Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:29 am 
This is not an accusation; however, I will mention that given the high probability that the vote was going to be no-lynch, it is not implausible that someone who voted for dgrazien did not expect him to die. If dgrazien and person X were both mafia, it would imply a separation between them where no valid one exists.

Because this is the beginning of the game and the mafia is unable to easily lynch someone by just convincing a few townspeople, it is not out of the question to wonder if the mafia is practicing some cleverness to indicate separation in their ranks so that if one mafia dies, the others aren't held suspect.

Personally I don't think dgrazien is mafia, given our conversations. (however if you saw mafia last night I'm not very good at the accusation thing.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:44 am 
@Daniel. For what you have said about me, that's good logic, but if I'm mafia, I wouldn't be that stupid to make myself so obvious. I was just being honest and trying to explain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:02 pm 
I'd appreciate it if everyone else were to say VOTE: PLAYERNAME so that we know for whom everyone intends to vote. There's no reason not to at this point in the game.

On the note, referring to this post...

[quote=DGraz]alexwest
AmiGreene
Bobby Fortanely
Brian Iglesias
Daniel Grazian
Fluffy
JB Parkes
kaima
Kate O'Connor
Lydia Krasilnikova
mats_a

A couple people I'd particularly like to see investigated include:
- Lydia Krasilnikova
- Kate O'Connor
- kaima
- AmiGreene [/quote]

Based on Kate supposedly campaigning for Daniel's lynch, I will be voting for Kate.

Vote Kate (obviously I still have to submit my vote to Alex)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:05 pm 
I can't seem to find any posts by Kate. Lynch a lurker who is suspicious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:10 pm 
jayarsea wrote:
Based on Kate supposedly campaigning for Daniel's lynch, I will be voting for Kate.

There isn't strong evidence that she committed the murder. I'd want something more substantial one way or the other before we lynch Kate: at least some discussion before I vote.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:25 pm 
Yeah, but we don't want a real investigator coming out so early. An investigator may want to PM a surrogate to indicate if Kate is innocent of the murder.... But that wouldn't mean that she isn't mafia, of course. I agree with dgrazien that Kate and Di are the most suspicious, though it's possible that Di was being honest and was just playing the game badly (speaking of which, I now find it unlikely that Vinoth is mafia, unless that was a highly elaborate act he put on last night during regular mafia).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:31 pm 
JB Parkes wrote:
jayarsea wrote:

There isn't strong evidence that she committed the murder. I'd want something more substantial one way or the other before we lynch Kate: at least some discussion before I vote.

You're right, JB. There's strong evidence against no one.

However, a shot in the dark is better than not taking the shot at all.
PS: If you are a power role, claim rather than be lynched.

In last year's game I was surprise lynched around day 5 or 6. I didn't think anyone would be voting for me and I wound up lynch leader with 4-5 votes (IIRC). It's important that people say whom they are voting for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:34 pm 
Just so that every one is clear, to my knowledge as her roommate, Kate's been asleep for the majority of today thusfar (she went to sleep at some point after midnight, and is still asleep), which is why she hasn't been posting, at least in response to the recent flood of accusations against her.

This is not to say that I think she's innocent. I don't honestly know. I just think that we should give her a chance to explain herself once she's awake.

As for before last night, I have no idea why she hasn't been posting on the forums. I just know that she hasn't been online since the rush of accusations against her began, and I feel that she should get a chance to talk before we kill her off prematurely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:07 pm 
I at least want to know about the information she has about Daniel that was supposedly intended to be shared with everyone (as mentioned by Brogan) before we make a final decision on Kate.

Seconding JRC to say that if you're on the chopping block and are a special role, it's best you speak up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:19 pm 
Okay, I haven't been posting since I've been asleep until about five minutes ago. I campaigned against DGrazian because Bobby told me (and the rest of BMF lounge) that DGrazian tapped and said "Bang! You're dead" before game started, so I found that really suspicious. Also because he seemed to be throwing random accusations around. I know it's not a lot to go on, but as jayarsea pointed out, "a shot in the dark is better than not taking a shot at all."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:23 pm 
Oh, I think he was just fucking with everyone, with the shoulder thing >.> And that's also just how Daniel plays mafia. I've played with him before. He likes gauging reactions to the question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:27 pm 
I admit I've never played Mafia with Daniel before, so I don't know if this is something he'd do. It just seemed like it should have been obvious that this would make him at least appear suspicious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:06 pm 
On a sidenote, the 2 Investigators will have gained knowledge by now that will be useful to the townspeople. However, it is in the best interests that the information be public, but the identity of the investigators remain secret. So I suggest that anonymously the 2 investigators reveal the information that they have learned.

One way to do this is to make up a new account (say 'Investigator 1' and 'Investigator 2') and anonymously post their information through these accounts (so no-one knows who the investigator is). If more than two people post messages, then the validity of the claims is of course compromised but I think it's worth a shot nonetheless.

Is this legal? Or perhaps there's another legal way of making the investigators anonymously reveal their information?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:15 pm 
I talked to DGrazian last night while we were playing mafia (the non live-action one) - if he is Mafia, he's a very convincing liar. Or maybe I'm just gullible, but I was very surprised when people voted for him - he didn't seem suspicious at all to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:22 pm 
Vinoth wrote:
On a sidenote, the 2 Investigators will have gained knowledge by now that will be useful to the townspeople. However, it is in the best interests that the information be public, but the identity of the investigators remain secret. So I suggest that anonymously the 2 investigators reveal the information that they have learned.

One way to do this is to make up a new account (say 'Investigator 1' and 'Investigator 2') and anonymously post their information through these accounts (so no-one knows who the investigator is). If more than two people post messages, then the validity of the claims is of course compromised but I think it's worth a shot nonetheless.

Is this legal? Or perhaps there's another legal way of making the investigators anonymously reveal their information?

this mechanic is broken but for what its worth Kate didn't kill Laura.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:49 pm 
Investigator $ wrote:
Vinoth wrote:

You really should have waited for Alex to confirm that this was legal before doing it.... I'm honestly not sure it is, and breaking the rules is never fun or worth it =.="

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:54 pm 
While it's true that I didn't kill Laura, I'm not sure what's stopping a member of the mafia from creating an "Investigator" account.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:01 pm 
Kate O'Connor wrote:
While it's true that I didn't kill Laura, I'm not sure what's stopping a member of the mafia from creating an "Investigator" account.

Yes, whatever, it's true that a mafia person calling an innocent person innocent would be useful for getting them on their side for calling "criminals" out in the future, for psychological reasons. Glad you see through that.

More importantly: no ruling yet.

Me: afraid that this entire game will go two levels of meta higher by everyone having unlimited alts and all discussion being SUPER BULLSHIT. If you can make alternate accounts, think of how many the mafia could make that would all just throw everything off. Discussions could be derailed, no one could trust anyone else, and then the mafia would win solely because statistics would be on their side. This is NOT GOOD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:02 pm 
The only thing that could be trusted is people's votes, though at least those would still be published.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:23 pm 
Investigator $ wrote:
Vinoth wrote:

Totally not legal. You may post and send messages on the forum from your account, and only your account. So no new accounts. I said this outright last year, but apparently forgot to do so this year. Don't exploit the forums. And get my permission before doing anything clever or exploitative.

You're free to attempt to send anonymous messages off the forum, but there you have no protection against prying eyes or countermeasures. If someone recognizes your handwriting or traces the source of your e-mail, too bad for you. Shenanigans like this might be OK off forum (though check with me), but they are definitely not allowed here.

I'm not deleting the message or revealing it the poster's identity. The damage is done. Take the message for what it's worth.

I can't enumerate every illegal thing you might venture to do. That doesn't mean you should try them. It's a game. Have fun. Compete, but play fair. If you're hesitant about whether something is illegal, ask me.

Also, if you think something is broken, don't show off how clever you are by announcing it publicly. Nobody wants the game broken. Tell me, and if it is broken, I will fix it, and thank you for it.

P.S. While I'm allowing off-forum anonymous messaging for now, if turn this game into a shitstorm of fake identities that is barely recognizable as a game of Mafia, I will disallow that as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:41 pm 
Also, please call me if something requires my attention. My number is 201-240-8237.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:04 pm 
Thank you Kate for posting that, it helps me look slightly less stupid. At this point, I'm a little wary of Kate for the obvious reason that she said this to both myself and Brian with the intention of getting us to vote to lynch Daniel. I also saw her on my way back to Random from my lab today and she said, "I promise I'm not about to kill you." Aside from that, I have no other obvious suspicions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:48 pm 
Does anyone else intend to announce whom they are voting for? I'm going to shift off of Kate.

VivianLee wrote:
blablabla

These people voted yesterday without really contributing much to the discussion:
alexwest
Lydia
mika

and onto Lydia

Vote Lydia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:48 pm 
I just finished UPOP (where I will be from 9:30a.m. - 5:00 p.m. everyday this week.) I'm in the student center right now, but I'll be returning to Random soon.

As Kate is the one person who I see as considerably suspicious, I will vote to lynch her (unless a convincing reason not to comes up.)

If an investigator gets a positive response, he/she should without question reveal this to the forum. A reasonable method is as follows:
Choose two people you think are innocent (if you don't trust your judgment, choose randomly) and tell them what you learned. Have one of those people come out as a surrogate investigator. There is of course the chance that you will get unlucky and reveal yourself to the mafia, but this is better than revealing yourself directly to the forum, and the information should still get out to the town.

Also, investigators remember that even if there is no mafia kill on a particular day, you can still investigate a previous day's kill even if you have already investigated that kill before. You do not have to visit the site again. So if it's 2 minutes to midnight and no kill announcement has come in, investigate day 1 (again hopefully.) Whatever you do, do not waste a day's investigation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:52 pm 
jayarsea, do you have any particular reason for moving from Kate to Lydia. I am suspicious of Lydia, but not nearly as suspicious as I am of Kate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:53 pm 
Echoing Daniel, I'm probably voting for Kate unless there's some significant reason to shift the suspicion elsewhere.[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:54 pm 
Never mind, didn't see the quote in your post. Still, I want to vote Kate off the island a lot more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:58 pm 
Daniel Grazian wrote:
Never mind, didn't see the quote in your post. Still, I want to vote Kate off the island a lot more.

Do you disbelieve the (faked?) posted report?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:07 pm 
I'm inclined to trust dgrazian's judgement.

Vote Kate x3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:14 pm 
Did anyone happen to notice who was online around the time the (")investigator(") posted? It was 7 minutes after the suggestion, and he/she didn't wait for Alex's clarification. This was either an investigator itching to say something, or mafia jumping to save a fellow member. I can't really figure out which is more likely since I don't know the people playing all that well.

I'm also kind of annoyed by that outburst too, which might be why I'm disinclined to trust it. Not sure much can actually be gained from analysis unless we have a record of who was online. But then there's also the danger of accidentally revealing the investigator's identity.

Quote:
I'm inclined to trust dgrazian's judgement.

He could, of course, also be mafia. In my memory Daniel is quite good at this game.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next