Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rules Thoughts
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:04 pm 
Idea for a radical change to conspiracy theorist (or possibly a new role altogether): the role keeps a list of some size, and if they get killed by someone on that list, that list gets posted to town square after their death. I think this is pretty interesting. In terms of strength, it is not stronger than a one-time infallible set investigation. However, it is also weaker than that, because:
a. it can only be used after you die
b. the list size would be constrained to significantly smaller than half of game, so it wouldn't be a full bit of info
c. If the list isn't posted, this isn't distinguishable to town as clearing everyone on the list, unless you tell someone your list ahead of time, which is risky if you tell a mafia
d. You have to pick the set before you have info about e.g. alibis, so you can't get as good of a set as you could with an investigation.

So I don't think it is too strong, but it certainly feels exciting enough to not be too weak.

Post subject: Re: Rules Thoughts
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:09 pm 
I am happy with most of the rules changes I implemented. Search Warrant and Immovable Rod haven't come up yet, but seem potentially cool. Ouija Board is a sorely needed modification from spirit search, IMO. Looking at town trying to get a group of 4 together to use one today, it seems like the larger groups for spirit searches are clearly just way too inconvenient. Also, I like that it is weaker early game, but actually still relevant in the late game.

Seer I think is a fantastic role, in that it fills a niche where roles didn't exist previously (e.g. it isn't just another variant on investigations), but it still feels fun and relevant, based on my perception of people who have the role. Conspiracy theorist might be a bit weak, but I guess it probably isn't weaker than roleblocker. Gay knight it's hard to tell, because the only pair this game was mostly inactive. :(

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:53 pm 
I think seer in fact makes the game fun, because you can do a lot with the information and trying to get people to prove themselves "town enough." I claim that conversations are the fun part of mafia :P
Gay knight is a little sadder in that you don't really have anything to do, (other than try to convince people not to kill your partner :).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:57 pm 
So old gay knight (where your partner was guaranteed innocent, modulo conscription) was my absolute favorite role to get, because it meant that you had a trusted townie to plot with. Certainly only a 2x update is a lot weaker, but I still think the 2x update is more than enough to have a built-in buddy, which IMO is pretty cool.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:05 pm 
I like the role idea you posted kseldar.
I would also consider it where the list is told to another player which you also choose when you die, instead of town square.

I think having more roles which have you choose another player to benefit or have you directly work with another player to recieve the benefit of would be interesting for game.

Another random vig-like role idea: At any time, choose a player. When you die, that player gets 1 use of 'bang'. Pretty much strictly weaker than vig, but still interesting.

Search warrant and immovable rod is reasonable; note that search warrant mostly shouldn't catch people for non-immovable rod items because everything else is consumable and the mafia should probably use after receiving.

Seer is probably fairly strong and a fine role. It does force the mafia to be a lot more careful that they can actually construct a plausible story about their actual role usage.