Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Feels about game
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:34 pm 
One thing I noticed that mafia did this game was conscript late. Although I used to think that saving conscription was a good idea, but I now think that it's generally good for mafia to conscript early, ESPECIALLY if mafia lacks a strong, active player (although Isaac was godfather, I strongly believe that role should give general advice / answer questions, not lead/coordinate).

I also think that not using benevolence was actually a good move, because genies actually turned out to be confirmable, in the context of a known kill (like Sam -> Sam)

I think that the two main things that caught mafia were:
1. Excellent early play from townies. Lisa, Victor, and Sam were caught, imo, not from particularly bad play, but from great play from town. Sam in particular wouldn't have been caught if it weren't for Dgrazian being, well, Dgrazian.
2. Making obvious kills. The number one thing mafia should have done was make kills they wouldn't be investigated early for. This caught Alex, Michikyo, Lilly (although Lilly's was partially the bad luck of there being a near-witness), and Pesto. Previous games that mafia won involved such cleverness as having people from West Campus dorms make kills in Random Hall at like 4 am.

Also, Ben, I think you did a fine job as mafia. :) I know more than most how much of a giant timesuck being mafia can be...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:46 am 
Justin wrote:
Town kind of stupidly ignored the possibility of don still being alive and nobody I know of was particularly suspicious of you. I guess I should have pushed harder on the lie we caught you in surrounding liz's death but I figured we'd catch you eventually if it was you and MTP was used (didn't really consider don =/).

Yeah, I'm probably partly responsible for the assumption that lzahray was don, since I posted the "I gave ksedlar a microphone" thing and didn't bother to check with Haley whether she'd given it to someone else.

Er, rather, I did PM Haley, but the subject was "IC network proxy" or something and I only mentioned the microphone offhand. I also asked Miranda Gavrin what I should do about the microphone information, and she said PM AustinFathman. When I got the negative reply from Austin back I just went ahead and posted about it, and took lilychen's conclusion for granted, which explains messes I made like this.

To prevent something like this in the future, it would be good for town to organize a sort of fact-confirming mechanism, perhaps on the spreadsheet, where when someone makes an unknowable claim ("I think X was don," "this was probably a frame," "I claim cynic," "I think MTP was used twice," etc.), we can track who made it, what their reasoning was, and how much confirmation we have. This would help prevent awkward and unfortunate situations like this where we go "Oh X can't have used mafia power P because previous discussion shows P has already been used up," where "previous discussion" turns out to be claims by X :P
It would also help keep alive the advice of the recently departed... ahem, no townies AFAIK have read "Suspicions for the future" since my death (the jump in views is probably due only to my feverish refreshing hoping to see someone bump it up).

As for benlin, I guess it was an intuitive sense about the way he carefreely posted his "oh yeah you should probably investigate me I guess" thing that gave me an initial tip-off (I was planning on investigating him if no one did before I got my powers from a genie), and hearing the two negative investigation results on him at the same time (I was with jessk/miles/anpere at the time the mods responded to investigations on Friday) had some weird effect on me that made me suspect something was wrong. But I'd been wrong with such intuitive suspicions before (e.g. anpere with the aradhana-michikyo episode, and ltchin after she freaked out at my message), though I'd also been right (4 counts on ltchin before the message; abergal's fakeness) so I didn't push it too hard after he denied it. I also (the other problem in this case) mistook the three-kill rule for don as a three-day rule (like for rogues), so I thought of and dismissed the don possibility pretty quickly on my last day, leading me to propose a double-mtp conjecture which benlin was able to shoot down somewhat convincingly.

With the existence of the don, negative investigation results should no longer settle the matter if a player has bad alibis repeatedly, even if they admit freely to those bad alibis. Which is why ermain's decision was quite good.

BTW I have some cool (imho) role ideas that I will wait until the game ends before explaining ;)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:06 pm 
I actually did have the microphone on me when I died. :D Lzahray just immediately kaboomed me after she gave it back though.

I was also considering giving you the same full information I gave Haley, but I thought that would be redundant (I figured Haley would live sufficiently long after I died), and I didn't want to give information in more directions than necessary to preserve it after my death.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:24 pm 
oh, right, my list was so shitty. I made one for day 2 and then proceeded to not update it until day 10ish when I removed one too many people and took ben off. xD best conspiracy theorist 2014

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:12 pm 
Ok Frevan should search "vickiew" as keyword instead of author and find that she's on my trust list. Otherwise I'm going to be very, very annoyed with him (and the rest of town if they don't do the research either).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:45 pm 
Ok now they're just accusing arbitrary inactives, which I guess is the best thing they can do, but this is a point the game shouldn't have to get to. I suppose they don't have too much reason to trust me on vickiew even if they actually searched thoroughly and found my posts mentioning her, but I REALLY hope they don't try killing jingyizz next because she's actually been helpful in the game (mostly to me and jakob), just not visibly on the forums.

Mods, do you want to just officially ask mafia if they want to concede? Town is silly, but letting this drag on would just increase the silliness.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:50 pm 
I hope the remaining mafias make some play, tsims hasn't killed anyone yet :/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:53 pm 
Lol town has 2 prophets left but they're both incredibly inactive. They should actually just go do something before they get killed.

The desperados though can probably wait until more kills happen before activating (hopefully they don't all go investigate the benlin kills over again, that would be incredibly silly)

Lol I really like anpere's post though
anpere wrote:
brilliant plan, let's lynch all the good players.
in no time town will be a graveyard and mafia will win from town inactivity.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:39 pm 
Quote:
I was playing pooll= with frevan on the second floor and regirock just killed Frevan!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
She used a kaboom!

Even if Taylor killed her (with a kaboom), this is still a bad move. One of the following:

1. Regirock posts in the forums, disputing this -> they both (cstubbe, regirock) get lynched.
2. No regirock posts -> regirock gets lynched, game doesn't end. Town knows that either this was a mistake or regirock was recently conscripted. Town thinks [who would have conscripted regirock?] and decides to lynch cstubbe.
3. Nobody realizes what's going on. Repeat for 2 weeks. Graveyard cringes in horror.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:14 pm 
jakob wrote:
Town thinks [who would have conscripted regirock?] and decides to lynch cstubbe.

Why would town think cstubbe conscripted regirock and then threw him under the bus?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:21 pm 
So if things had gone as planned, town would probably conclude that regirock must be rogue. As is ... mafia had the bad luck of hitting a conspiracy theorist.

cstubbe had to kill Frevan after tsims tried with a 'Bang'. So cstubbe shows up guilty and regirock isn't framed.

The one good thing is that there aren't any investigators at Simmons. So regirock probably gets lynched today, and cstubbe tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:25 pm 
Oh, they're working together to make kills... that's pretty good! If they were playing like this since the beginning of the game, I think they would have done much better!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:53 pm 
so frevan suspected tsims? that's interesting. were both of them there at the same time, or did frevan just not post? also can cstubbe even kaboom as a rogue?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:58 pm 
Both of them were there at the same time. Frevan didn't have cstubbe on his list because she (mostly) convinced him that she was a prophet.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:10 pm 
Frevan also sent me and presumably other townies a message suspecting cstubbe, so I guess it makes sense to allow kills by cstubbe to catch her.... I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:13 pm 
If mafia doesn't make a kill tomorrow, there will be a publicly revealed innocent!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:16 pm 
No worries. mafia hired a hitman for today.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:19 pm 
Who did they hire?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:42 pm 
Oh man, I just realized I won't be able to follow the mafia's planning anymore, because there's only one...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:10 pm 
Nah, she should still post a 'diary' in the mafia den. I did that when I was a 'last mafia' :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:49 pm 
I asked Taylor to keep a diary with his plans so ghosts cab watch. He said "lol plans".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:01 am 
I know tsims hired a hitman in Random to try and make waves over there.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:13 am 
Lol I think everyone left in Random is a conspiracy theorist or something, so they can't protect against hitmans :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:12 am 
Also, mafia probably could have reasonably guessed that dininno is a conspiracy theorist, given that he is still alive, and given that superheroes are more likely to be investigators.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:20 pm 
Well, the day ltchin tried to kill him was the day after achester killed qql, so cynic is also a reasonable guess.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:52 pm 
Ah, you're right, cynic would also be reasonable.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:41 pm 
Kinda glad its ending now. Woulda been pretty boring to see this play out much longer I think.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:42 pm 
Yeah. I was starting to look forward to wrapup more than any game developments.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:49 pm 
Hmm so in big games, early game tends to be a large number of times as exciting as late game. Is there some way to sustain early game excitement throughout the game? Maybe just make games end after the excitement is gone, like have end conditions like mafia:town ratio drops below x?

In this game, for instance, town made almost all good lynches (either mafia-aligned or strongly implicated), and mafia made mostly high-profile kills, so very quickly it was down to a few less-active mafia and a large horde of mostly-inactive townies. By that time it's hard for interesting things to happen.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:02 pm 
Townie strategy. Be sketchy enough not to get conscripted, but not too sketchy to get lynched :)
Unless you are desperado, don't be sketchy, and activate when you feel mafia are about to use their conscription.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next