Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Thoughts on game
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:59 pm 
So Dgrazian and tsims are mafia. Wow, Dgrazian actually hasn't been mafia for a while. Like, since when I conscripted him last summer, and that barely counted. I wonder if people will still be sufficiently suspicious of him. He can dominate town pretty easily if they let him, although the townies are still a pretty strong bunch. Also, I think people will find it easier to read Dgrazian now (especially Josh and Lily), since he has distinct mafia behavior (being less vocal and risk-takey, although that may be less true in a small game). He also can't get away with NOT giving town good advice. There's one more player than last game, and Ama is swapped out for Josh (which seems like a fair trade; Josh is very experienced, but Ama's play last game was pretty excellent). Mafia also don't have don, and depending on their powers, they MAY have fewer investigation manipulation powers.

On that note, can Gods post what powers mafia have this game?

Game intuitively seems like it's probably relatively balanced, given that it was very mafia favored last game (but not so much that town couldn't win) and mafia have been debuffed a bit this game. This game should be fun.

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on game
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:46 am 
I'm disappointed in people's memories of police officer abilities, given that in all the non-summer games with the clue system, I was an investigator-police officer that pretended to be half the investigators in the town. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:52 am 
Here's the mafia power list:
2x KABOOM!
Scheme
3x Set a Trap
Slaughter the Weak
Frame a Townsperson
Manipulate the Press

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:45 pm 
Scheme is the weakest of the three powers in that category (at least for a summer game), but getting frame/manipulate instead of plant evidence is definitely good for mafia (a good chunk of plant evidence power is just town knowledge that the power could exist).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:22 pm 
Mafia is going down a dangerous path right now, IMO. If tsims both makes the kills and pretends to be an investigator, he will have to report 2 accurate investigations per day (1.5 if a spoofing superhero). In a game this size, that is very not good for mafia (although MtP on day 1 will help). Additionally, suspicion may start to fall on Dgrazian if he lives too long; I expect Francesca and Lily in particular will wonder why he hasn't died yet.

IMO it would be much better for Dgrazian to push for mayor and make all the kills himself as long as he's alive. This is good because:
a. It would seem much less out of place for tsims to be alive in the endgame.
b. It would mean either mafia could make a good set-a-trap guess on the police officer, or the police officer wouldn't actually make investigations for town.
c. Mafia would control more votes and would block access to town investigations on the MtP kill.
Police officer kabooms are nice, but it may raise the chance of getting investigated even more.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:06 pm 
What's happened at the mafia meeting so far:
Lgunder claimed an investigative role to volunteer as PO; tsims immediately did the same, people thought this was sketchy (bad play for town); after a lot of discussion and Miranda, Lucy, Alex, Josh being proposed as mayors and lily/Daniel suggesting themselves, they decided on Josh for mayor.
Daniel then also claimed an investigative role, and publicly seconded lily's suspicions of tsims's posting. The PO decision is still happening.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:09 pm 
Game log since day 1 start:
Day 1 start July 20, 2015, 11:03 p.m.
Lucy voted to lynch lgunder July 20, 2015, 11:03 p.m.
lilychen placed Camera 2 in location "Basement hallway of building 18" July 21, 2015, 12:12 p.m.
Jfrisch has updated their conspiracy list for day 2 to: [lilychen, DanielGrazian] July 21, 2015, 5:42 p.m.
Jfrisch was elected to the position of Mayor. July 21, 2015, 7:07 p.m.
DanielGrazian was elected to the position of Police Officer. July 21, 2015, 7:19 p.m.
lilychen has updated their cynic list for day 2 to: [DanielGrazian, Jfrisch] July 21, 2015, 7:21 p.m.
lgunder voted to lynch DanielGrazian July 21, 2015, 7:34 p.m.

Just realized that we didn't ask for spectators again, so the current graveyard residents are just last game's spectators (realistically, just ksedlar :p )

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:27 pm 
Thanks for the game log update! Also, I still can't see webapp content, so could you post the initial item distribution?

Also, lol at Lily and Josh's lists both being a triad of them and Dgrazian.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:50 pm 
Oh yeah, here:
Camera 1 was distributed to ARod1993 at game start July 20, 2015, 11:16 a.m.
Camera 2 was distributed to lilychen at game start July 20, 2015, 11:16 a.m.
Medkit 1 was distributed to lgunder at game start July 20, 2015, 11:16 a.m.
Medkit 2 was distributed to Jfrisch at game start July 20, 2015, 11:16 a.m.
Microphone 1 was distributed to asjm at game start July 20, 2015, 11:16 a.m.
Receiver 1 was distributed to tsims at game start July 20, 2015, 11:16 a.m.
Shovel 1 was distributed to Miranda Gavrin at game start July 20, 2015, 11:16 a.m.
Taser 1 was distributed to DanielGrazian at game start July 20, 2015, 11:16 a.m.
CCTV 1 was distributed to fmajluf7 at game start July 20, 2015, 11:16 a.m.
CCTV 2 was distributed to Lucy at game start July 20, 2015, 11:16 a.m.

Also, this happened:

The mafia have failed to set a trap on lgunder. July 21, 2015, 8:14 p.m.

Not sure what role they guessed, probably either investigator or superhero.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:33 pm 
Hmm, it looks like once again mafia has possession of the mic/receiver pair, which is pretty powerful. On the plus side, town has all the cameras and CCTVs. No idea how active ARod1993 is going to be and if that camera will get used. I'm guessing the basement of building 18 is somewhere Lily will often be? If so then that seems pretty reasonable. Lily should probably tell Lucy where she put the camera. I don't see any downside to telling your corresponding CCTV holder where your camera is, and it could theoretically be useful.

I wonder if mafia will try to trap Lane with superhero/investigator (whichever they didn't guess) tomorrow. If so, they'll fail and have only one trap left, and they may be too worried that Lane bluffed entirely, so maybe they won't be able to trap him as desperado.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:38 pm 
The CCTV is notified as soon as the camera is placed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:41 pm 
Oops. Hadn't realized that. Do they see who placed it?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:51 pm 
Nope

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:32 pm 
Hi guys! So, just so it stays in the records, this is what happened:

I started talking to asjm (as my gay lover), but his phone does not do texting. My phone, on the other side, is incredibly bad with the internet. So I knew I had to get someone else tell him if I died.

After talking to Lucy and Daniel yesterday and today, I realized they both couldn't be mafia, because they acted too secretive. Like, if they were both mafia, they wouldn't want to be associated with each other. So I decided to keep them as my contacts in case of emergencies (like I did last game). Today after the meeting, I purposely told them that I trusted asjm for reasons I cannot reveal. Which should have been pretty obvious that he was my gay knight, as I planned for them to know (did not "let it slip" :P).

I was walking to the stop and stopped to scan the area from a safe location. At first I didn't see anyone, so I kept walking. But then an unfamiliar guy started looking at me and then started sprinting towards me (Taylor was wearing a beanie and glasses as disguise). I managed to send "Tauloe" to both Daniel and Lucy. I was actually surprised to discover Daniel was mafia, knowing that he should've guessed asjm was my gay knight. I was expecting him to set a trap him before he could do anything. But I'm just glad my plan worked ^-^!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:34 pm 
Seriously, Gay Knights OP.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:47 pm 
What a gay summer! First the supreme court decision, then Ama avenging Dgrazian, and now asjm avenging fmajluf7. *throws rainbows at everyone*

Anyway, things are looking bad for mafia. There are way too many innocent looking people right now (asjm, Lucy, lgunder, Lily). And now people know that if person X thinks person Y seems innocent, they can't both be mafia. Also, people who alibi each other are almost certainly not mafia (although hitman could be a possibility), and innocent investigations will be just as valuable. Plus, Dgrazian is going to have a hard time making kills.

IMO, Dgrazian should definitely claim to be poisoned tomorrow. Probably the best person for him to kill is Lucy. He should frame someone when he does it. Either Miranda or Josh. Probably Miranda, as much as it would be nice to get Josh out of the way, because Josh could potentially investigate Miranda, but he wouldn't investigate himself. Getting Miranda lynched is still tough though, because there's a ~50% likelihood Dgrazian would get investigated first. Let's say Miranda gets lynched though. At that point, Dgrazian will have the following townies to defeat:

ARod1993
lgunder
lilychen
Josh Frisch

Probably the best thing to hope for would be to pin the blame on whichever of ARod1993 and Josh made the Miranda investigation, impeaching Josh if it's the latter. Then, Dgrazian would have to count on the other townies to vote to lynch the target, while Dgrazian votes for a tiebreak person. Then Dgrazian can scheme-kill the two he didn't vote for and win via tie-break the next day.

That's my best plan for Dgrazian to win. It would be difficult though, and I don't think Dgrazian is particularly hopeful.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:57 pm 
I don't actually think this game is town biased though. The main thing that has been happening in the past two games is that townies are being spot on with their suspicions and people are getting good at texting quickly. Gay knights should maybe only get one investigation for games this small though...

Also, I want to thank Jammy for being really good at responding to my spectator questions and for keeping graveyard updated! It's almost like being a real ghost. :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:18 am 
lilychen wrote:
An investigator tells me that the press was manipulated on this kill, since no clues were found.

Interesting. The only explanation I can find for this is that Daniel claimed as such to Lily to gain credibility as an "investigative role."

It doesn't look like ARod1993 is going to become active :/ Though this probably helps Daniel's chances since it means Josh is the only current investigation source. We'll see what happens.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:10 pm 
Oh, I had guessed that was ARod1993. If he's not active, then Dgrazian has a much more reasonable chance of winning. I think if he can get Lily to trust him (or at least trust him more than say, Josh and Miranda), then he can get her elected mayor and evade investigation today, maybe even framing someone.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:57 pm 
So... DGrazian just tried to kill Lucy, and they killed each other at the same time. Town has been *very* efficient about killing mafia this game.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:41 pm 
Nice job, Daniel. I didn't read you as mafia at all, even though I immediately picked out tsims as being sketchy.

A bit disappointing that the game was so short! Good job Sammy and Jakob, and thanks so much for running these games!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:55 pm 
I emphatically disagree with anyone claiming that the town was not too strong. I think they had enough power relative to the mafia to roll game.

However, I also think that the town played extraordinarily well and would probably have won even if the parameters had been significantly worse for them. That was a well-deserved victory.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:02 pm 
ksedlar wrote:
Also, I think people will find it easier to read Dgrazian now (especially Josh and Lily), since he has distinct mafia behavior (being less vocal and risk-takey, although that may be less true in a small game).

I think I did a significantly better job with this than I ever have before.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:09 pm 
Daniel Grazian wrote:
ksedlar wrote:
Also, I think people will find it easier to read Dgrazian now (especially Josh and Lily), since he has distinct mafia behavior (being less vocal and risk-takey, although that may be less true in a small game).

I think I did a significantly better job with this than I ever have before.

Yup, you definitely did. I thought you looked pretty innocent.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:10 pm 
Daniel Grazian wrote:
I emphatically disagree with anyone claiming that the town was not too strong. I think they had enough power relative to the mafia to roll game.

However, I also think that the town played extraordinarily well and would probably have won even if the parameters had been significantly worse for them. That was a well-deserved victory.

Yeah, right off the bat I thought mafia was under-powered with respect to town. In particular, mayor and police officer are really strong, and so they don't really scale well for smaller games. Town just had too much investigative power and mafia had too few investigation-thwarting powers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:12 pm 
ksedlar wrote:
Mafia is going down a dangerous path right now, IMO. If tsims both makes the kills and pretends to be an investigator, he will have to report 2 accurate investigations per day (1.5 if a spoofing superhero). In a game this size, that is very not good for mafia (although MtP on day 1 will help). Additionally, suspicion may start to fall on Dgrazian if he lives too long; I expect Francesca and Lily in particular will wonder why he hasn't died yet.

IMO it would be much better for Dgrazian to push for mayor and make all the kills himself as long as he's alive. This is good because:
a. It would seem much less out of place for tsims to be alive in the endgame.
b. It would mean either mafia could make a good set-a-trap guess on the police officer, or the police officer wouldn't actually make investigations for town.
c. Mafia would control more votes and would block access to town investigations on the MtP kill.
Police officer kabooms are nice, but it may raise the chance of getting investigated even more.

1. Mafia having to spoof an extra investigation or two per day is a bit unpleasant, but it's faaarrr better than the town getting an extra investigation per day!
2. I had no chance of getting elected mayor. I took all my luck+skill to get elected police officer.
3. Tsims and I DID come to the conclusion that it would be better for me to kill Lucy. Credit to tsims on that one; he convinced me about that, and I believe he was correct. Even though we both went to the kill site, I was the one who was actually going to make the kill.
4. It was too risky for me to kill Francesca, because there was too high a probability that Lily would come back home in the interim. Also, I thought it was relatively safe for tsims to make the kill, because:
a. Since we were manipulating the press, only the mayor would be able to make an investigation
b. I didn't think that Josh was paying enough attention to find tsims really sketchy.
Of course, this failed in two ways. Francesca got out texts in time, and Francesca was Gay Knight, so her partner could make infallible investigations.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:14 pm 
ksedlar wrote:
Scheme is the weakest of the three powers in that category (at least for a summer game), but getting frame/manipulate instead of plant evidence is definitely good for mafia (a good chunk of plant evidence power is just town knowledge that the power could exist).

I would much rather have scheme than poison, but I would much rather have a hitman than scheme.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:16 pm 
jammy wrote:
Lgunder claimed an investigative role to volunteer as PO; tsims immediately did the same, people thought this was sketchy (bad play for town); after a lot of discussion

I disagree; townie me would likely have been sketched out by lgunder and tsims (though much more by tsims than lgunder.)

However, I tried really hard (and partially successfully) to shift opinions from tsims = supicious -> volunteer police officers = {lgunder, tsims} are suspicious.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:22 pm 
fmajluf7 wrote:
I was actually surprised to discover Daniel was mafia, knowing that he should've guessed asjm was my gay knight. I was expecting him to set a trap him before he could do anything. But I'm just glad my plan worked ^-^!!

That's the one definite mistake I think I made during the game; I should have picked up on that :( Though it could also have meant that he was an innocent child.

I think I still would have set-a-trap on Lane, though. I was virtually certain that he was one of {investigator, superhero, desperado} whereas you might have been baiting set-a-trap.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:24 pm 
ksedlar wrote:
Oh, I had guessed that was ARod1993. If he's not active, then Dgrazian has a much more reasonable chance of winning. I think if he can get Lily to trust him (or at least trust him more than say, Josh and Miranda), then he can get her elected mayor and evade investigation today, maybe even framing someone.

This is exactly what I was aiming for. But I think it was extremely unlikely to succeed, even if Lucy hadn't killed me.