Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mafia Strategyyy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:24 am 

Disclaimer: I don't want it to feel at all like I'm dictating how you have to play mafia, but since I'm the only mafia who's played games before, I wanted to write some things that I've seen in past games.

1. It's important to make a kill every day - town gets a free day of investigations/role uses without this. Getting caught is worse, but imperfect kills are fine.
2. Killing off active players is really important - it's tempting to believe that making the sneakiest kills is the most important thing, and while that's important, killing actives is the most important. Usually fall games in particular have the property where lots of people aren't going to pay attention to game, because they're new players and decide they don't like LAM. People who don't vote, don't investigate, don't catch obvious mafia fuckups, etc. are SO MUCH WORSE for town than people who spend the baseline 30 minutes/day on game. If we can get town into a state where only those townies exist game is often very winnable even if we have like 1-2 mafia/SK: 10 town.
3. Act as townie as possible (duh). But you should think about exactly how. If it's believable that you would just not really pay attention to game, that's usually pretty good. You don't have to give town much help, and maybe not follow their lynch suggestions because you "forgot." At the same time, don't be suspiciously negligent; having to cast an extra town-favored vote or alibi someone here and there doesn't hurt us much. Suspicion hurts us a lot.

Also, here's a strategy post Dgrazian made as mafia last fall game, you should really read it in its entirety.

viewtopic.php?f=429&t=6500

Post subject: Re: Mafia Strategyyy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:04 pm 

4. We should kill players so the remaining living groups/friend groups are really spread out is good for us; no group chats means this hurts town coordination a lot.

Post subject: Re: Mafia Strategyyy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:26 pm 

Is there any plan for a kill today and how can I help?