Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:14 am 
Here's my obligatory 'basic strategy' post. I'm going to try not to duplicate ksedlar's too much (you should read hers too.) Consider also reading my 'basic strategy' posts from previous games.

This post is pretty long, but it is worth reading, I promise. I'm going to start with what I think are the most important points, but please read the whole thing :)

1. Be observant for mafia trying to make kills. If you see a player lurking about in a location you wouldn't expect them to be, make a note of it to somebody. Better yet, just post it publicly on the forum. There have been MANY mafia who would have been caught (or at least come under severe suspicion) in previous games if people had done this *.

2. If you think you are vulnerable to being killed, have a text message ready to send at a moment's notice if somebody is approaching you. Just type the person's name and click send. You can clear it up a minute later if it turns out to be a false alarm.

3. If you are going to be in a situation where if you die a particular player probably killed you or sent a fellow mafia to kill you, LET SOMEBODY KNOW (or maybe two somebodies.) In this situation don't let the first player know that you have warned anybody about him/her. You WANT to be killed in such a way that a mafia will be incriminated. Again, there have been various examples in previous games in which this would have caught a mafia. **

4. The mafia gain an incredible amount of power if they can regularly set-a-trap. So don't tell anybody your role. (Almost) ever. If somebody asks, lie. Or tell the truth with 1/9 probability. Volunteer the occasional lie as well. When in doubt, just say you're Conspiracy Theorist.
Exceptions that might justify telling your role:
a. It is necessary for your role. This applies to genies and sometimes to investigators. Note that it does NOT apply to Innocent Child. Innocent Children should only use their power for a good strategic purpose.
b. A genie asks for your role. In this case, you should strongly consider giving your role. I think the benefit of the genie power outways the risk. Use your own judgement, though
c. You need to prove your innocence. For example, you are about to be lynched.
d. You are about to die because of the consequences of your role.
e. There may be other reasons. The takeaway point here is to never tell anybody your role unless they need to know. NEVER tell somebody your role just because you think they are probably innocent.
See *** below for a bit more of an explanation as to why this is so important.

5. Investigators make your own investigation decisions. Listen to other people's viewpoints, but don't just investigate somebody because it was the town consensus.

6. Prophets, you are the most valuable role in the game. You should typically use your power on high-profile targets, especially when they are living too long. Such players include me, lilychen, ksedlar, aok, and Alex. Anybody who has been police officer for more than two days probably falls into this category as well. Same goes for long-lasting mayors, though to a lesser extent. Basically, if you are thinking, "God if that person is mafia we are totally screwed", then you should strongly consider smiting them. The more likely you think it is that they are mafia, the more strongly you should consider smiting.
Prophet smiting should always be done in public with multiple witnesses, unless there is a very good reason to do otherwise.
(Usually) the target should ideally not know in advance that they are going to be prophet-smited.
As with investigators, prophets should consider input from other people, but should make their own decisions.

7. Lynch discussions should be started early in the day, NOT in the last hour. Kudos to town for doing this well yesterday.

8. Having regular in-game meetings is good. This will become even more the case as players start dying off.

9. Your participation and effort in this game is critical. It becomes more critical the longer you live. The mafia will likely try to kill off the most active players, so that they can play the rest of them like a fiddle. You can stop this from happening IF AND ONLY IF you are actively involved in the game as the game goes on. When you are one of only 20 players left in the game, please be actively engaged in the game. Don't let other players make decisions for you and be hyper-aware of what is going on.

10. Don't allow the mafia do get away with bullshit. (Isn't this just a summary of my other points?)

I will likely add more points later. Please discuss and add to these points.

* Example from a previous game: I was mafia trying to kill tjhance. tjhance was in a class in an obscure part of campus. I was waiting outside the classroom. I didn't see tjhance, but he saw me. tjhance should have immediately posted on the forum (or messaged a couple people) saying, "dgrazian is waiting outside my classroom", or even just, "dgrazian" (in case I were to rush in and kill him.) In fact, this was an extreme enough example, that he should have just posted that I was very, very likely mafia.

# Example from a previous game (exact details may be wrong but key points are correct.) Abergal and I were mafia. Abergal asked kaufmand to go over to EC to help a mutual friend with building a loft. When he arrived, I was waiting in the room and killed him (the non-player was assisting the mafia.) Kaufmand should have notified somebody before he went over to EC saying, "if I die in the next 30 minutes, abergal is mafia."

^ Suppose everybody in the game told one random person their role. There will be a total of 11 mafia-aligned people in the game. So on average, the mafia will learn 11 people's roles. This is enough to give them set-a-trap powers for most of the game. And again, this is if each person only tells their role to one other person Imagine how bad this gets when people tell their roles to multiple people.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:41 pm 
A couple more points that I've thought of:

11. If you tell somebody your role tell somebody else that you've told that person your role. (I thought I posted this point earlier today, but I either put it in a different thread, or it didn't go through...)

12. This follows from (4), but I want to emphasize this separately because prophets are so imporant: prophets, DO NOT tell anybody your role for any reason until shortly before you smite somebody (genie-interaction might be the one exception.) In particular, do not admit that you are a prophet and ask others for prophet-advice. There is already useful prophet advice on the forum and there will certainly be more advice (as well as suggestions of smite targets) in the coming days. But until you smite somebody, your job is to not die. If the mafia know or suspect that you are a prophet, you will be a high-priority target.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:44 pm 
Someone brought up shovels; what should the protocol for shoveling be?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:59 pm 
The protocol for tonight is: nobody shovel anybody. We will probably want to shovel him after his death, but we can work out those details tomorrow after the lynch (and after we see whether anything crazy happens immediately before or afterward.)