Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:19 pm 
grr. I tried to explain to krue how lily's shovel would be our undoing...klaudia probably isn't sufficiently active to have planted, huh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:19 pm 
You did what you could, but location alone made it hard for you to do anything. (Which is the primary problem of being West Campus, tbh.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:22 pm 
I have not received any communication from Klaudia since start of game. I only believe she is active because you told me she has responded to some PMs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:26 pm 
to be fair, by a couple pms, I did mean literally two, consisting of 'it seems like we're screwed...' and 'go ahead...'. so...yeah.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:27 pm 
I'll PM her and encourage her to conscript someone. I kind of want her to conscript Daniel :P
The mafia is pretty screwed regardless, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:54 pm 
*nod* I consider turning the town into a dystopia ruled by a despotic yet bizarrely innocent child to be a form of successful 'destruction'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:02 am 
Can the graveyard confirm that I'm not being stupid? Take a look at AdamYedidia's proposed voting scheme: http://scripts.mit.edu/~arkhipov/mafia/ ... .php?t=865

I think what happens here is that there is a 3 (or 4)-way tie and the tie resolution rules result in no lynch. With no politician powers (or lack thereof) activated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:57 am 
I suppose it's a bit much to ask for life in the Graveyard, but does anyone have an opinion on this? I'm pretty sure I'm right, but it seems unlikely that so many experience (living) players would overlook this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:38 pm 
Welcome, West Campus brother. There is no judgment in the grave.

...Actually that's a lie, I'm pretty sure that all these people do is judge. But that's okay because you're dead now.

Um. Was that supposed to be a link to the most to least sketchy, or was that a mislink? Either way I do not understand how that turns into a four-way tie. Is Klaudia ironheart?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:48 pm 
Current voting strategy results in unresolved 3 way tie as none of the three has ever been voted for
[quote]In the case of a tie, the player from among the tied players who had the most votes against him the previous day is lynched. If this still results in a tie, the player from among those tied players who received the most votes the day before that is lynched, and so on. If this process fails to resolve the tie, nobody is lynched.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:57 pm 
Oh, I see. Right, for some reason I thought that it defaulted to the person in second place. Clearly I have read the rules in great detail, and the living have lost a great opportunity by not having me in this game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:20 pm 
On a similar note, I definitely read those rules multiple times in my role as a member of the most feared Mafia of all time, and was just brushing up on them right now for old time's sake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:41 pm 
In entirely unrelated news, Krue (hitman, hired by Darryl last night) just killed lilychen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:48 pm 
So who's the conscript? (They certainly don't have much need to post about it in the forum themselves...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:50 pm 
It's Austin (other Maseeh guy).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:10 pm 
Quote:
...and maybe was Austin Fathman.

gg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:24 pm 
lilychen wrote:
It's Austin (other Maseeh guy).

Ease of access, I suppose...;-;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:05 am 
Hello everybody

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:15 am 
Game will likely end within a couple of days. Josh and Andrea wanted to investigate Austin, but both had already used their investigations prematurely on ET people who definitely didn't do it (modulo teleportation). Either they'll get another investigator to do it or they'll do it on Day 6. Which should then be the last day of game. Unless Austin gets lucky and they get distracted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:34 am 
Still waiting on SBF's investigation, but the other investigators have investigated people other than Austin. All superheros are politician today for their politician test (which will work on Erin but result in a tie after that).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:25 pm 
Hmm so for the 3-way tie we were under the impression that in the case of a tie all the way down one was chosen at random. But yeah, the rules clearly say that it's a no-lynch in that case. Hopefully one of them reads the rules in the next 9 hours...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:28 pm 
Doesn't seem too likely to me. It was already applied on Day 1 for Josh and it looks like no one noticed.

Update: SBF investigated too, so Austin is in the clear for today. Although aok mentioned to me that by the time you're down to a lot of investigators and only 1 mafia the mafia tends to get caught pretty quickly. Town doesn't realize there is only 1 mafia (jfrisch suspects lizrita and someone else at ET for some reason), but it remains true that there is only 1 mafia.

Austin told me that aok wants him to prophet-smite someone, which clearly isn't optimal for the mafia. So his current plan is to quietly kaboom them and pretend he smited them (successful smites are indistinguishable from mafia kills; see the rules). I guess we'll see how that goes.

He also told me that he's going out of town for the weekend. Assuming the game isn't over, he's going to find someone to take his place in game for the weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:39 pm 
Should be interesting.

Yeah, live-action mafia is brutally difficult for a lone mafia who doesn't live with most of the other players. It's a bit of a problem with the game, to be honest; it's so much easier to play this game when you're surrounded by other players. Fall sophomore year I played this game and there were only 2 players at ET (me and Liz) and that made it a lot harder to be active... And even then, I at least had the advantage that people knew and recognized me at Random.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:47 pm 
Yeah, that's something we should talk about at wrap-up or the traditional unofficial post-wrap-up-wank-session.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:58 pm 
We also had, like, no more than one mafioso active at a time, really...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:03 pm 
Yeah, you guys had it really rough. Also, I got STUPID lucky when I made guesses. Darryl, I randomly guessed between lynching you and two other investigators (davidben and andrealincoln), since there were 4 claimed investigators; I guessed Klaudia out of 5 claimed vanillas when there could only have been 4, since she was the last to claim and from the behavior of the mafia it didn't seem like they had people at Random or ET. But if you'd asked me beforehand what I thought the odds of hitting were on each lynch, I would have said 40% and 30%, respectively.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:06 pm 
Just curious, but someone mentioned something about a godfather role existing once in live mafia's long, illustrious history. What did that person do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:45 pm 
From my experience archive binging, I think they just offered advice to the Mafia in their subforum. In variations of table Mafia the Godfather is sometimes a role of their own, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:40 pm 
Welcome Josh, who was killed in plain sight in Foo with bring out the big guns. Of course, everyone else thinks they witnessed a prophet smiting...

Perhaps Austin will survive for a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:51 pm 
Impressive!