A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Investigations
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:21 pm 
Investigator pomegranate says jakob didn't kill sammyluo

Post subject: Re: Investigations
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:26 pm 
Discussion at ET concludes that pair investigators should proxy the entire pair, not just the innocent person

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:32 pm 
I agree

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:52 pm 
Investigator pomegranate says the other person in the pair investigation was brunnerj

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:19 pm 
not all results are pairwise though (witch set investigations; roleblockers know their target didn't do it; mad scientists know their zombie didn't do it; anyone in contact with a town child knows they didn't do it; I think that's it?)

Do we actually want the pair proxied, since that indicates whether or not it was an investigation of that form?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:49 pm 
we could have single results of "maybe guilty" and "innocent" proxied separately to different people at different times.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:52 pm 
A little bird says yyao1 didn't kill sammyluo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:56 pm 
re little bird, I think it's better to investigate more experienced players at game start, since new players make sloppy kills often.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:58 pm 
People at ET have convinced me that the whole pair should be proxied and not just one person, so m2w, can you ask little bird who the other person in the pair was?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:03 pm 
"pear investigator" says that {mayars, brunnerj} -> sammyluo yields that brunnerj did not kill sammyluo.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:07 pm 
little bird tweets that result is yyao1 only

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:11 am 
The pair/set investigation should technically be "a person X is not guilty for that kill", because the guilty one can be different from the murderer.

Do we actually have infallible investigation in the game? The rules say nothing about who is allowed to have it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:24 am 
Good point vito.

Infallible investigations aren't in game, I think - we initially wrote the rules with a few extra roles, but took them out because having too many roles makes game more confusing. I believe none of the remaining roles have any way to get infallible investigations. But I might just be misremembering my own rules. :P

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:16 am 
++ good point, I assume that whenever an investigation is proxied out it implicitly means "is not guilty" not "didn't do it".
I also agree that no one can get infallible investigations, oops we forgot to take that out. I think the closest thing possible to an infallible investigation is a roleblock...and even that becomes less than 100% accurate in late game when there can be mafia zombies.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:24 pm 
Investigator watermelon reports that among (linus, maxmurin) maxmurin is innocent of the 2:30 murder of ritagram.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:14 pm 
Investigator Pomegranate says an investigation of jamb and linus for ritagram got jamb as innocent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:54 am 
Pear investigator: {Lucy, Linus} --> Margarita gives Lucy as not-guilty.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:56 pm 
Investigator Plum says that the investigation
(jasonlam, jasonye) -> jamb
returns jasonlam as innocent.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:51 pm 
After a bit of discussion at ET, dylanhen, lukesci, and I concluded that Splitter investigations (that is, free Pair Investigations gotten from Splitters) shouldn't need to go through proxy chains, as getting a free investigation from a Splitter doesn't reveal any info the Mafia don't already know.

We also concluded that Splitters should probably proxy out which two sets they chose (since again, this doesn't give Mafia any more information than they already have).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:00 pm 
Splitter Scissors says that yesterday, the mafia picked the set {m2w, ritagram, julian} over the set {ksedlar, lukesci, jasonye}. Presumably this is because fewer pair investigations are better than more. This also may have been motivation for the ritagram kill and for the knock on Julian's door.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:06 pm 
@Julian Were you the "Investigator Plum" investigation? If not, did you make a different investigation today?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:08 pm 
Yeah, I'm investigator plum. I realized there was very little reason for a proxy but I also realized that there was very little reason to be concerned about telling anyone (max) that I had a result, so I figured it can't hurt.

This is approximately what I expected when I got my free investigation. I suppose the fact that Jason's set was not chosen makes him look slightly towny?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:10 pm 
I chose Jason Ye because I suspected him, and Jason Lam because two other people suspected him. I was not particularly surprised by the result...

Darn I don't know who we should execute though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:10 pm 
Pear investigator: {jasonye, dylanhen} --> jamb yields jasonye as innocent.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:48 pm 
Nice, that's useful. Interesting timing for that investigation though??

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:51 pm 
Sorry, it was proxied to me before day-end, I was just not paying enough attention... It was not that long before day-end though (obscuring exact times for anonymity).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:56 pm 
Lucy won't post investigations for unknown, probably OOG reasons, so I'm investigator pomegranate's new proxy. Pomegranate says that {Daniel Grazian, mayars} -> m2w returned Daniel Grazian.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:18 pm 
Roleblocker apple claims to have roleblocked mayars on d2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:43 pm 
Watermelon investigated maxmurin and laberca for the death of m2w (the first parallel killer death) and maxmurin was innocent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:28 pm 
A little butterfly whispered to me jasonlam's innocence for today's kills