the number of living players hits 25, which would cause a 2-3 split (AKA 2 people get the effect).

My initial thought about the planeswalker role is that they should try to be guardian angels as often as possible. In particular, the other daily roles (pickpocket, roleblocker, witch) seem not very useful (or actively bad). It may be useful to save up to be a vigilante, but I am inclined to think that zombies will cover that niche better.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:27 am 
I also think guardian angel is pretty good. Note that pair investigation is also a choice though - there should probably be some balance between investigation and protection?

Also, we need some way to stop witches from being trap bait, and also some way to hold mafia witches somewhat accountable so they don't just give mafia an extra kill a day. Ideas?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:26 pm 
What is the distribution of roles? Is it uniform for each player (so that in theory all players can have the same role), or there are fixed amount of players allocated to each role?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:38 pm 
Can we make an alibi spreadsheet for deaths? This seems like an easy way to keep track of them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:22 pm 
From what I understand of the curse rule, it seems to be a good idea to announce that you are cursed at the end of the day, without annoucing who cursed you? That way one is less likely to be killed on the next day if they manage to survive the current day.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:31 pm 
But that seems like a bad idea? Town wants a free set investigation, and mafia kill will probably happen anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:33 pm 
No, I don't think cursed people should be saying anything, because all that does is tells mafia whether they should be killing that person. If people reveal being cursed at the end of the day they are cursed, mafia will just avoid them as long as possible, and if people reveal the day before, mafia will kill them for the extra kill. We don't get any benefit by knowing that someone is cursed, but mafia can get a benefit from this, so it's not good for town.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:34 pm 
Agree with above, saying you were cursed can really only ever help mafia.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:50 pm 
That makes sense I guess. Never got good at mafia because of all the bad ideas I have like this one. *Laughs nervously*

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:28 pm 
Sorry if this is stupid, but what does it mean to 'tell a proxy something'?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:35 pm 
Not stupid, just jargon you're not familiar with.
I'll illustrate with an example: investigator A makes an investigation and wants to post it publically, but posting it publically would reveal their role. Instead, they tell player B "someone made an investigation...". B then either picks another person C to tell, or posts it publically themself. Thus it gets posted publically but the person who posts it isn't necessarily an investigator.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:48 pm 
I am concerned about the lack of splitter results. So far it seems like there has been one splitter who activated day 1 or before. As Sammy and I previously mentioned, splitting early is important. Even a splitter (Splitter Scissors) who activated day 1 only managed to produce 1 pair investigation out of it. So if you are a splitter and you haven't split yet, you really should.

Also, because someone was wondering about this previously: if you are a child, you really should not be revealing your role to people unless you are about to be lynched. Revealing your role to a random person is pretty unhelpful if you reveal to a townie, but it is very dangerous if you reveal to a mafia, because they can trap and kill you.

Similarly, while mad scientists should have collected enough bodies at this point, if you are one, you should be careful about turning random people into zombies. Doing so essentially reveals your role to that person, and if that person is mafia, they get 2 free kills (one from the role and one from the trap on you), plus the general bonus of immunity to roleblocks and tasers. It's not even particularly inconvenient that you get notified if that person makes a kill, because mafia can just have other members kill until they decide to trap you. So, my thought is that mad scientists might want to hold onto the ability to make zombies until we need a vigilante kill on someone. And if you do decide to make person X into a zombie, you should (with reasonably high probability) tell someone that X knows your role.