Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:16 pm 
- Python continually surviving being lynched. The initial idea was that although a lich would survive a lynch, the lich's phylactery would be publicly randomly redistributed, and then the recipient of the redistribution would probably be encouraged by town to destroy it. I completely forgot that "give away the phylactery to a commanded undead" was a viable strategy, and by the time I realized this, python was in the process of implementing that solution, and it felt kind of unfair to make that mid-game rules change in light of the fact that python had been screwed over by the rules kerfuffle with using "necromantic command" on Lotta. So I felt that it wasn't particularly unfair to have town's lynch attempt fail on python fail, given that town didn't really have a legitimate way of knowing python was a necromancer in the first place. Python was still far from immortal though. Notably he was not smited by the undead hunters (despite being public undead), managed to avoid having Lotta kaboomed (saving his phylactery), and stayed enough on the good side of the lizards such that they didn't destroy his phylactery for the free kill. But being able to force a no-lynch so often was definitely not intended. However, there wasn't really a reasonable fix once it got to that point. If I were redoing the game, I would probably give liches a penalty for not having their phylactery in their possession / make them unable to willingly give their phylactery up.

- Vampires using mana fangs on each other / themselves, necromancers using blood to mana. Comboing either spell with heal, or using mana fangs on zombies, were both intended interactions for producing more mana once spells / mana color teaching got around, but they were at much more manageable rates. This stayed busted because I didn't want vampires to take bite damage thematically, but I also thought it would be too strong if mana fangs could be used to identify whether someone was undead.

- A lich being able to use polarized reputation to put 14 votes on themself (in combination with the first issue). By the time I realized this was a problem, it was a sufficiently critical part of lizardmafia strategy that it seemed unfair to mess with it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:40 pm 
- Liches being able to animate massive amounts of dead people at once. I had intended animate dead to be a slower, shittier version of necromantic command in case a necromancer had a lot of trouble identifying undead to target / if the initial zombies died off right away. There definitely should have been a daily limit on that, but it was late game and python was basing a lot of strategy around it by the time I realized this was a problem, so I couldn't change it.

- [[Slau]] activating with as few rumors as it did, such that it could be used to kill almost anyone at any time. In my original outline of the game, there were way fewer rumors than there ended up being. Like, I had originally envisioned each townie starting with around 1 rumor (some of which were role repeats), with the various nonhuman factions having like 5 rumors shared among the faction members. At that point, slau triggered off of n+1 rumors. I increased it to 2*n when rumors became even more prevalent, but I hadn't spent nearly enough time thinking about balance. There was also a lot more overall information transfer happening this game than I expected (probably partially due to mages/wizards), so that aggravated the issue more. In particular, my balance expectation was that people would be wary of rumors (given that I was explicitly tracking which ones people knew), and would just reveal the text of the rumor instead of the keyword code. As a related issue, this resulted in the cult also getting was more mana out of [[know]] than I had anticipated.

- Relatedly, I forgot that posting rumors on forums was a valid strategy (though I don't think it made an actual difference).

Certainly a lot of the broken things this game popped up in the form of the necromancer/lich role. I had expected that necromancer would need so mechanical buffing to compensate for the fact that they started with no allies, they had three undead hunters who actively wanted to kill them, and they had an opposing necromancer who actively wanted to kill them IN PARTICULAR. Like, I'm pretty sure if Jakob weren't hosed, Jakob would have found a way to arrange for python to get kaboomed pretty early in game, or he would have realized that Lotta had the phylactery and killed her instead. Also, I expected that undead hunters would also try more actively to get rid of a public lich (e.g. via smiting).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:40 pm 
- Liches being able to animate massive amounts of dead people at once. I had intended animate dead to be a slower, shittier version of necromantic command in case a necromancer had a lot of trouble identifying undead to target / if the initial zombies died off right away. There definitely should have been a daily limit on that, but it was late game and python was basing a lot of strategy around it by the time I realized this was a problem, so I couldn't change it.

- [[Slau]] activating with as few rumors as it did, such that it could be used to kill almost anyone at any time. In my original outline of the game, there were way fewer rumors than there ended up being. Like, I had originally envisioned each townie starting with around 1 rumor (some of which were role repeats), with the various nonhuman factions having like 5 rumors shared among the faction members. At that point, slau triggered off of n+1 rumors. I increased it to 2*n when rumors became even more prevalent, but I hadn't spent nearly enough time thinking about balance. There was also a lot more overall information transfer happening this game than I expected (probably partially due to mages/wizards), so that aggravated the issue more. In particular, my balance expectation was that people would be wary of rumors (given that I was explicitly tracking which ones people knew), and would just reveal the text of the rumor instead of the keyword code. As a related issue, this resulted in the cult also getting was more mana out of [[know]] than I had anticipated.

- Relatedly, I forgot that posting rumors on forums was a valid strategy (though I don't think it made an actual difference).

Certainly a lot of the broken things this game popped up in the form of the necromancer/lich role. I had expected that necromancer would need so mechanical buffing to compensate for the fact that they started with no allies, they had three undead hunters who actively wanted to kill them, and they had an opposing necromancer who actively wanted to kill them IN PARTICULAR. Like, I'm pretty sure if Jakob weren't hosed, Jakob would have found a way to arrange for python to get kaboomed pretty early in game, or he would have realized that Lotta had the phylactery and killed her instead. Also, I expected that undead hunters would also try more actively to get rid of a public lich (e.g. via smiting).