Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:56 pm 
so if they conscripted some1 yesterday then we should be expecting a kill in the next 6 hours? or maybe they are js very disorganized?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:59 pm 
or could it be that mafia is js waiting and not killing anyone so that we cant get any leads? so eventually we will start to lynch random people so that the civilian to mafia ratio is in their favor? if that's true then my previous suggestion would be a bad idea. but then this is still a lame idea for mafia cuz it's dragging the game for so long. urgg so confusing now that we have inactive mafias. couldnt they js do something?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:37 pm 
After much investigation, I would like to now formally accuse Jingxun as one the mafia for several reasons (some of observations below were from interviews I had with other players whose names shall be remained anonymous until they are comfortable of releasing their names themselves; thanks for all those who provided me your encountering with Jingxun):

(1) In Day 1, a town person X said she was walking out of her door, and saw Jingxun coming from the opposite direction (coming from the direction of Bianca's room actually) in the 5E deep lounge hallway. While Jingxun was talking on the phone, X heard she saying "so they are not gonna vote to kill you tonight..." and as soon as Jingxun saw X, Jingxun turned 180 degrees to the opposite direction and walked away from X. At that very moment, person X also saw Bianca hiding into one of the door thing, trying to avoid person's X sight. If this person feel comfortable, he/she can confirm after this post. Right now, I try to protect that person by not giving out his/her name.

(2) Jingxun was one of the people possessing med kit at the beginning of the game. One of the very good strategy is for the town people to pass the med kit to the vigilante (whose name should be remained anonymously), and most people will agree with me. on this strategy. When I found out who's the vigilante (sorry guys, I won't tell you his/her name on this public forum), I was very thrilled. The first thing I want to do is to ask Jingxun or Steve L. (who possessed the other med kit) to give up their med kit, and I will arrange a safe transportation for the med kit to reach the hand of the vigilante. When I talked to Jingxun to give up the med kit to the vigilante, she looked a little bit annoyed at my request, refusing to hand in the med kit. Furthermore, she told me that she would like to discuss this passing the med-kit matter on this public forum; I told her don't do so, and it's a bad idea. Why would she want to discuss to give up her med kit or not in public?!!! Clearly, she's thinking the mafia's way not the town people's way.

(3) Right after Bianca "failed" to kill Di before midnight in Day 1, Bianca immediately went to Jingxun's room; then both Bianca and Jingxun then went to Di's room and told Di that Bianca was just playing around and not being serious. OK, look closely, Nur (our investigator) has already checked that Bianca indeed killed Spencer. Given that Bianca is a mafia, why would she immediately went to Jingxun's room right after Di told Bianca that mafia could not killed a person in his/her room??? Because when a mafia got confused, he/she tried to find another mafia for clarification. If Bianca and Jingxun did walk out in the hall together towards Di's room, wouldn't Bianca still able to kill Jingxun on the hallway even if Di's no-killing-in-the-room rule still stands true in Bianca's mind? But, she didn't. Bianca was very happy to be with Jingxun, and Jingxun was very happy to hang around with Bianca in Day 1.

(4) There's several evidences that I'm just an innocent town person; there are also many evidences suggesting that I'm good at playing this game and gathering information I need. Everybody who has talked to me seemed to trust me and believe me except Jingxun. Jingxun looked very guilty and cautious whenever she saw me. Think about this logically, if you are a town person, you will definitely want me to be on your side because you know that I will be a great asset to the team. If you are the mafia, you really hate me, of course. Jingxun always have a very guilty look whenever she sees me. She even refused to talk to me in private (hmmm....I wonder why? It's a great opportunity for her to kill me!) knowing that I'm "a really experienced player"; in fact, she's the ONLY person who refused to talk to me in private; this is actually very simply: she's afraid I might be the vigilante and kill her. Well, if Jingxun is a town person and knows that I'm an experienced player who's also innocent, there's no reason at all for her to not talk to me or trust me. She is simply too afraid that I might trick her into being killed by the vigilante I set up to trap her.

(5) She's didn't contribute that much to the game anyways. She only posted it twice on the discussion forum, and none of her posts really contributes to our discussion. That's exactly what mafia do! Mafia doesn't really contribute much to the discussion because they need to spend time discussing how to kill off people instead of how not to be killed (this statement also supports my observation in statement 2 above).

(6) Alex stated in Day 2 discussion that "I was under the impression that Bianca did not actually tap Jingxun on the shoulder, so for consistency let's say that this is what happened"; this means, whether Bianca did tap on Jingxun's shoulder or not, we know that Alex thinks that in order for the game to run smoothly, Jingxun should not have been tapped because than the mafia Bianca would just kill her fellow Mafia Jingxun.

(7) I asked more people to go to her room to beg for the med kit. I think she finally felt somewhat guilty and realizes that people will start suspecting her if she didn't give up the med kit. As a result, she finally gave up the med kit in Day 2 to a person (whose name shall remained anonymous) who has successfully passed the med kit to the vigilante (whose name will not be revealed here either).

(8 Steve L (who also posses(ed) the second med kit) was informed by me that the med kit was given out by Jingxun. Steve L didn't believe me at first, so he came to Jingxun's room past midnight in Day 3. At this time, we (the town people) have successfully got the med kit from Jingxun. Steve knocked on her door and asked whom did she give the med kit up to? She immediately and awkwardly said that she still had the med kit. I was kind of annoyed that she lied, so I opened my door (right across her door) and ask Jingxun to show Steve her med kit if she still had it. Well, she couldn't because she didn't have it. Hahaha...then she made a change of her sentence: "I don't have the med kit." Steven L was like: "But why did you say you still have the med kit when I first asked you the question?" Jingxun made up an excuse (which I don't remember) which is very unreasonable, so I don't really believe her. See, if you really are a town person, you should be very happy that you gave up your med kit to help the vigilante saves his/her life instead of your own. Jingxun's behavior is very much like what mafia will do.

As a result, I vote to lynch Jingxun tonight. I understand that all the evidences I presented still cannot 100% (but I'm at least 60% confident now) be sure that she is the mafia, but I will rather kill her (who's now somewhat guilty) than lynch no one tonight.

PS: do come to play normal mafia game with many awesome people tonight at 10pm in Next House's TFL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:39 pm 
Just got out of 7.391. I'm going to Baker dining right now. I'll post more after I eat!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:30 pm 
I'm actually the "X person" and I'm confirming what Steven has said, except it didn't happen on day 1 but Day 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:45 pm 
In response to Steven's post, playing devil's advocate

(5) This definitely could be valid, but I used to think that mafia posted actively since they are checking the forum more actively. i.e. Last IAP, when I was mafia, I carefully posted in the townspeople discussion many times, trying to convince people to lynch innocent townspeople. (OTOH I also had to keep up my active-posting-style from the previous game, where I was an innocent townsperson.) So this is debatable. (FYI: I'm not as active this game because I am much busier and unfortunately farther away from the action. Last IAP I was in Next a lot because I was dating Alex. Now, I'm living in EC and haven't even been to Next yet. Of course, I'm happy to meet with anyone who really wants, though.)

(6) I'm VERY sure that this is a completely neutral act. My authority here comes from knowing Alex very well, helping make the rules for this game, and hearing (when the games were over) about every moderator dilemma Alex went through. Whether Bianca or Jingxun are mafia would not have changed Alex's decision here.

Overall, I think I agree with Steven, though. Hopefully he hasn't been conscripted.

I can't come to actual mafia tonight because I will be making dessert on EC 4th east for a friend's birthday :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:02 pm 
Nobody touched my shoulder yet tonight, so I'm not conscripted yet at the point I wrote this message.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:02 pm 
4) I feel like the more convinced (publicly) we are that steven's innocent, the less reason the mafia has to keep him alive--be careful steven!

At first I actually thought that Jingxun had been conscripted, although that would make very little sense in day 1. I think not wanting to give up the medkit doesn't necessarily mean that she's mafia--maybe she just wants to protect herself. Also, she might not have wanted to tell Steven whom she gave the medkit to because that was supposed to be a secret right?

I think what's the most convincing about Jingxun being mafia is still what happened with Bianca on day 1. Unless something interesting happens in the next four hours to convince me otherwise I'm probably going to defer to Steven (who has obviously thought a lot about this) and vote for Jingxun.

On another note, if no one is killed by 10 PM it'd be interesting to see who shows up for the normal mafia game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:12 pm 
Steven wrote:
Nobody touched my shoulder yet tonight, so I'm not conscripted yet at the point I wrote this message.

Oh noes, but what about yesterday? Or this morning? :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:14 pm 
In response to the medkit comment, Steven told her that he was passing it the Vigilante. Assuming that we all trust Steven (which seems to be a large consensus), then it is in the townspeople's favour to give it up to who needs it.

Quote:
@vivian: i dun think dan is mafia either. also i felt pretty safe eating dinner w dan and jason last night cuz even if one of them were mafia and kills, the remaining innocent person can make a clear accusation.

There is, of course, the option that they are both Mafia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:16 pm 
I have not been touched on the shoulder yet by anybody since we started this game in Day 1. Don't worry me being conscripted. A person I trusted had established a channel, and once I got conscripted I will not longer communicate with him/her through this channel. At that point, this person will step out and proclaim that I'm conscripted. Alex has asked me how I will do this, and after I told him how, Alex's fine with my strategy which does not violate against the game's rules.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:17 pm 
Er, sorry, hit enter before I could fully explain myself. Anyways, it was announced on the forum where everyone could see that you and Jason and Daniel went to dinner at Baker together. So if you were killed, we would know one of them was Mafia. Then, if one spoke up, the other would be auto-lynched. And if not, and neither spoke, we would know they were both Mafia.

It's a stretch, but let's not rule out that possibility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:18 pm 
Steven wrote:
A person I trusted had established a channel, and once I got conscripted I will not longer communicate with him/her through this channel.

I didn't approve this part. Presumably as soon as you are conscripted, you will want people to not find out the you're Mafia, and you'll communicate through the channel normally so as not to raise suspicion, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:19 pm 
Unless a kill happens anytime soon, I am also voting for Jingxun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:20 pm 
@ Alex, sure, I think. However, Alex did approve my method of telling a person I'm conscripted before I'm actually conscripted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:21 pm 
Steven wrote:
I have not been touched on the shoulder yet by anybody since we started this game in Day 1. Don't worry me being conscripted. A person I trusted had established a channel, and once I got conscripted I will not longer communicate with him/her through this channel. At that point, this person will step out and proclaim that I'm conscripted. Alex has asked me how I will do this, and after I told him how, Alex's fine with my strategy which does not violate against the game's rules.

omg i'm so out-of-game interested! i must know when this is over

i may leave my computer for quite a while now, so i'm setting my vote to Jingxun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:39 pm 
I trust Steven. I don't think I've met with him in person yet, but most everybody seems to trust him, and he would be doing an unbelievable acting job if he were mafia. I'm voting for Jingxun.

And I'll be at the table mafia game tonight. I'm looking forward to meeting and discussing matters with some of the participants in this game who I haven't met yet (besides of course playing table mafia!)

I have also been talking with various people over the past couple days and have been getting a pretty good idea of who I trust and who I suspect.

See you tonight!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:41 pm 
Well I was walking back with Jingxun from taekwondo on Monday night for a good five minutes. There was nobody else around except for a person who isn't participating in the game, so it would have been a great opportunity for her to kill me. Since the mafia had yet to make a kill, I think that if Jingxun really was mafia, she would have done it.

Steven: She might just be super paranoid....like I was when you guys knocked on my door. She seems to be kind of busy, since she's taking a class and also doing a UROP.

But since you guys want to vote off all the silent people anyways, then I guess she would be a good candidate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:11 pm 
@ kluo (Katherine): your argument is very weak because reliable sources (from my interviewing with other people) told me that Jingxun was together with several other players alone, yet she didn't make any move. In fact, she could have killed me several times together given that we live in the same hallway, and my room. However, she hasn't because she's afraid it will be very obvious is she who did it given that she already leaked out so many alarms (my arguments items 1-8 above). This is just her personality, I guess.

Also, kluo, did you know that this is your first post ever on the discussion forum, yet this first post is about defending a potential mafia? If you don't care about this game at all (just as what you told us yesterday night, and the fact that you never discussed anything on this forum), why suddenly become so defensive for Jingxun? I remember that yesterday night when we (four people) knocked on your door, you were so afraid to even talk to me when you heard my voice outside; why? People have been showing strong believe in me being an innocent town person, why are you so sensitive to me? We need to sit down and talk sometime to figure things out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:14 pm 
I'm sorry, kluo; this was your third post in the game, but still, you have always been playing a very silent character, but you suddenly jumped to be an active person for the game. This is not normal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:25 pm 
I was just telling you what I thought. If she was mafia, she would've killed, because otherwise what's the point of being a mafia? Do nothing and hope nobody kills you? Since you've already said that she doesn't act even when she's alone with people, then it's even more clear that she's not mafia. Your argument is lacking and you're assuming more than you should. Besides, you're obviously the person that she most fears, so why aren't you gone?

AND HOLD YOUR HORSES WITH THE ACCUSATIONS. YOU'RE the one who knocks on my door with THREE OTHER PEOPLE at 12:20 last night to tell me that you want to lynch me because I'M NOT PARTICIPATIIINNNG. Well here I am. I'm talking. Geez.

I'm just sensitive because the mafia hasn't made a move yet. It would make sense for them to attack soon since there hasn't been a kill for a long while. And when somebody knocks on my unlocked door in the middle of the night, what else would I think? My floor is a ghost town, and there's nobody who plays the game here besides myself. And when there's a chorus of jumbled voices outside my door giggling and telling me to come out, it's just super suspicious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:37 pm 
Since mafia can only kill one person per day, according to your argument (which states that if two players are alone, and each one didn't touch the other's shoulder, then he/she is not a mafia), your argument can prove that EVERYBODY is NOT a mafia; you see my point? Because I'm 100% confident at some point during the game, at least two players (from all the player list) will be alone together while nothing happen. Does that prove that the person who didn't touch you is NOT a mafia? No. It simply proves that you are not killed; you cannot prove someone is NOT a mafia just because you walk with him/her, and that he/she didn't touch and bang you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:56 pm 
about the "kluo and jingxun were together alone" argument:
it doesn't mean that jingxun isn't mafia, it could've been that she's already killed, or conscripted a person that day. Or she thinks it's ez for ppl to suspect her because people might know that she goes to TKD with kluo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:26 pm 
ok, looks like mafia hasnt made any kill yet, so if they dont kill anyone in next one and half hour, then it's a another peaceful day?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:39 pm 
uhhjj: I know that the argument is far from perfect, but I think it's the most plausible. When is it a prime time for the mafia to kill? When they secretly join together against a potential victim and risk having all their identities revealed? In addition, I already know that she definitely didn't kill anybody that day, and Steven has said that she has had numerous instances in which she has met privately with a number of people and not killed them. Would the mafia really pass up all these opportunities?

Steven: She obviously dislikes you the most, and you're the one of the most outspoken people. So why hasn't she conscripted you or killed you? If I were her, I definitely would conscript you now, especially with how much you've ended up targeting her.

However, unless she steps up and defends herself soon, I'm going to vote for her, because it's kind of meaningless to stand up for a silent player. I'm also pretty sure that Steven, Nur, Hilary, and Vivian aren't the mafia, since they were the people who visited me last night...

Sorry if I seemed bitchy in my previous post. I get my buttons pushed easily/unintentionally... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:42 pm 
sadly yes. another peaceful day. there is still the possibility of conscription or the hiring of a hitman though.

I was a part of the discussions at Next last night and I agree with what's been said in that Jingxen does seem to have been acting suspiciously so my vote will go to her.

I'm glad more of the quieter players are posting on the forum - it's good to get a new influx of voices.

@ Daniel and Steven - whoa I took 7.391 last year! Awesome class! Tell Mandana hi!

I don't think I'm going to make mafia tonight :/ I just got back, my class ran extra long. Have fun though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:45 pm 
Quote:
there is still the possibility of conscription or the hiring of a hitman though.

Or hope rather than possibility. :-P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:54 pm 
Katherine, there is of course the possibility that both you and her are the Mafia. We can't rule that out ;)

Sorry I didn't make the game, been waaaaaaaay too busy today. As I said, weekends are definitely the best for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:02 pm 
@Steven M:

You make it sound as if at least you and another person know who the vigilante is. I'm pretty worried about a mafia finding out who the vigilante is, because it is almost certainly the best person to conscript. If possible, try to keep the number of people who know the vigilante low (ie, I think 3 people is already too many).

@kluo:

Sorry your floor is lonely!

On lynching Jingxun:
I think at this point there are a fair number of people in the game that I trust, and Jingxun isn't one of them, so I'm willing to lynch her on other peoples' suspicions. That said, I don't fully understand Steven's arguments. I'll vote for her though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:09 pm 
echoing the comments of others as well as the discussion from last night. It is most logical at this time to lynch Jingxun.
Sorry, I didn't make the game tonight. I fell asleep and consequently am going back to bed.