Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Investigations
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:14 pm 
If you are an investigator or superhero, I would advise that you do the following:
1. Use a random number generator to choose someone to be your proxy. Tell them "I am an investigator. Please report my investigation results for me."
2. Visit the murder site. Look through the alibis, and decide on someone to investigate. In general, you shouldn't let other people tell you who to investigate or influence your decision. It's best to avoid the same person being investigated multiple times, IMO. Some people disagree. Tell your proxy who you investigated, and what you found.
3. DO NOT tell your proxy how many clues you found there. The mafia cannot find this information out (without a conscripted investigator), and there is no reason to tell them at this point in the game. The number of remaining investigations on a kill is best to leave a mystery to them. Once we start wondering about the possibility of dead serial killers, we can consider asking investigators to tell us the numbers through their proxies.

The proxy should make up a pseudonym for the investigator, and post saying that they will be proxying for an investigator. Then, they should later post any results that their investigator tells them.

Post subject: Re: Investigations
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:08 pm 
I also think we should avoid the same person being investigated twice. The only situation this could possibly be useful for is something to do with don, right? So it's not relevant now.

So basically if you make an investigation make sure to tell your proxy the results asap, and if you're a proxy make sure to post asap. This should help in avoiding repeats. However if I'm being dumb and you have a good reason to investigate the same person then do it; I just don't want *unintentional* repeats to happen.

Also as aok said, don't let people tell you who to investigate (because it might be mafia trying to lead you astray) however if you are new and don't know who to investigate, one idea is to take a look at the forums and see if there's anyone who has been pointed out as sketchy for any reason.

For example, ksedlar pointed out that someone from Simmons may have recognized Austin Fathman and killed him out of convenience, so maybe investigating a Simmons player could be a start. (Although as a Sim I actually disagree with Katie, because I don't think many of the Simmons players know him, as he often spends time on his girlfriend's floor I believe? Which is not where we hang out. And I know I personally wouldn't recognize him. But that was just the first thing I could think of that could give investigators a starting point)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:23 pm 
oreo wrote:
For example, ksedlar pointed out that someone from Simmons may have recognized Austin Fathman and killed him out of convenience, so maybe investigating a Simmons player could be a start. (Although as a Sim I actually disagree with Katie, because I don't think many of the Simmons players know him, as he often spends time on his girlfriend's floor I believe? Which is not where we hang out. And I know I personally wouldn't recognize him. But that was just the first thing I could think of that could give investigators a starting point)

Ah, okay. I wasn't sure if you guys had any interaction with him. Do you know if any of the other Simmons players would recognize him without an intro picture? I can only think of a handful of people who have actually interacted with him in person: myself (from a mic transfer two games ago), abergal (from being mafia with him last year), inisley (from getting killed by him last year), and various long-time players (definitely Dgrazian, probably aok and Lily Chen... oh god are there not other players who've played longer than me!?). And even then we he wouldn't be at the top of any of our "kill out of familiarity" lists.

So my best guess is that he was killed because he was killable at a convenient time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:38 pm 
Definitely Frevan and probably cstubbe and maybe Jeanie have seen him in person at least once. I don't think that previous to IAP mafia any of us had any idea who he was though

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:52 pm 
AFAIK I've never seen him in person.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:58 pm 
Ok, sorry, he came to 4ab to sign our petitions and I couldn't remember who was there

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:48 pm 
Investigators (and superheros and activated desperados, though we shouldn't have any of the latter for a couple days):

You have the most important power in the game: investigations. If you do nothing else the entire game, use the investigation powers that you have.

Never let a day go by in which you have an available investigation and you don't use it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:57 pm 
I want to make my mayor investigation soon, so if anyone wants to investigate me, do so soon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:52 pm 
I'm proxying for investigator Buttercup.

Buttercup says Ininsley did not kill AustinFathman.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:59 pm 
TOWN. WHY DO WE ONLY HAVE ONE INVESTIGATION. WHAT IS THIS.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:05 pm 
Investigators, if you haven't made your investigation, you still have an hour. That's even enough time to make it to a kill site. Though a proxy should post if someone is investigating Adam Yedidia, so we don't have repeat investigations on that front.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:07 pm 
JFK says Lily Chen did not kill Austin Fathman.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:16 pm 
I'm proxying for Investigator Dipper, who says jessk didn't kill Austin Fathman.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:19 pm 
JFK will be investigating Adam tomorrow, so no one else investigate him (unless you do it tonight). They will have the results by noon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:22 pm 
Daniel Grazian wrote:
Investigators (and superheros and activated desperados, though we shouldn't have any of the latter for a couple days):

You have the most important power in the game: investigations. If you do nothing else the entire game, use the investigation powers that you have.

Never let a day go by in which you have an available investigation and you don't use it.

Bringing this back. Please investigators, you have 3 kills to check out, pick one and check someone.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:07 pm 
Given the timing of Lilly Chin's and ksedlar's deaths is <30m apart, I would bet the killer lives (or hangs out a lot) in Random so they could stay that long without being noticed. Only 2 randomites have bad alibis, lilychen and inisley. They seem like the obvious investigation targets

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:10 pm 
Agreed that Ishara and I should be checked.

I do think it's somewhat strange that the mafia were able to make 4 (3 non-hitman) kills on only the second day, though. That would require knowing two people's roles (and of the people who died, I doubt Katie would tell anyone her role, and I don't think Lilly would either). Using up scheme this early would seem unwise as well. So I think it's fairly likely one of these kills was a serial killer kill.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:14 pm 
My mayoral investigation finds that Lily did NOT kill Lilly.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:17 pm 
aok wrote:
My mayoral investigation finds that Lily did NOT kill Lilly.

Cool. I can confirm the truth of this statement.

If someone could investigate Ishara for ltchin, that'd be great. If not, I think I'd be inclined to just lynch Ishara anyway. There doesn't seem to be anyone else around Random who could have made the kill.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:20 pm 
I agree that I should definitely be investigated. Don't just lynch me without investigating though; there are a lot of other players without alibis or with alibis that would have allowed them to get to random just as easily as I could have. I'm a clear investigation target but I shouldn't just be lynched because of that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:23 pm 
inisley wrote:
I agree that I should definitely be investigated. Don't just lynch me without investigating though; there are a lot of other players without alibis or with alibis that would have allowed them to get to random just as easily as I could have. I'm a clear investigation target but I shouldn't just be lynched because of that.

Normally I'd agree, but I have a strong suspicion that the killer lives in Random. Everyone else either has pretty solid alibis, or probably wouldn't be able to wander around Random for half an hour and make two kills without being noticed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:27 pm 
There's still the group of people watching stuff on Black Hole, who could have easily slipped away for a minute to make a kill. I do have a worse alibi than a lot of other people, but I still shouldn't be lynched without being investigated first.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:28 pm 
We did not move since before Lilly died.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:28 pm 
Are you absolutely sure of that? There's no way anyone could have briefly slipped away?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:29 pm 
No way. Just absolutely no way.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:29 pm 
None of us three left at any point without the others, as two of us would have noticed if the third left.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:54 pm 
I'm proxying for investigator Rose Quartz who told me that their investigation for the new day said Lily Chen DID kill ksedlar.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:55 pm 
Does someone have a taser or something they can use on lilychen??

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:02 am 
So, the fact that there were four deaths yesterday makes the probability very, very high that Daniel Grazian's death was a hitman kill. Do we still think it's worth an investigation to confirm, or is aok off the hook for that?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:04 am 
Jabberwocky says inisley did not kill ltchin