Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Day 2 death 1
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:00 pm 
I was in the infinite on my way to 24.900, so effectively no alibi :/

I can very weakly alibi other 24.900 people for having made it to class before me (didn't see anybody come in after me though it's a slight possibility).

I can also weakly alibi Liz as she was running to a class that she couldn't be late to in the other direction from 26.

Manipulate the press is likely. Achester had a great moment if opportunity (though he could probably say the same about me) but Troy isn't a target I would expect him to pick for the first kill.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:02 pm 
I was in Maseeh, finishing lunch and working on my 18.014 PSet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:02 pm 
I was eating at Clover.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:03 pm 
on my way from 4-370 to hmart after taking 6.041 exam. (Different exam location from ermain bc last name.)

have receipt from hmart time stamped at 1:17pm with last 4 digits of my credit card number.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:04 pm 
ksedlar wrote:
Does anyone know for sure what Troy was doing there? According to his introduction, he has 21L.511 in 14N-112 at 1:00. So my best guess is that he was running late. However, that still raises the question of why mafia killed him where they did. They couldn't have known he would be there, unless they knew where he would be coming from and what path he would take. Do any of the ET people know who might know that?

Alternatively, it could have been a kill of convenience, or an instance of manipulate the press. I'm leaning towards the latter, given that it is the first kill.

It is common knowledge among the ET actives that there is a van run from ET to campus at 1. This may not have been made explicit in intros. It is common knowledge among all players where the ET van lot is (I mentioned it in my intro).

However, I would still expect that this is an instance of ET/maybe Random mafia happening across Troy, unless someone has already memorized the faces of everyone in game, which would be quite impressive.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:05 pm 
However, I wouldn't expect people from ET to pick Troy as a first kill since he is a new player, and we all know that. :-(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:08 pm 
I was in my lab class in building 4 (where I still am). NPs Natalie Burgos and Ilana Porter can confirm.

I likewise would not have killed a new player on day 2 of I were mafia. I suspect this was a kill of convenience.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:08 pm 
I was sitting in 8.01 talking to Dourmashkin in 26-151, I am still there now in class.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:09 pm 
I was in 4-159 taking 18.303. Two non player can confirm.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:12 pm 
I was in a physics recitation until 1:00, at which point I headed back to Random. Unfortunately, I was walking alone and the recitation was in 26-142, so I would be a good investigation target from an objective point of view, as I was very close at the time of the death. However, I did not walk in the direction of 26-100 to walk back to Random, so I did not see anything happen and did not commit the murder.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:12 pm 
Fencing Class

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:14 pm 
I was having a coding interview in my room at Random and had been sleeping from 11 - 1 PM before that. No alibis to back me up unless you count the negative proof of rmli not seeing me in recitation and ktatar knowing that I was really sleep depped.

Also, since someone mentioned looking at a phone screen - electronic proof is not allowed in this game. You can say that you did stuff but you can't explicitly show electronic timestamps.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:23 pm 
How is that different from when Dgrazian showed people his trader joe's receipt? people could easily ask their friends to use their phones and essentially fake the alibi. In that case the timestamp is not hard proof.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:23 pm 
I know this alibi sucks, but I just woke up.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:25 pm 
Electronic proof is too easy to get. I think a general rule would be that if you didn't put it on paper before you found out about the kill, you can't use it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:40 pm 
I was in or running toward 32-123 for a class with a quiz at the start of every lecture (6.005).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:41 pm 
Also, second the thought that this was a noob making a kill of opportunity.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:42 pm 
I was in 4-270 for 24.900, before class started. Pravina can confirm.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:44 pm 
Who all was in 24.900, and can confirm other players' presence at 1:05?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:47 pm 
I was in 6.005 abergal and npc's can confirm.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:49 pm 
I honestly don't think any alibi at the beginning of class is worth much, unless the class is in Sloan or something super far.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:51 pm 
In 6.005 with lopezv. The class starts at 1:05 PM, I got there a little before 1:00 PM and lopezv was already there (so no way it was him). I sat next to him the whole time. NPCs can confirm.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:53 pm 
I was leaving 6.006 recitation in 34 towards building 46, where I've been tooling since... So yeah, essentially no alibi here.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:25 pm 
I was in 54-100 for 18.03 lecture.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:33 pm 
Sleeping at ET.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:35 pm 
I was in my 18.01 recitation.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:40 pm 
This is odd: are we sure troy was in 21L.511? It doesn't look like that's actually a class...

http://student.mit.edu/catalog/m21La.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:41 pm 
I was in the Terrascope room (where I usually am if I'm skipping 18.03) cramming for 5.60 test today. The room was full of people, but none of them are in the game so I guess no solid alibi? Are we allowed to call on witnesses outside the game?

I'm kind of intrigued how the mafia knew where he would be. How can it be a spontaneous kill, without prior planning? I'm guessing the people would have to know him, or maybe were following him from ET or his other class.

One more thing going around in my mind, this doesn't completely eliminate suspicions from experienced players. They are the ones who know that experienced players wouldn't kill a newbie, so they could use one newbie sacrifice to manipulate the press. Just putting it out there.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:46 pm 
Non-players can be witnesses, although they have no incentive to tell the truth, and usually just confirm whatever they've been told to say.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:50 pm 
kemus wrote:
This is odd: are we sure troy was in 21L.511? It doesn't look like that's actually a class...

http://student.mit.edu/catalog/m21La.html

That's what it says in his introduction at least. He might have mistyped the number, but I don't think he would just say he is part of a nonexistent class.

fmajluf7 wrote:
One more thing going around in my mind, this doesn't completely eliminate suspicions from experienced players.

Definitely not (James Hobin killed newbie dmz first in the last fall game), and some experienced players care more about this than others. Daniel Grazian has specifically declared this as a principle he would not violate if he were mafia, but I'm not sure to what degree others care.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next