Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Elected positions
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:33 pm 
This game has aok-style rules that petitions can't exist while someone is in office. This makes things incredibly obnoxious. In particular, having multiple petitions being filled out is a waste of energy. It also makes it more difficult to elect new positions late game. The difficulty of filling out impeachment petitions makes it likely that they will not get used at all. That said, mafia also have good incentive to run for elected positions, so we can't just keep people in office forever.

So, my proposal is that we LYNCH the elected officials on a pre-selected day, barring convincing evidence that someone else should be lynched. For instance, if we were planning to lynch the mayor on day X, but during day X we found good reason to believe someone was mafia, we get a vigilante to kill one of them instead (or push the mayor's lynching back a day).

On that note, I will be running for police officer, with a proposed lynch day of Wednesday (I have an average lifespan of less than that, and I have a bunch of tooling to do Thursday). I recommend the mayor be lynched on Thursday.

I will get petitions filled out tonight after game start (and make a trip to ET under the pretense of getting petitions signed, but actually for the purpose of getting my pizza that I left there yesterday). I will also get a petition filled out for a mayor. Who would like to be my mayor running mate?

Post subject: Re: Elected positions
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:40 pm 
Katie, you claim that you have a role (investigator or superhero) that will let you take advantage of being police office, right?

Also, I'm interested in being mayor and being lynched Thursday.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:39 pm 
Okay, I will take around petitions for myself and aok around tonight/tomorrow. This kind of reminds me of last fall game, actually.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:28 pm 
Not convinced Katie is the best choice for police officer, but I still encourage people to sign our petitions.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:21 pm 
I'm going to head over to EC now. I will get there in ~20 minutes. After that I will head to ET for pizza, um, I mean, petition signatures.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:23 am 
So, after getting the spectacular count of 3 signatures while at EC, I am going to head to ET. If anyone at EC is around, but I didn't locate you, it would be awesome if you could post something here in the next 10 minutes or so.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:54 am 
I have gained a whopping 5 signatures from my 2.5 hours of wandering around looking for people. *sigh*

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:40 am 
Oops sorry I was asleep. I can sign today, and/or pass petitions around my floor if needed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:45 am 
Katie, please try to get me the petitions so I can get them signed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:36 pm 
I think 4 or more of the Simmons players will be in Simmons for at least the next few hours if petitions got here this afternoon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:33 pm 
I'm in Simmons waiting to be let in.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:17 pm 
I will be at ec shortly.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:21 pm 
I'm in the courtyard. Can someone let me in?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:04 pm 
aok, if you're around Flour, Aradhana and Santiago are here and could sign petitions.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:35 pm 
We're 2 signatures short right now. If you're reading this and haven't signed the petitions yet, come knock on my door (Room 314).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:51 pm 
I haven't signed yet and will be on campus tonight if we could meet up then.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:40 pm 
Current status is that I'm short 1 signature and aok is short 2 (we actually miscounted earlier, because we need 22, not 21 signatures). We should be able to get those as soon as Arkadiy/Isaac/Lilly can be found. It is currently unlikely that we can complete the petitions before day end, but that doesn't seem overly problematic given the lack of a kill today. Not sure whether or not I want to push back our scheduled lynch times (I strategically think that makes sense, but was hoping to be free to tool by Thursday). Aok is also more optimistic than me about being able to actually coordinate early impeachments.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:31 pm 
I also haven't signed any petitions yet and is willing to do so (I'm at EC though.... :( )... and I'll be up for like another hour

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:27 am 
Petitions are done. We'll turn them in after there is a kill today (there isn't any benefit to town of having us elected earlier in the day, but it could be beneficial for mafia).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:58 am 
It could be beneficial in order to get impeachment petitions started. How is it beneficial to mafia? (I haven't actually looked at what these roles do, if I'm being silly tell me.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:01 am 
We want the mayor to be investigated for the first kill that happens before they're actually made mayor.

Anyways, my goal is to be impeached Tuesday night, and a new mayor to be elected Wednesday.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:45 am 
Lucy wrote:
It could be beneficial in order to get impeachment petitions started. How is it beneficial to mafia? (I haven't actually looked at what these roles do, if I'm being silly tell me.)

Mafia mayor becomes temporary don, mafia/serial killer PO can kaboom everything.

On the town-benefiting side, mayor/PO have some form of investigation powers (obviously useless before deaths happen), and mayor has Count the Mafia and a triple vote. None of these are likely to make a difference before death 1, whereas don / free kabooms definitely would.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:25 am 
tldr sign the petitions, if reluctantly.

As I told ksedlar, I believe that the ideal mayor/police officer would be an arbitrarily selected 'unknown' candidate (compared to ksedlar and aok.) This is just so that the mafia cannot simultaneously kill/conscript the elected position AND kill/conscript a player who they wanted to kill/conscript anyway.

With that said, I believe that the benefit of these roles (ESPECIALLY of mayor) to the town far outstrips their benefit to the mafia. Given the incredible obnoxiousness of the election mechanic this game, I'd encourage everybody to sign their petitions, unless you seriously think you'll be able to get a different petition finished by the end of the day.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:11 pm 
So I have aok's petition now. Regardless of when I submit it, it will extend day end. Unless a proxy posts that they have an investigator who still needs to investigate aok in the next 5 minutes, I'm going to just submit it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:34 pm 
Presuming that submitting a petition extends day end, I am submitting aok's petition at 10:59 pm, so that we have more time to sort out the tsims claiming gay knight thing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:18 am 
Started a petition to elect vlonge and fmajluf7 to police officer. Other people should feel free to also run.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:28 am 
They're on Pecker now, though they'll go into Isaacs room soon. They might be carted around campus tomorrow to get signatures, I don't really know.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:32 pm 
I want to get these petitions finished at about 6 PM today. When can I stop by Simmons and EC to get signatures?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:36 pm 
I think most SPA people (Frevan, Oreo, Cstubbe, Jeanie, Texas, and myself) should be done by 4 based off when people are usually around, but I could be wrong

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:41 pm 
I can stop by Simmons at 3:30, if that's what works for people.