Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:50 am 
I wasn't going to post now that game is over, but the attitude in the graveyard gives me teh feels. Making threads with names like "put your stupid town angst here" is reeeeeeal easy when you already have the answer sheet, because of course YOU would have done better if you were alive. Be civil to people who are doing their best. The nastiness in here toward townies who reached the wrong conclusion with incomplete information, not to mention ad hominems on the gods, reflects FAR more on the maturity of the people posting it than on the ones they're complaining about.

An example of some information you may not have:

ltchin "hid" in my room while Victor was rampaging. I wasn't thinking great and said words to the effect of "I can leave, I'm not afraid of Victor because he's on my list." After that, I was alone with Victor several times. When people started accusing Lilly several days later, my reaction was "If she's mafia-aligned, how the hell am I alive? She knew my role. Set a trap, kaboom, easy." This is a big reason lgunder and I were so adamant she was framed. (I believed - correctly - that michikyo was mafia and not framed, so don't start that.) Since she then tried to kill me herself, she probably just wasn't listening. :|

tl;dr IT'S A GAME.

</rant>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:32 am 
I think there's definitely some tone/emotional intent lost on the forums. Worth keeping in mind.

The thing is, when you die, mafia basically becomes a spectator sport. Staying emotionally invested, being happy about the victories/good plays and bemoaning the blunders one side or the other makes is what makes it stay fun for the people who have no power to affect the game itself. So yes, if people are attacking other individuals for decisions made under incomplete info, yeah, that kinda sucks. But generally commenting "oh my god I can't believe town as a collective did that, that was so dumb, etc." really doesn't seem like that big of a deal, especially given how graveyard has been generally noting that town has been playing really well overall.

It is in fact just a game, and I think people do remember that... but it's still fun to comment on it. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:32 am 
I think ddoss put it extremely well. It's normal and expected that ghosts will engage in 'armchair commentary'. As with all commentary that comes with the benefit of complete hindsight, ghosts' commentary should be taken with the requisite grain of salt. And if they ever cross a line and become too personal (and yes, I think that ghosts this game, including myself, may have been a bit too ... animated in the graveyard) then it's perfectly reasonable to ask for the commentary to be toned down a bit.

At the same time I would highly recommend listening to the ghosts' commentary. A lot of us have played this game many times and have a pretty good (though, far, far, far from perfect) idea of what we're talking about. Discuss your reasoning on your supposed 'errors' (just like you did in your post!) and start a back-and-forth conversation. Maybe you'll find that the ghosts' were wrong because of their missing context. Maybe you'll find that you could have improved how you played. Most likely a little of both :)

The mean-spirited attacks against the gods are in a separate category. They were not acceptable and are being privately addressed.

And in all cases, ++ to 'it's just a game'. It's a fun, awesome, intense, and sometimes overwhelming and consuming game. But it's just a game, and everyone should always remember that.