Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:16 am 
On Day 5, Nur was killed and Xuan was lynched, having gotten more votes than Irene. Discuss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:23 am 
Finally Action!! And yay for fraudster!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:51 am 
I assume that Fraudster is someone who is probably also in favour of Irene or strongly believes Irene is the Mafia.

I changed my vote to Irene literally like, seconds before midnight. Sorry I didn't post it. Anyways, I admit I suspect Katherine and Irene to be Mafia together, but the fact that Katherine voted for Irene is confusing. Currently, I suspect Irene more than Katherine, but we'll see what happens today.

Yaaaaay, Mafia, good job with making something happen! Let's hope the game continues on. You can kill me today anytime (see signature!)

Post subject: Katherine: Please Post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:15 am 
Since I am not Mafia, the only person who seems to remain a possibility is Katherine. (Since I know Nur better than anyone playing, if I were the Mafia, I probably would not have killed her.) Katherine -- where have you been?

Irene

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:36 am 
Fraudster is either Stephanie or Katherine because I know that Vivian and Joy are definitely not the fraudster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:00 am 
Well whoever the fraudster was managed to change his/her vote to Irene minutes before midnight... does that mean he/she was in Di's room with us? Or it might have been Stephanie/ whoever was involved in that conversation. But then again it's not really quite that important to figure out who the fraudster right?

I still think Irene is mafia. The timing adds up: the minute she starts to participate again, people start dying (plus other suspicious things that Steven can probably sum up better than me)... Katherine might have voted for Irene knowing that not enough people would switch their votes in time for Irene to be lynched.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:23 am 
Stephanie, would you please post your reason of lynching Irene again here in the Day 6 discussion? You came to discuss your reasoning with us too late in the night, so not everybody can come to a solid conclusion to agree with you; therefore, not everybody voted for Irene. Stephanie, please elaborate your reasons again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:57 pm 
Yeah, stephanie, I'd like to hear your reasoning again. I don't know much about Irene. met her for the first time last night and never had any conversation or discussion with her to either trust her or suspect her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:02 pm 
Also Mafia, if you're planning to kill me, today and early tomorrow are the last time's you'll be able to do so because I'll be leaving for LeaderShape on Friday!

Post subject: I Am Completely Innocent
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:16 pm 
I am really, really not the mafia.

I have been totally swamped this IAP. I have a huge interview on Friday for grad. school that includes a 45-minute presentation that I still have not finished. I am also taking the math lecture series, trying to make progress in my UROP, and helping run AEPhi's informal recruitment. I was not planning to be very active, but a bunch of people came by my room earlier this week when I was in the middle of preparing my presentation for Friday, asked me to help, and then started talking about lynching people who had been quiet. I really did want to help, and I did not want to get lynched just because I was busy, so I got involved.

Your reasoning does not make sense. I am not the only one who knows Nur, and I hardly ever hang out in McCormick. I definitely have not had time to do anything complicated like hiring a hitman. In addition, Nur seemed to trust me in our group discussions, so if I were the Mafia, I would not have been so stupid as to kill her. I promise that I had nothing to do with killing her. I am guessing that the killer was probably someone who expected her to investigate him/her during the next killing, but I am really not sure who that would be.

I am busy enough that, if you lynch me, I would not have any hard feelings, but you would be lynching someone who is completely innocent.

I need to go back to de-bugging UROP code. I will be in my room tonight finishing my presentation, attempting to make my hair look nice for my interview tomorrow, and finally getting some sleep. Between now and 6:30pm, I will be working on my UROP in Stata. I may make a quick stop at the ATM or La Verde's to take care of some things for my trip and a quick stop at Baker dining for dinner.

Irene

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:19 pm 
Hey sorry just woke up. Long post, so it's has section titles now.

Intro

First, I guess this might not have been clear, I'm not convinced that Irene is mafia, but she was on my "suspicious" list (I'll say why in a moment). We had all already agreed that it was better to lynch someone than no one, and the only other lynch choice that people were talking about was Xuan.

Why we should not have voted off Xuan

I think that it is/was a complete waste to lynch Xuan, BECAUSE she is inactive. Either she is an inactive townsperson, which counts towards us in numbers, or she is an inactive mafia, which also helps us because she won't kill us. So either way, it would have been best to lynch someone else. Irene happened to be the only other choice.

I presented this logic, in Di's room(?I think?) to Steven, and a whole bunch of other people (Di, Yi, Katherine, Joy, ?). I think it's most interesting how Steven responded. He adamantly defended lynching Xuan, saying that if she didn't want to be active, we should vote her off. He told me that I was "using logical reasoning, but [he was using] emotional reasoning, in the spirit of the game". After we pointed out how unlogical this sounded, he very quickly changed and said, 'Ok let's all vote for Irene, I've thought she was suspicious from the beginning', and started getting other people to vote for Irene. [I left after this to cast my vote. This happened between 11:30-11:53ish yesterday.] Interestingly, Steven did not vote for Irene after this.

Please, can other people tell their versions of this story, too? I promise I've told this story, quotes included, as well as I remember.

Why I thought Irene was suspicious

Whenever I meet anyone in this game, I directly ask them if they are mafia. Everyone except Irene said "no, I'm not the mafia". Irene said "Oh come on, give me a break" and changed the subject slightly. Later in the conversation, I requestioned her, and she finally said "no, I'm not the mafia" but then immediately left. [Someone else witnessed this besides Alex and my HMC friend. You were female and Asian and playing mafia, and I'm sorry I don't remember who you were.]

Remember her weak argument:
Quote:
You know me. I would never kill anyone.

This kind of exudes Irene's personality, and I think she tries to never lie, also. So, it's even more suspicious that she did not immediately say that she's not mafia.

Other notes

PS - It's possible the Fraudster didn't know which to vote for and voted once for Irene and once for Xuan. I think someone did this last year.

PPS - Sorry mafia I have no clue what my schedule is today. I was gonna go rock climbing in Boston but my hand/wrist hurts so I'm not going. I have a pset to do at some point. EC is probably the best bet for finding me. Also, I'm disappointed that you didn't kill me in the shower yesterday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:01 pm 
Steven or Hillary, were either of you able to get any more information about the hitman yesterday?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:02 pm 
Also, I will be at Baker Dining again at 5:30.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:22 pm 
Sorry for seeming unsure of myself. I have a p-set that I need to finish by 6:45am tomorrow, when I leave to take the 7:20am train to New York for my interview, and I am not coming back until around 9pm on Saturday. I think that I came out to see if Alex might be able to help me, and I was pre-occupied about that.

It does not seem like there is any good reason to think that anyone is the Mafia. Would the Mafia please, please kill someone to keep the game going? I might be flyering in the student center at a little after 6 for my UROP advisor's spring class. You could kill me there, and no one will have any idea who you are. Please take me up on this... I really want something to happen before I leave town for the weekend.

Irene

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:46 pm 
@ Stephanie: you have your reasoning of lynching Irene, but it's not as strong and solid as the reasons I proposed when I first nominated to lynch Jingxun. Please gather more information. Xuan is already dead, so we should move on and focusing on whom to be nominated to be lynched tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:20 pm 
Stephanie also said something about how Irene knew this girl at McCormick who fit the description of the hitman.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:42 pm 
We all go to MIT, so we all know lots of short, Asian girls. That was the description of the hitman, right? Your reasoning is completely ridiculous. I had no idea what was going on. Truly, I did not. I was just as shocked as everyone else when Nur was killed.

The fact that Stephanie and Katie are ganging up on me makes me wonder if 1 of them is the Mafia and the other has been conscripted. However, please do not lynch either of them at this point because I have no evidence other than this suspicious activity.

Back to work!

Irene

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:10 pm 
Stephanie hadn't read the forum post when she told us this. She suspected Irene because she knew that Irene had some strong connections to people close to Nur at McCormick, so it would be easy for her to hire a hitman. Since Irene is so busy, it might explain the murder drought and why a hitman was used instead of direct contact.

Who's Katie?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:52 pm 
Yeah, I don't know who Katie is either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:10 pm 
irene probably meant katherine lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:42 pm 
I meant Katherine. Please stop ganging up on me. I really had nothing to do with the killing of Nur. HONESTLY. A lot of people have been busy. A lot of people know people in McCormick. And I can tell you that I have not hung out with anyone in McCormick since I got back from December break. I promise. You would be making a big mistake by lynching something without good reason. The fewer innocent people are around, the more the Mafia can do.

Stephanie mentioned to me in the hall that Ritu might have been the hitman because she played last year. I did not played last year, and I do not know Ritu very well. The impression of her that I had is that this is totally not her thing, so I was really surprised when Stephanie made the suggestion. Does anyone know who does know Ritu well enough to have her contact information or to have her last name (I do not know it)?

Irene

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:09 pm 
I don't know Ritu, but 100% reliable sources told me that Ritu (a Course-7 senior) is currently doing an internship and traveling in Italy. Therefore, Ritu is currently not at MIT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:15 pm 
It wasn't Rutu, I saw her today and she was genuinely surprised that Nur had been killed. Also, the girl seen as killing Nur was most definitely asian.

@Steven, I'm a little unclear on how talking to a few of your friends who happen to live in McCormick aren't playing the game tells you that it was for sure done by a hitman?

Honestly, I was a little sketched out reading Stephanie's post. Because I was thinking, What if the mafia actually is what we consider to be a critical part of the townspeople clan and is manipulating us to kill off other townspeople?

Just food for thought. I haven't decided who I'm voting for yet...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:17 pm 
aha.. disregard Rutu comment thanks for noting that Ritu is a course 7 senior....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:29 pm 
Are we talking about Ritu or Rutu? Because Irene mentioned the name Ritu with an "i" while Hilary mentioned the name Rutu with an "u."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:32 pm 
I misunderstood Irene's Ritu as a misspelling of Rutu as she was mentioned yesterday. But are you going to answer my question before midnight Steven?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:38 pm 
Stephanie said
Quote:
Interestingly, Steven did not vote for Irene after this.

I just want to clarify that Stephanie's argument didn't satisfy any of the people she met in the last 10 minutes of Day 5. In fact, Stephanie was very pushing to ask her vote for Irene with very aggressive manner. See, Nur was killed in 8pm, yet Stephanie didn't start telling people about her evidence until almost midnight deadline. If Stephanie tried to inform us this news before 11:30pm, people will have time to argue, vote, and decide on their own. Stephanie was totally playing the Mao card game last night and even asked me to play with her with I was so into investigating who killed Nur. Really! Before 10pm or so, Stephanie was so into Mao game and didn't even bother to look into things. I have no idea why suddenly after 11pm, she became so aggressive and wanting us to vote for Irene when during 8pm when Nur was killed, she's still very chilled and enjoying playing the Mao card game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:40 pm 
Hillary asked
Quote:
@Steven, I'm a little unclear on how talking to a few of your friends who happen to live in McCormick aren't playing the game tells you that it was for sure done by a hitman?

Sorry, this information is best to kept private from this public forum. It's a really bad idea for the mafia to know this. If you meet me in person, I can show you some evidences I got.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:41 pm 
well...steven did tell us to change our votes but there was very little time and a lot of us needed to share 2 laptops...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:43 pm 
It's still our best interest to vote off a person today even if we have no clue. If no other person is suggested, I will still go with Stephanie's initial suggestion to vote to lynch Irene, the most suspicious one even though we had no strong of an evidence as our evidences for lynching Bianca and Jingxun.

I will therefore cast my vote for Irene tonight.