Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:36 pm 
Keyword Link (for looking up role info and rumors/secrets): keyword/ . Do not look up keywords you don't have access to.
Rules: https://docs.google.com/document/d/113C ... sp=sharing
Lynch Vote Link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:06 pm 
Rules clarifications:

dead players will have their votes listed on lynch forms as normal, but they probably can't change their vote to anything, so they vote for themselves by default. So voting-wise, voting for yourself is not immediately distinguishable from being dead (except dead people probably had their deaths posted at some point).

You CAN reactively use incants in response to someone else using an incant on you or coming towards you to make an incant.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:55 pm 
I have quickly realized that getting individual pms about "draw mana" is a lot. So instead of pming me about it, please fill out this google form instead: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:09 pm 
Um two things:
1. The draw mana form should probably include who receives the mana, although for the most part it’s to the drawer.
2. The keyword wesbite is broken right now? (Searching things give internal server error.)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:14 pm 
1. Good, point, fixed. Lots of people have been asking me questions; in general these are great questions, and help me fix oversights I've made. Keep doing it!

2. This is an IS&T issue that happens sometimes. :( It's sad.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:37 am 
Okay, it turns out there was an invalid character issue actually; it just looked like some of the IS&T issues that happened before. Secrets should all be working now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:46 am 
To restate some answers to issues that have frequently come up:
- You CANNOT look up things in the keyword search unless you mechanically know the word. You can mechanically learn it either from seeing it in double brackets, getting a secret as the result of an incant, or having the rumor keyword shared with you. You CANNOT make guesses.
- Do not look at the stuff in the athena locker for the keyword site. This is super illegal.
- You can only share rumors, not secrets (unless there is a mechanic that lets you share a secret). Rumors are the last 4 letters of a secret keyword. So if you knew the secret "secret" you could share "cret" as a rumor.
- Please put "draw mana" results in the google form stated above from now on. This is not a rule per say, just GM sanity.
- If you learn a rumor or secret, please look it up in the keyword search. This is how GMs keep track of what rumors people know.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:16 pm 
Anything that says "investigation" means an investigation of the form "Did X kill Y?" If something is a pair investigation (return an innocent result from a set of 2), it will say "pair investigation." Likewise, something that is a set investigation (Did anyone in set X make this kill?) will say "set investigation."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:25 pm 
If you somehow acquire the ability to cast a spell that uses colored mana that you don't know how to use, you cannot cast it. You would need to somehow figure out how to use mana of the required color.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:52 pm 
GMs reserve the right to ignore write-in execution method votes at any time, and we are likely to do this if we aren't sure how to resolve things (i.e. if "death by cats" is the most popular choice, and "hanging" is the next most popular choice, GMs are free to make the execution method "hanging.") Additionally, the GM Death Penalty Review Board will veto methods of execution that wouldn't actually kill a human, or that would cost the government too many resources (e.g. just combining multiple options, or using items not specified in the original execution options, like rockets).

Basically, the write-in execution method votes may be an option if you want to propose a minor modification to an existing method, or if you want to do something that you could reasonably expect to do with existing resources. But overall, you probably want to use a pre-made execution method if you want to be sure of your method vote counting.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:16 am 
If person X dies from HP loss, then the following are true with respect to investigative mechanics:
- If player Y caused the 1 HP -> 0 HP drop, Y will show up as being X's killer
- If player X took a direct action (e.g. casting a spell) which caused their HP drop, X will show up as their own killer.
- If some other weird thing happened, no one will show up as X's killer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:23 am 
If some effect could happen as a result of appending a phrase to an incant, then
a. You must append the phrase immediately after saying the incant
b. You can append the phrase simply via knowing the phrase to append; basically, it's a modification of an existing incant you can do, not a different incant.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:48 pm 
Having dinner now; expect responses to not happen as much for an hour.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:34 pm 
The disguise stuff I ordered in the mail came, so if anyone wants to disguise themselves while sketchily incanting, just ask me! :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:32 am 
If there are two different sources would give you the ability to make the same incant phrase, you cannot stack their effects within the same individual incant instance. Basically, think of them as being two different incants that are indistinguishable to the target/observer.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:09 pm 
You can't cast spells or vote if you're at 0 HP. Sorry about this being very unclear from the rules.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:21 pm 
I have a lot of group chats open. If you ask me a direct question in a group chat, I might not see it for a while; it's more effective to send me a direct gchat message, or even to pm me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:33 pm 
Unless the description for your incant says otherwise, you are by default allowed to use incants on yourself.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:39 pm 
You CAN use colored mana of a type you don't know how to use for the purpose of casting uncolored spells. Basically consider it the case that you can take away color from mana for free.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:05 pm 
Freeze is a SEPARATE ability from "bang/kaboom." Do not assume that you can "freeze" someone just because you can make a killing incant.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:51 pm 
Restating for the record; please pm me if you want faster responses to questions / spells / actions / whatever. My queue at this point is roughly: pms, individual gchats, forums, group chats. With some variance for things like "posting full vote count, including votes of people who didn't vote / people who are dead."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:33 am 
If there are two different sources would give you the ability to make the same incant phrase, but they both have the same restriction about how often you can use the incant phrase on an individual person, the restriction applies per use of the incant phrase itself, not per source of the incant phrase.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:23 pm 
If you are using a spell of the form "teach X," you must actually know X yourself.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:36 pm 
Dead players can't be lynched. If you vote for a dead player, your vote does not count (though your vote for method of execution does).