Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:33 pm 
Adding a spy to a chat where spies have previously been talking, so that they can see message history, is a disallowed form of electronic evidence.
Adding a spymaster to such a chat is okay, but only if all the spies in the chat agree. (This is basically a shortcut for a longer allowed sequence of actions that would give the same effect.)
If you want to have a chat where you can freely add people, use a platform where newly added members can't see any previous messages (like zephyr, for instance).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:40 pm 
Wait, this hasn't ever been true in the past. It has only previously been illegal to add people to chats where dead people have said things. Is this intended to be a large rules change from previous games?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:49 pm 
It wasn't intended to be a large change, but if it is, so be it; I think it should be this way. I apologize for the inconvenience, and forgive any violations that may have happened already (since I apparently shouldn't have expected people to know not to). We can discuss it at wrapup.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:59 pm 
this seems like a good and not-large change to me

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:12 pm 
This actually does seem like the way it usually is? Even in cases where everyone in the chat is alive, if someone in it fucked up and said something they shouldnt, the other people shouldnt be able to prove it by adding everyone to the chat. Having it be possible with everyone's approval doesnt help much since the fuckuper refusing to allow other people to be added is just as sketchy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:17 pm 
The situations where a group would agree on a description of a transcript to be forwarded are identical to the situations where that group could agree on adding someone to a chat. The cases where it's sketchy to disagree are equivalent. I don't think the latter should be disallowed.

I think people should be allowed to be added to chats with everyone's permission.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:19 pm 
aok wrote:
I think people should be allowed to be added to chats with everyone's permission.

==

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:44 pm 
The difference is that you can agree on a made-up transcript after the fact, but to add someone to an existing chat you have to have had the conversation in real time. This is much more difficult to fake: you have to know in advance what you'll want to pretend to have said, and script and act out the conversation.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:46 pm 
That is a good point. The only counterpoint I have is that it's annoying not to allow adding people to chats.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:56 pm 
As I said, I apologize for the inconvenience, and I remind people that spymasters can be added with unanimous spy approval, even though spies can't. However, this rule is not up for debate.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:09 pm 
(I think the debate was over whether it should be a rule in the future, not this game)