Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: rules wank
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:57 pm 
I really like the mysteriousness of the whole you-don't-know-who-is-in-game thing, but I really dislike how it interacts with game end.

I think one thing that is important to me about mafia, especially since I play super hard, is that it ends and has a hard cutoff. A thing I realized was important to this is that I can observe game by talking to players out-of-game, and by being safely out of game and hearing all the cool stuff I am missing out on. It's somewhat frustrating that to some extent I will have to wait 6 days for game to end before I'm allowed to do that fully.

I am curious as to how the undead thing will work. I am not sure how many players are undead, I would guess on the order of 4-6. It seems like a cool mechanic, I like virtual-interacts-with-real things. The "let us know if you were thinking of playing since we're concerned about making par" trick was clever and cute.

Post subject: Re: rules wank
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:57 pm 
rules question: what exactly does roleblocking block?
Does it prevent using link actions, like pair investiagates, or just abilities that come from your personal role sheet?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:01 pm 
brunnerj wrote:
rules question: what exactly does roleblocking block?
Does it prevent using link actions, like pair investiagates, or just abilities that come from your personal role sheet?

Just abilities that come from your personal role sheet.

I also appreciated the ingame/outofgame vagueness (well obviously, that's why I included it) but it could have probably been done a lot better. I'm not sure where the line should've been though: having every possible game action fail on an out of game player (including having phonebooks not burned up until you hit a positive) was probably too easy, and there was a lot of implicit encouragement to just spam GMs to determine the playerlist there. Still, there's a little uncertainty about the playerlist left on Day 3*, which is pretty good.

*In particular, whether Van or Linus are playing. Julian seems to be uncertain on both.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:45 pm 
Chaining gay knight pairs was incredibly strong. It basically became eat this potato, so I can vigkill you. Sorry aok and max