Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:53 pm 
I may come off a little slow for this, but I honestly trusted Mats until something was brought up. I DO think a random lynch mechanic would be a good idea if we had ABSOLUTELY no clue, but right now isn't the time to start that.

As much as I hate to say it, voting tonight for Mats <3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:38 pm 
Random lynch is statistically hurtful to the townsfolk if there are more townsfolk than mafia, and if there are more mafia than townsfolk, we've lost. It is always better to choose, even if the choice is just based off intuition or weak evidence, unless you have reason to believe that evidence is actually a mafia ploy.

Sorry, Mats, but you haven't convinced me of your innocence. Voting for Mats unless something in the next five hours twenty minutes comes up to change my mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:59 pm 
The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to think Mats's story seems fishy... casting my vote for now, but happy to change it if something more conclusive comes up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:20 pm 

Please excuse me for the bold, just woke up and I gotta catch a train for Mystery Hunt.

Brain, if you think that a random lynch is statistically likely to favor the mafia (despite it being the best play in absence of multiple source of evidence, as per the wikipedia article I think?), then I offer to vote the same as a randomly-selected person as determined in a fair way in full view of everyone (or by Alex) for the rest of the game -- or some similar mechanic -- to ensure that my vote goes to the townspeople (repeat if person dies). If you still are not willing to work with that, then I don't know how to appease you.

I'm not even going to reply to JJ's and JRC's offensives. It's clear one of the two has a hidden agenda, or are both severely misguided, I'm not sure which. I'm also slightly suspicious of Vivian, given that she PMed me earlier saying she didn't think I'm Mafia.

Anyway, I have compiled a list of who I am suspicious of, and have sent it to three random people in case I die.

Since this is plurality voting, I am tragically forced to suggest No-Lynch as the alternative, since otherwise the vote would be too split between a random-lynch and a no-lynch and I'd die.

TOMORROW, people can use this script I have created at http://scripts.mit.edu/~mats_a/daily-ra ... service.py (assuming Alex is unwilling to perform a trusted randomization, are you Alex? -- if so, that would be superior) Under no circumstances use this generator tonight.

ALSO NOTE ---> I am voting for myself tonight. Let's see who votes for me too. =) I would have voted for an alternative, but you townsfolk apparently need a random generator to create alternatives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:25 pm 
Ok, I'm confused - how does it make any sense for you to vote for yourself, Mats?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:32 pm 
I'm not performing randomization. If you want to, do it yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:36 pm 
Nicole wrote:
Ok, I'm confused - how does it make any sense for you to vote for yourself, Mats?

It reduces the threshold necessary to lynch me, making it either very appealing or very unappealing for mafia. Depends on which level of meta they play at.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:43 pm 
mats_a wrote:
Nicole wrote:

It reduces the threshold necessary to lynch me, making it either very appealing or very unappealing for mafia. Depends on which level of meta they play at.

Mats, why did you let Vinoth post on the forum while you were still logged in?

Matsx3 (unless I'm impeached...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:44 pm 
vinoth? wait what??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:45 pm 
JB Parkes wrote:
mats_a wrote:
Nicole wrote:

I have no idea what you mean by Vinoth posting on the forum while I was still logged on. I got Alex to remove whatever he said after the lynch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:45 pm 
JingJian-JJ wrote:
vinoth? wait what??

Pretty sure that was a joke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:46 pm 
mats_a wrote:
JB Parkes wrote:
mats_a wrote:
Nicole wrote:

I have no idea what you mean by Vinoth posting on the forum while I was still logged on. I got Alex to remove whatever he said after the lynch.

Specifically, I successfully helped prevent an major infraction of the rules. =p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:48 pm 
mats_a wrote:
JB Parkes wrote:
mats_a wrote:
Nicole wrote:

I'm sorry. I figured the only way you could have posted something so flabber-ghastingly idiotic was if Vinoth used your computer to post. I see I was mistaken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:50 pm 
LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:09 pm 
For the love of god, someone impeach this man so I don't die. He promised not to vote for me unless I was being clearly mafia.

Being ridiculous doesn't mean not being mafia. It also does not indicate poor gameplay given that I felt it necessary to report on this murder and was the only one around.

Also if I live I promise to let the player last on the randomizer list tell me how to vote, assuming they do so before 10:50pm each day. Surely there are more townsfolk than mafia here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:14 pm 
Oh I also promise to stop participating so much except to vote, perhaps against the others who don't vote now that there are fewer townsfolk. =p

Also dgrazian, in the unlikely event you actually did kill yourself, you will give me a highfive at the end of this game. =p If you were being tailed by someone... I'm sorry for not protecting you. =p

Oh well, if I die due to epic fail for the townsfolk being led astray and being unable to generate alternatives, and have given them the tools necessary to succeed, I will be victorious if either side wins.

*You see my character step onto the gallows and prepare the noose on himself*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:16 pm 
addendum, if no one caught it:

"Also if I live I promise to let the player last on the randomizer list tell me how to vote, assuming they do so before 10:50pm each day [addendum: and I do not strongly believe they are mafia]. This should appease Brian's argument that there are more townsfolk than mafia and a Random Lynch may be bad."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:20 pm 
(obviously no one has to vote randomly unless they want to, in fact they should not do so if they have overwhelming evidence -- but once again, you all are killing me due to the False Dilemma mental fallacy, remember this in your future lives! >_>)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:29 pm 
mats_a wrote:
I'm also slightly suspicious of Vivian, given that she PMed me earlier saying she didn't think I'm Mafia.

You're putting words into my mouth. I stated in the PM I didn't think you performed Dgrazian's kill, but I said nothing about whether or not I thought you were mafia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:32 pm 
VivianLee wrote:
mats_a wrote:
I'm also slightly suspicious of Vivian, given that she PMed me earlier saying she didn't think I'm Mafia.

You're putting words into my mouth. I stated in the PM I didn't think you performed Dgrazian's kill, but I said nothing about whether or not I thought you were mafia.

Oh okay, fair enough. I dislike putting words in other people's mouths; I misinterpreted. I can vouch that what Vivian said right now is entirely accurate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:42 pm 
JB, WTF is your problem? This is not the first time you've said something to this effect about me being stupid. So I can defend myself:

I'm sure I'm much smarter intellectually than you are.

JB Parkes wrote:

I'm sorry. I figured the only way you could have posted something so flabber-ghastingly idiotic was if Vinoth used your computer to post. I see I was mistaken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:49 pm 
Dead men tell no tales! Bwoop! Bwoop! I am a ghost! ~(O_O)~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:53 pm 
Vinoth wrote:
JB, WTF is your problem? This is not the first time you've said something to this effect about me being stupid. So I can defend myself:

I'm sure I'm much smarter intellectually than you are.

JB Parkes wrote:

You're right Vinoth. Puzzle hunting is very stressful. I don't doubt your intelligence. I simply got frustrated with your style of play in Mafia. After venting, I've calmed down significantly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:56 pm 
Sorry, I don't doubt your intelligence either, I just thought you were rude (and so I was rude in response). Good luck puzzlehunting.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3