Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:52 pm 
Let's start this game!

Today starts at 6AM. Jinxun and Steve were randomly chosen to receive Medkits. See the stickied list of players for the numbers breakdown of players.

Send votes by Private Message to Alex. Make the subject line: "Day 1 Vote for [Person]". To change your vote, send a PM with subject line "Day 1 Change to [Person] from [Person]."

Last edited by Alex on Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Returning
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:01 am 
Hi everybody,
I'm flying back to MIT from San Diego today and won't be able to make another post until I arrive (plane is supposed to land at 8:30 p.m. so I'll be on campus within an hour and a half of that. Unless of course my flight gets delayed, but I know that never happens this time of year!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:38 am 
11am and nothing has happened yet. Is everyone hiding out in their rooms?

Oh wait, I forgot this was MIT and we don't wake before noon.

Anyone happen to know anything yet, by sheer chance?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:47 am 
Nope, haven't seen anything yet. The only thing interesting was that Alex dropped by and gave me a medkit last night!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:33 pm 
I'm a townsperson, all can I know for now.

Post subject: What to do with medkits?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:28 pm 
We need to decide what to do with the medkits - the mafia knowing which people have them is certainly not the best for us.
Also, do we want to have any people with positions reveal themselves? I haven't thought too much about the game dynamics, especially with the conscript ability.
Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:54 pm 
Given that the special townsfolk keep there abilities even after being conscripted by the mafia, I don't think we should reveal any special roles just yet. If the mafia got someone powerful such as the investigator or vigilante, they would have a very strong advantage. So, let's not reveal special roles just yet.

Since I don't have a special role (just a regular townsperson), I would not be opposed to giving away my med-kit to an important role who needs it more than I do for protection purposes. However, I'm not giving it away unless I'm *sure* you're not mafia! So, if you have some clever way to authenticate and prove to me *without doubt* that you are not mafia and that you have a special role, I would gladly give you my med kit. I have to be *sure* that you're not mafia though, so I'm not giving it to anyone unless I'm positive their not mafia. Private message me if you have an idea.

Also for game fairness, I'll be at Baker a little after 6 PM for dinner if you want to try and kill me / dissipate my medkit =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:19 pm 
It's way too early in the game to reveal anything, even if you're simply a townsperson (since we have no idea where Medkits should be going).

Hey Steve, you say you have a Medket that you'll give away to a non-Mafia person. Since you're a regular townsperson, are you implying that a non-special townsperson role does not need a Medkit, or are you just trying to diffuse it so the Mafia can't get it? Also, at this point, there really isn't any way to "prove" you're not a Mafia, so I'm not quite sure what kind of evidence you're trying to get at... I believe you when you say you're not Mafia (why would you hand off a Medkit to someone you want to kill?) but I just wanted clarification as to why you're handing it off.

Our other Medkit-holder hasn't spoken up yet. Nor has anyone else. Should we just go for no-lynch this round, as is the custom?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:28 pm 
Just confirming that there are no announcements as of 5:30 PM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:34 pm 
@Vivian - yes, it is definitely more important for a special role to hold the medkit than an ordinary townsperson. If you think about it, the special roles are what give the townspeople more of an advantage to win (think about the investigator, for example). So, it would be more of a loss to lose a special role than an ordinary townsperson.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:37 pm 
Also, I don't think we should go no-lynch this round. That gives the mafia an advantage, since the only chance the townspeople have to kill of the mafia is by lynching.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:08 pm 
I'm in Next House the entire day and will probably continue to be in Next House tomorrow too. I didn't get a role I want :( So sad right now.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:12 pm 
^ Sorry, that was me above; I forgot to sign in first before posting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:12 pm 
..but using that logic. Isn't it more dangerous for a special role to own a medkit? Especially since they can be conscripted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:22 pm 
^ exactly. And since Steve has pretty much implied that whoever he gives the Medkit to will be a special role.. I'm not sure how we want to play this out.

For reference, Steven really wanted to be Jesus... not sure if he's lying about not getting the role he wants or telling the truth, but perhaps it'll be important later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:43 pm 
Hi guys!

Sorry I missed the meeting yesterday; I was in Manchester, NH for an awesome robotics thing with high school friends. Anyway, I got back around 4 today and now am paying attention to this.

I haven't met some of you yet, so: Hi! I'm Stephanie. I hope I can recognize you to run away from in the hallways.

-Stephanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:29 pm 
That's a good point about the medkit getting conscripted away from the townsfolk - I didn't think of that. One way to solve that problem however is for the townsfolk not to reveal to the mafia who actually has the medkit when/if I give it away. I could arrange to give it away to someone else who I know needs it more than I do, but do this privately and not on this forum. That way, the mafia wouldn't easily be able to tell who to conscript to get the medkit. And, someone who needs the medkit more than I would have it. I think this is the best way to go - it reduces the chances of the Mafia getting the medkit to essentially the guessing ratio, and we can't do much better than that.

Also, just for clarities sake, lets use Steve L. when talking about me, and Steven M. when talking about Steven Mo. Otherwise things could get confusing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:11 pm 
Forgive my mild paranoia, but Steve L. how do we, the townpeople, know that you aren't mafia and are not using the ploy of a medkit to ascertain our identities?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:18 pm 
Well, I suppose there's no way I can prove to you that I'm a townsfolk. As far as I can think of, there isn't any way anyone can prove anything yet.

By the same logic Nur, how do I know you're not mafia, and trying to get me to not give the medkit to someone who could use it more than I can? =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:22 pm 
Not really.
My ability to prove my status is equivalent to yours. *shrugs
So either way, we're screwed.
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:12 pm 
Hi everyone, didn't realize I don't get emails when there are posts on the forum. We still haven't been notified of any kills yet, so it seems kind of hard to make a decision, I wonder how we should do this? Also, since there is no way to prove our identities and we don't want people revealing special roles in case Steve is Mafia, is there any benefit to giving the Medkit away to anyone right now? It might be better to wait until we get more info, maybe once we know who gets killed this round.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:43 pm 
Yes, like I mentioned before, I definitely think that no special roles should reveal themselves. And since no one can prove to me unambiguously yet that they're not mafia, no one's getting my medkit tonight. I guess that's settled then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:47 pm 
Also, I should mention this: I may be going on an IHOP run tonight, and a few of the people going are also in this game. There is of course then the possibility that one of them is mafia, and try to diffuse my medkit. Especially since they haven't made a kill yet today. Hopefully this won't happen, but everyone should know in case something does happen.

Post subject: I'm back
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:34 pm 
Hi, just got back from San Diego.
Personally I think that going "no lynch" is a good idea if the Mafia don't kill anybody today. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that in this Mafia scenerio killing a random person hurts the townspeople. As for why the Mafia haven't struck yet, I can think of three possible explanations
1. They're being lazy.
2. They're having trouble finding a person to kill such that they won't be implicated.
3. They're waiting until just before midnight so that we won't have time to discuss (or even cast a vote for!) lynching them. Of course we'd have the full day tomorrow to discuss the killing so they would only get a 24 hour respite if they were reckless.

Anyway, like I said above I think we should go for no lynch unless something comes up that makes a particular person seem suspicious. Steve, I know you suggested otherwise, so please tell me if and why my logic is wrong.

As for my starting Monday I'm in a biology laboratory class in 68-074. I live at Simmons (room 252), but I am more likely to be found on 4E of East Campus.

Sorry for the long post. I'm trying to make up from being absent all day.[/b][/i]

Post subject: Addendum
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:35 pm 
Sorry, I forgot to mention that my lab class is 12:30 to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Post subject: Voting
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:40 pm 
I read through the forums of the previous MIT Live Action Mafia games, and it seems that an important part of the civilian strategy was having everybody announce their votes publicly ahead of time. This helps ensure accountability. So I'm voting "no lynch" unless somebody comes up with a good reason otherwise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:55 pm 
I think we should kill someone at random, unless all of you think our chances of figuring out the mafia drastically improve once they kill someone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:15 pm 
It's 11:15 PM and no there are announcements.
Daniel Grazian wrote:
3. They're waiting until just before midnight so that we won't have time to discuss (or even cast a vote for!) lynching them. Of course we'd have the full day tomorrow to discuss the killing so they would only get a 24 hour respite if they were reckless.

Be aware that if an announcement is made within the last 30 minutes of the day, the voting period extends to 12:30 AM to give people a chance to discuss and change their votes. Of course, some people do go to sleep and might miss this extension time.

Post subject: Kill or no kill?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:17 pm 
I don't think we should do that tonight. I'm fine with randomly nominating somebody for tentative execution (if it were done with a random numbers generator and numerous witnesses), but that person should have a chance to defend himself/herself. I don't think there's time for that tonight.

Regardless, though, everybody please announce your intended vote, "no lynch" or otherwise ahead of time. So far, I think I'm the only one who has done so.

Post subject: Extension Rule
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:23 pm 
Does the extension rule apply only to administrative annoucements, or also to announcements by individuals? Also, what happens if a kill is made at 11:59p.m., but it's not announced before midnight?