Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hello Ghosties!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:54 pm 
Yeah asra!! I'm pretty sure she promised oreo not to tell :P
Sorry but I'm happy to see my killer go down even though she's mvp'ing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:55 pm 
Lucy wrote:
Clearly blue/black

It is white and gold. You speak lies.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:13 am 
I agree with God.

Kemus agrees with Lucy, though. Obviously the two of them are mafia ;)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:19 am 
Urgh, so much frustration with this game. :(

I know I'm supposed to write in verse, but fuck it, I was composing a long poem when I was killed, and I don't feel like it right now. I maintain that my grammar was totally fine, in any case.

My role (girl scout) turns out to have been a net negative to town, since the poisoned cookie basically killed 2 townies (me, and Josh who I inadvertently poisoned). A reasonable negative effect would have been something like "you may not make an investigation today." It would have been reasonable for all the effects to be positive. There is no way that accidentally poisoning someone is a reasonable effect of a town role, unless the positive effects are godly and far more common. This was definitely a net negative ability, and had I known that poisoning someone was a possibility at all, I probably just wouldn't have used the ability.

My biggest complaint with this game is that nothing seemed to mean anything because the space of possible roles/effects was too unconstrained. Daniel had implied that there were patterns I should be looking for, but then the patterns I thought I observed in the flavortext turned out to be meaningless. There were patterns in the investigation results, but we never had enough data to tease them out. If you had told each investigator from the start that their results would be either all true, all false, or randomly determined, then there would have been enough information to make investigations meaningful. All the shovels were of questionable reliability, all the alignment checks were of questionable reliability, etc. Basically nothing could be trusted, and we didn't have enough data to figure out what patterns there were. This problem would have been drastically alleviated if we had known the constraints on the space of possibilities.

Anyway, I applaud the GMs for running this game. It has a lot of interesting and quite amusing ideas, and you've clearly put heroic amounts of work into it. But as a game, it has been extremely frustrating for me. The more I found out about the game, the more disillusioned I became with it. I'm not blaming you guys, because I had some idea of what I was signing up for, but I think this is an experiment that should not be repeated.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:43 am 
For the most part, your cookies gave out investigations and killproofs of some sort. The only reason there were two negative effects today was that dgrazian and I weren't coordinating properly and accidentally made a net two deaths happen rather than what should have been one.

Sorry. :(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:43 am 
Ellena wrote:
Also, wtf is up with Lily Chen? That's not my original role, she knew I found out sammyluo's alignment from the cookie she gave me yesterday (in fact, she suggested it), and what are these 'role related reasons' she trusts me for? Did she check my alignment or something before I gave her the cookie? Because that would be hillarious.

This happened because I got a shovel of ambiguous reliability from Megan, and I used it to shovel you. Pravina told me your role was "insane cop", which gives you an alignment check per day. I associated that with the effect you said the cookie gave you, and hypothesized that cookies give you a temporary boost to whatever power your role naturally gives you. I asked Josh (who I gave my first cookie to) whether he agreed with this assessment, and he said yes (he claimed this was with 75% probability of being true and 25% false). So I drew that conclusion and assumed that meant that your role was indeed insane cop, which increased my priors on you being town. Oh well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:46 am 
Sorry. Most investigations were generally reliable unless they had reason not to be, or they were assigned to players whose roles were insane cop or random cops.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:22 am 
But Ellena was originally an insane investigator, not an insane cop, correct?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:11 am 
Yup, and I was town when you gave me the cookie, and that was the effect it gave me :)

Thanks for fighting for my innocence. I appreciated it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:31 am 
Also, who actually killed you, Lily? Maybe I'm missing post somewhere, but I can't tell how you died.

(And whoo ~~~ done with my midterms for this week ~~~ my life is no longer a pit of misery ~~~)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:35 am 
Josh vigilante-killed me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:47 pm 
The level of confusion in the game (and my ghost power) let me try some levels of trolling that I wouldn't have dared in a normal game. I think I had aliciacm and maybe lilychen believing that my rogue plot was a townie scheme, and if I'd sent the results to more than lilychen at the end shensley may have gotten lynched from it. Oh well. I did suspect oreo was not mafia-aligned though, so good thing we had her checked.

I have learned, however, that I do not enjoy being mafia-aligned. Killing people is scary and lying/not being able to clarify things for town is annoying :( But being a ghost was fun :D

I like how mafia den day 1 was basically Jakob repeatedly going "we need to get rid of sammy so I can actually kill people," ouch :P If I wasn't mafia aligned I would have noted his somewhat sketchy behavior by the end of day 1, but I think to everyone else he did a good job of hiding it.

Mafia really need to get more organized though... Jakob's reply-all was quite unfortunate. Hopefully by the time it gets noted again town will be decimated enough for it not to matter.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:48 pm 
On my kemus kill attempt though... I thought after what happened in the fall with benlin -> oreo it was decided that once a mafia player asks you for your name when they could have instead just said "bang," you should just let them do whatever game action they were about to do on you. So I was legitimately confused for a bit about what was going on/ what I was supposed to do. Afterwards I ran around to almost random -> almost EC -> almost student center (directed by different suggestions for kamikazing) before going to my meeting and typing up my excuse. I guess the end result was more fun than a kamikaze :D especially since I don't find killing people fun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:51 pm 
Sorry for the triple post (I seem to do this kind of thing in all three forums :p) but anyone know Alex's role or alignment? He rogue claimed to me and said he had reason to want to kill Troy, but I reassigned him to Eric Yang just in case he was town. this may create suspicions in any case.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:10 pm 
Create your own - He's currently "Friar" can tap someone on the shoulder and say "Bong"; this kills them for 24 hours (this might actually be 24 hours rather than till next day start but I'm not sure). He also has a bunch of safeguards in place like If you are not Alex arkhipov, you die and all your items transfer to Alex (secretly) and if you try and find his role you are told a cover role and he finds out that X or Y attempted this, where X or Y could be an item or a role or a player? Not sure on the details.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:43 pm 
Wait so is he town aligned? Whoops maybe it's actually a bad idea that I suggested for michikyo to check his role next. What do you mean by the item transferring safeguard?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:34 pm 
I like this Alex plot! That explains the contents of his PMs to me. Good thing Sasha was eavesdropping.

Really hope Jakob can stay alive longer, even if it means not being able to discuss with him for a while :') though Mafia really should get more organized with their plotting to have a chance...
Jakob seemed to be planning possible kills pretty carefully earlier today on his laptop, but he hasn't been posting any specific kill ideas on forums... he tried to pass by lgunder's class this morning but got the room number wrong :( he's definitely playing well though. I'm proud :')

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:58 pm 
I pm'ed this to gods but I don't think sashacf should have been allowed to eavesdrop/act on what they managed to overhear. Alex and troy went into a private room and spoke with the intention that neither sashacf nor anyone else know what they talked about.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:05 pm 
Hmm, good point. I don't think it changes mafia's actions though, except that it might make michikyo not role check Alex... Which I guess is significant given Alex's safety thing. This is tricky.

BTW here is the mafia spreadsheet, for ease of access
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1doBaBhNPfeZtshxlSxCQD8rf5EWBgo4y-w64GiDIzBA/edit#gid=871584099
Jakob is the only one who's been updating it as far as I can tell. They know quite a bit of role info.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:22 pm 
I don't understand why they are plotting to kill me? In fact michikyo is the only live player left on 4E

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:25 pm 
I'm really disappointed. I really wanted to see this plan come to fruition. It would have been the most epic plan!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:26 pm 
Yeah I think they're just confused. I had to try really hard to resist messaging Jakob 'jessk is dead...'

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:30 pm 
And now, similarly, ltchin, you should verify lgunder's role :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:34 pm 
In response to Lucy, I think this is a reasonable thing to talk about after the game, but I do not believe anything wrong was done.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:42 pm 
Hmm so I think that given the eavesdropping, optimal strategy would have been to kill someone not at et, wait for Alex to bong Troy, then kill another person at et after Alex 'revealed'. this would have gotten Alex lynched without any real risk of discovery.

About the eavesdropping itself: I think both lzahray and shensley would have had several opportunities to pause by Jakob's or my door and listen to our mafia plots. I would not have thought it fair if they had done this, unless the door was open (which it usually was because we were being careless). But I'm not sure if this is justified.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:05 am 
So if Josh and lane discuss, he's just caught oreo's lie probably. Don't know what this would mean for everyone's survival chances.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:16 am 
sammyluo wrote:
Hmm so I think that given the eavesdropping, optimal strategy would have been to kill someone not at et, wait for Alex to bong Troy, then kill another person at et after Alex 'revealed'. this would have gotten Alex lynched without any real risk of discovery.

The key was that Troy had a copied role to communicate from beyond the grave, so if I was in danger of lynching, Troy could post to vouch for me. Except, unknown to Troy, he would only be able to post one, and only using letters from "BLAH".

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:23 am 
I'm sorry your and Troy's plan didn't go off!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:25 am 
All hail oreo! Queen of Mystery Mafia.

But seriously, oreo the Serial Killer was really impressive this game!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:33 am 
NOOO OREO </3

welcome to the graveyard

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next