Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:26 am 
Everyone has different ideas on which roles should reveal themselves publicly. Post and discuss them here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:43 pm 
Mafia should reveal themselves publicly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:16 pm 
The vanilla townies should reveal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:42 pm 
Vanillas should all reveal themselves immediately. We want a precise count, and we want to know who to elect mayor when we need investigations.

Also, this must be all-or nothing. Getting a count is useless if the vanillas do not all reveal.

Object quickly if you disagree. Otherwise, I will want to lynch anybody who doesn't cooperate.

Also, I am not vanilla.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:10 pm 
Also non-vanilla, and I endorse Andrea's and Dgrazian's strategy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:18 pm 
Read the other thread. Send me a message if you are a vanilla.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:11 am 
I vote everyone reveals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:18 pm 
I also vote everyone reveals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:51 pm 
I disagree, there are several categories of roles we do NOT want to fully reveal right now. Innocent children/iron hearts being the clearest examples. The plan of auto-reveal because everyone knows everything is FALSE, in general ironhearts should NOT tell there role to anyone unless they are about to be lynched. Similarly innocent child doesn't need to tell anyone there role unless they are about to play games with it, it's a rather hard role to publicly fake claim. Gay knights can reasonably just publicly reveal before either 1. there partner is about to be lynched or 2. there partner is killed.

I'm not sure I care about politician, prophet, or sage revealing.
If the prophet revealed it would almost certainly be in the mafias best interest to poison them but I think that might be an acceptable loss for the information gained from town knowing who prophet was immediately.

Politicians I think likely should reveal.

Sage revealing is probably fine and unimportant.

Superhero I'm unsure about because they are a mix of investigator and politician and revealing makes them excellent conscript targets.

Investigator's should probably not reveal they are super valuable and we don't want them dead.

Mad scientist, probably doesn't matter either way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:56 pm 
I also think that it's a horrible idea for lots of people to reveal, and want to know who at ET was pushing this idea the strongest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:59 pm 
I second wanting to know whose idea that was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:29 pm 
Alex, Sam, and I were pushing this the strongest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:32 pm 
I could see all 3 of you advocating for this position. It makes me slightly more suspicious of Alex, though. What was Daniel saying about the idea?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:56 pm 
I realized this piece of discussion never made its way to the forums: Any reveal strategy should not reveal Ironhearts.

Dgrazian's suggestion (which I like) is to reveal Ironheart/Investigator as one merged category, since it makes it hard for Mafia because they really want to kill Investigators and not kill Ironhearts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:07 pm 
The discussion group at ET last night determined that everybody should reveal their roles by the following protocol:

1. At 8:00 p.m. today (Sunday) the Innocent Child uses his/her power to role-reveal to everybody.

2. All players immediately pm the Innocent Child with their roles.

3. At 9:00 p.m., the Innocent Child publicly announces what role everybody is (with the exception that Ironhearts and Investigators are simply announced as Ironheart/Investigator without specifying which.)

The goal of this is to establish a large trust network and to pigeonhole the mafia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:16 pm 
Whether you agree or disagree with this plan, I am confident that the people advocating for it are not pushing a mafia scheme. Also, Alex advocated for it last game as well.

I was very skeptical of the plan at first, but I now believe that it is reasonable (the conflation of ironheart/investigator is important) IF we can get complete or near-complete cooperation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:25 pm 
We can probably get quite a few confirmed innocents out of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:29 pm 
Although this may pigeonhole the vanilla Mafia, I could see this plan making the Conscript even more problematic. Not only will the be trusted as their role, but Mafia will get concrete role information in addition to the usual activity/location/expertise information that they make the conscription decision off of. (But getting three [?] at the expense of one may still be a good deal.)

<disclaimer involving historical overestimation of the Conscript's power />

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:06 pm 
I'm for the simultaneous innocent child reveal plan. I also think that though this allows mafia to know people's roles and be able to set a trap, making one mafia kill a day is already difficult, so two in a day is pretty hard (unless mafia is suicidal or something and doesn't care about being caught). Also, mafia have silver tongues and somehow know info anyways, so at least this puts town on the same page. Also also, I'm going to default vote no lynch to prevent shenanigans (Sorry jfrisch!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:36 pm 
I'd like to suggest that Superheroes not reveal as well? seeing as they can be either ironheart or investigator. (among other things.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:49 pm 
Further regarding the reveal plan, how will we treat those with pseudo-ironheart powers?

The Mad Scientist is already a weak role, but knowing who they are will essentially make their power moot because they would get killed off before there are the requisite number of bodies.

The Superhero will lose any ability to catch Mafia off guard by being an ironheart and, as JFrisch mentioned earlier, would make ideal conscription targets.

My inclination is to clump Superhero with the Politician, but I don't know what to say about the Mad Scientist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:06 pm 
Daniel Grazian wrote:
The discussion group at ET last night determined that everybody should reveal their roles by the following protocol:

1. At 8:00 p.m. today (Sunday) the Innocent Child uses his/her power to role-reveal to everybody.

2. All players immediately pm the Innocent Child with their roles.

3. At 9:00 p.m., the Innocent Child publicly announces what role everybody is (with the exception that Ironhearts and Investigators are simply announced as Ironheart/Investigator without specifying which.)

The goal of this is to establish a large trust network and to pigeonhole the mafia.

Guessing this is not happening tonight...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:10 pm 
I'm convinced that the plan, as is, is rather detrimental, with some fixes it seems viable but the original plan is just not strong enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:24 pm 
Maybe Superhero should reveal as Ironheart/Investigator and Mad Scientist as vanilla?

Also, if we do an innocent-child-reveal, I recommend timing it very carefully. The innocent child needs to get everyone's roles as quickly as possible and reveal them before she/he gets killed. Perhaps everyone should pm God with "when the innocent child reveals, PM them that I am [role]."? Then the innocent child announcement from God will happen right before God gives the IC all our roles, and the IC can post them again really quickly. God, is this plan legal/will you cooperate with it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:36 pm 
Excepting extenuating circumstances you can do your own PMing.

FYI, if you want me to answer questions in a timely manner you should PM me. I get email notifications of PMs but not of all threads.